Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

KYB + L tuned springs = bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 08:27 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KYB + L tuned springs = bottoming out

My new to me gs430 came with L-tuned suspension. I believe it was installed around 2014. The front driver side strut was leaking so I replaced both fronts with Excel-Gs. It was my first time replacing S/S but I noticed the struts it came with had shorter pistons than the new KYB(I tried to pull them out to see if they were just worn and stuck but they wouldn't budge). After installing them the car seems to handle bumps better but it also feels like it's riding lower and I'm bottoming out on spots I wasn't before. I'd of thought the new struts would at least maintain the same ride height if not increase it.

I'm not sure what brand the old struts were, they have a sticker that says 0 6 4 04/30/31 2 0060, if that means anything. I assume since the PO said it has L tuned springs and struts springs have the L tuned painted on them that struts are L tuned as well.

My other thought was maybe the springs are worn but why would they the car ride lower and bottom out with new struts and not older leaky ones?

To my knowledge KYB + L tuned springs is a fairly conservative setup so this should be happening.

thanks for any input
Old 08-31-17, 06:57 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding is that L-Tuned springs are from Eibach, and they lower the car about an inch. I wonder if the stock-height shocks are being compressed too far by the shorter springs. I know that Bilstein makes two HD shocks for our cars. The B6 is stock length for stock springs, while the B8 is about an inch shorter for lowered cars. Other members here with the L-Tuned springs will know for sure. Sorry about the issue - it is a fair amount of work to replace the shocks.
Old 09-03-17, 08:02 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltrix
My new to me gs430 came with L-tuned suspension. I believe it was installed around 2014. The front driver side strut was leaking so I replaced both fronts with Excel-Gs. It was my first time replacing S/S but I noticed the struts it came with had shorter pistons than the new KYB(I tried to pull them out to see if they were just worn and stuck but they wouldn't budge). After installing them the car seems to handle bumps better but it also feels like it's riding lower and I'm bottoming out on spots I wasn't before. I'd of thought the new struts would at least maintain the same ride height if not increase it.

I'm not sure what brand the old struts were, they have a sticker that says 0 6 4 04/30/31 2 0060, if that means anything. I assume since the PO said it has L tuned springs and struts springs have the L tuned painted on them that struts are L tuned as well.

My other thought was maybe the springs are worn but why would they the car ride lower and bottom out with new struts and not older leaky ones?

To my knowledge KYB + L tuned springs is a fairly conservative setup so this should be happening.

thanks for any input
Did the original bump stops get reused or new ones purchased? My thought is that if the new ones are too long that explains why you are smacking them. Also the KYB shocks don't really like lowering springs even slight lowering springs in my experience with them.
Old 09-04-17, 08:44 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZanderZ32
Did the original bump stops get reused or new ones purchased? My thought is that if the new ones are too long that explains why you are smacking them. Also the KYB shocks don't really like lowering springs even slight lowering springs in my experience with them.
nah bump stops were toast I replaced them.

so I'm pretty sure I over tightened the strut mounts. I got them tight but didn't torque them. I back them off and used a torque wrench and my car is riding much higher and clearing pot holes/ speed bumps now.
Old 09-06-17, 07:32 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I have KYB shocks and L-tuned springs on my '98 GS4. I have had them on the car for close to 80K and no issues at all. The car has a nice stance and handles pretty good. I also have TRD sways so that helps with the handling as well.
The following users liked this post:
Scorchez (04-23-23)