Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front LCA for $30!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 12:18 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Figured I'd update you all on what I just did.

I placed an order on MiParts for over a grand on 9/23/19 for a dozen sets (12 DS & 12 PS). After I placed my order I tried emailing them a few times to discuss the order with no reply. I eventually dug around and found a different email address and actually got a reply over a month later. Long story short, these are not an existing part. They told me my order was too small and refunded my money. They are more or less looking for someone to order a very large bulk order (I'd assume hundreds or thousands of sets) so they can then develop this. Which I assume means they have absolutely nothing in the works, they would need to start developing casting molds and everything from scratch.

I then hopped on Alibaba to see if there were any other Chinese companies selling 'knock-off' versions of these. There were a couple hits for the part number. I wrote them and got exactly the same response. Basically a bunch of people advertising these, but they don't actually have anything, but with a large enough order they would develop them.

I then wrote Sankie direct asking about buying some of their arms direct. The replied that they do not make a replacement for those oem arms. So I'm not sure where the NAS arms are being made, but I thought that was interesting.

So anyone hoping for some of these $30 MiParts arms, probably not happening.
The following users liked this post:
t2d2 (11-08-19)
Old 11-07-19, 07:51 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

That is some good info Halon. Maybe some big supra vendor will order a giant stock of these at some point in the future but i guess for now we gotta stick to either the NAS arms or Supra oem arms. Ive had the NAS arms for over 2 years now with plenty of highway and some aggressive driving ( along with a few 'oh ****' stops and swerves) and so far they've held up fine. I realize 2 years isn't very long but in my mind if the ball bearings and the castings haven't broken at this point then even if the bushings wear out i can replace them with OEM bushings and keep going for a long time. I figure they were worth it in my book.
Shayy (01-18-20)
Old 12-04-19, 01:49 PM
Halon
Racer

New update. I sent a message to Sankei again with a link to the NAS arms on ebay. I mentioned id like to order some of those same arms. And said I was confused how i see them listed for sale on ebay yet last time they told me they do not make this part.

I got a phone call an hour after i sent them that. It was a Japanese guy from Sankei. He told me that those arms are absolutely NOT Sankei parts and they have zero affiliation with those arms. He said they closed their NAS office a long time ago and that NAS is no longer a business. He actually started questioning me about where I got the arms, who was making them with their old company name, etc. Almost felt like a slight interrogation, lol. I told him i didnt have the arms, just that they have been available for quite awhile now on ebay and that most of us were under the (apparently false) impression they were Sankei based products and i was just interested in ordering some myself direct from them. He was clearly disturbed that someone was out there selling something using their name. He was quite confident that they were Chinese parts. In the end he was actually very nice and he stood by his story that these have no affiliation with Sankei and their former NAS subsidiary, and that these were Chinese parts.

So figured I'd share.
The following 2 users liked this post by Halon:
Kira X (12-10-19), Shayy (01-18-20)
Old 12-06-19, 09:50 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Thank you for sharing this. So a mystery has now been solved but the reality of the answer isn’t a very positive one as to alternatives to the OEM Toyota front lower control arms :/
Old 12-06-19, 11:40 PM
- V -
Instructor

The info is a bit of a let down for sure but to be fair, ive been using the 'NAS' ebay arms for 2 years now and haven't had any issues. I did an oil change about a week ago so had a chance to take a good look at the bushings and balljoint while the car was on jackstands and everything seemed good....dirty, but good. If i had to do it all over again id probably still buy these. I've had to do some very aggressive driving recently with sharp corners and quite a few tire screeching emergency stops and no issues so far. This is all city driving ofcourse so idk how these would hold up if you were to track your car but i imagine if thats your plan you would probably want some adjustable arms anyway.
mrmj2u (12-07-19)
Old 12-15-19, 11:53 PM
2jzali
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only if they were still only 30 dollars
Old 01-07-20, 01:31 PM
Halon
Racer

Anyone notice that the Toyolex "NAS" replica arms shot up in price on eBay? Also, I took a close look at this photo, and it looks to be clearly labeled as "MADE IN CHINA". To me that confirms what the Sankei guy had suspected.

Either way, still sounds like people are having positive results so far even though they are China made. I wonder if his inventory is low, and so he jacked up the price until more stock arrives? Currently they are $340 + shipping per ARM not per SET. Pretty much on par with OEM prices.

Old 01-07-20, 01:55 PM
BeigeSC300
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear UCA Bolts

Originally Posted by bboyjohn04
I would like to say that these were recently installed and the ride feels amazing. I'm in love with my sc400 all over again! It shaves the turn so well now compared to before
How did you get the outside bolts out of the Rear UCA's?

Old 03-05-20, 09:53 AM
clayface
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my set too. Scheduled with my shop for install on my 93

Originally posted a question asking if these were compatible with my 93’ SC400 but because of the price of $385

J

for the pair, I ordered anyway. Being that they come out of Mineola, FL and I live in Orlando, it will not be that big of a deal to send back if the fit isn’t right. I cannot believe how fast they were delivered, literally less than 24 hours! The company that sells them is called Toyolex. If they fit without issue, I am planning on buying another set immediately to stock in my garage. Lexus Parts have these priced at $640 per side! Ridiculous!!

Last edited by clayface; 03-09-20 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Ordered anyway.
Old 03-08-20, 01:24 PM
Rhwins
Driver School Candidate

The worst thing that could happen is that your impact air bags could go off after your "off-road excursion" when the LCA casting fractures under high load (you don't expect it to break when its parked, do you?)
Old 03-08-20, 01:28 PM
Rhwins
Driver School Candidate

There might be a big difference in quality if they are built to a manufacturer's spec. rather than for an after-market seller who just shops for the lowest priced supplier.
Old 03-08-20, 01:41 PM
- V -
Instructor

what is your definition of high load, because I've been driving on these for 2 years now as my daily driver. Multiple high way trips, plenty of sharp corners and hard breaking. I've driven about as aggressive as you can get without going to the track and they have given me no trouble so far. Now to be fair, if you can afford to get the toyota arms then you should, but this is a good budget option.
Old 03-08-20, 02:29 PM
Rhwins
Driver School Candidate

They have been a good value for you- so far. Metal fatigues and becomes brittle with extensive use. (take something metal and bend it; it heats up and eventually breaks) I am not saying the $30 LCA's are inferior or dangerous; but you don't get more than you pay for, from successful vendors. These cost 10% of what other vendors are selling for. Just sounds too good to be true.
Old 03-09-20, 03:26 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhwins
They have been a good value for you- so far. Metal fatigues and becomes brittle with extensive use. (take something metal and bend it; it heats up and eventually breaks) I am not saying the $30 LCA's are inferior or dangerous; but you don't get more than you pay for, from successful vendors. These cost 10% of what other vendors are selling for. Just sounds too good to be true.
That may or may not be true, we just don't know that. There are methods to test the quality of parts but price alone is not always a good measurement.

A few days ago someone posted that they are making an aftermarket set for LCAs, I checked them out and it appears to be made by a person in the US who drifts their SC. The price I believe is $400 or so for both control arms and the ball joints are serviceable. All in all I'm glad aftermarket is increasing for our cars and most of us have been on the look out for affordable LCAs.
Old 03-16-20, 12:53 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhwins
You aren't bending the metal past the yield strength of the steel in these arms. In fact I doubt the steel even reaches the endurance limit given the relative bending stress to it's yield. The weak point on these arms will most likely be the ball joints or the bushings.

Quick Reply: Front LCA for $30!?!?!