Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can someone explain how to reset bushings after suspension install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 08:47 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Can someone explain how to reset bushings after suspension install?

Since no one answered my questions in the sticky, I am going to make a thread. I've searched for the answer but all I find is vague answers on how to properly reset the bushings after any suspension work install. I have a set of new new BC coilovers that I want to install myself. Where I am not confident is the bushing resetting. I've seen the diagrams of what to loosen and torque to specs; however, I don't know how exactly it is done. Do I jack up car, remove wheel, loosen bolts, put wheel back on, lower car and put load on the suspension, jack up the car again, remove wheel, and then torque to specs?
Old 09-29-17, 12:32 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rubber style bushings are designed to be torqued at ride height/loaded suspension. When you lower the car, you alter the neutral/resting point of the bushing from factory height.

I just loosened mine with suspension drooped, loaded the control arm with my jack until it just came off the jack stand under the frame rail, then torqued it to spec again.
The following users liked this post:
Eminence (02-01-18)
Old 09-29-17, 12:53 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you should put a load on your suspension while torquing the suspension down.

I did the following when installing my coilovers. I started with the rears.
1) Loosen wheel lugs while car is still on the ground.
2) Jack the car up from the rear jack points per manual.
3) Place jack stands on the rear jack stand points per manual.
4) Spray some PB Blaster on the bolts/nuts to make them easier to get off. I actually did this on the front and rear and let the car sit over night.
5) Take the opportunity to make sure that the coilovers are properly preloaded (go to youtube) and the ride heights are the same between the two coilovers to make adjusting later on easier.
6) Remove wheel that you will work on first. Put wheel under car to protect you should the jack stands fail.
7) Uninstall old rear suspension and install new coilovers.
8) You'll likely have to adjust the suspension ride height multiple times over, which will entail removing/reinstalling the coliover, wheel, etc...rince, repeat. After you're happy with the one side's ride height, take a few measurements of the coilover settings.
8) Induce a load on the suspension by jacking up the beefiest portion of the carrier assembly/knuckle until the side of the car is slightly raised off of the jack stand. Push down on the top of the car a few times on that side, then proceed to torque to spec.
9) Repeat for the opposite side, then the front suspension.
Old 09-29-17, 01:23 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you for the inputs. I understand now. 4mm preload is good enough (thickness of a spanner wrench)?
Old 11-28-17, 08:55 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Perhaps you may have missed the point? ^^
In simple terms, drive the car onto a lift so it is supporting itself on the tires and loosen all rubber bushed pinch bolts, bounce on the car and tighten the pinch bolts at its new ride height.

This action unloads the strain on the rubber so the core is not ripped from the rubber pivots.

Primarily lower shock mounts, inner A arm pivots, upper A arm pivots...