Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about this type of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-03 | 12:36 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2g4u2c
..... But anyways, i bought these tires and it looks riddiculous with the lower side wall...Plus the Eibach drop is only like an inch so no real compromise in ride quality...Thanks for the support all!

Alohas,
The G-Child
My 0.02: The Eibach drop, even though it is hardly noticeable, will surely make your butt-o-meter needle needle move up. This in combination with Bilstein Sports shocks.

I had this setup before and decided that since the drop is "hardly noticeable" but my spinal vertebrae meter is redlining especially on long drives and the car creaking more, I changed out the springs to OEM. The result was phenomenal. The negatives are that the ride appeared higher than stock and the firmness is just a tad a little over my liking on long drives. Aditionally, there was the loud "thud" in the rears when going over parking lot bumps at just 5 mph. I have 17s and I was thinking, the ride on 16s should be perfect with this setup. Regardless, this offered the best compromise and I can live with it forever. Body roll is better than a GS equipped with L-tuned combo/TRD blue sways as I was able to compare in a back-to-back testing. The other GS with the L-tuned/TRD even had 18s so I was surprised there quite a bit.

Now that the "lifted" look began to bother me, I changed over to L-tuned shocks/springs. I wasn't kidding when I said earlier that it appeared higher than stock ride. Perhaps the Bilstein in some ways tend to assist the springs to perch-up the car.

With L-tuned, it should have been the stock component. Anyway, it rides like the Bilstein shock/OEM springs but on the softer side by just a hair. I can hardly tell the difference in fact. The ride height is actually lower than the Bilstein/Eibach combo. It is "tuned" very well with the car. Parking lot bump "thud" has disappeared. Long freeway drives are most pleasant nowadays...and this I can notice very well. I'm pleased.
Old 07-11-03 | 01:11 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

whitels - Great post and very glad you have a suspension that you like. A question, have you also changed sways or not, I can't really tell from your post. Also, I have noticed that when you go to bilsteins they do seem to raise the car a bit (may be crazy but it sure looks like it even on bimmers). But they do eventually lose a bit of that, just a bit of the nitrogen leaking out? Who knows.

Absolutely nothing like getting that handling you want and a happy buttometer.
Old 07-11-03 | 02:09 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

RON430-

I still have the stock sways. Down the line I know I will begin to look into it but for now. I'm enjoying the ride.

Yes, the "lifted" look happened with the Bilstein. Comparing the compression resistance between the Bilstein and the L-tuned (fronts), the L-tuned is way too easy to compress. This is when you try to compress an un-installed shocks by putting your weight on it towards the ground. On the rears, the two are almost similar with Bilstein just a tad offering more resistance.

There are times on the L-tuned now, especially on the freeway, when I wished it is a hair firmer like the Bilstein/OEM spring combo. I can feel the tendency for the car to rebound more than before (when it had the Bilstein/OEM). But I guess, that's what you get when you want a more comfy ride. Interestingly though, there are times also when I wished the L-tuned was softer especially on bad freeway or street repaired roads. But then again, that's how I knew that I have finally reached the best compromise. I wish I had the TEMS (from the old Supra). But in 90% of driving, I am really satisfied.
Old 07-11-03 | 03:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

As a genuine old fart, a senior moment is allowed. I am trying to remember on the licensees of the deCarbon patent but I am pretty sure that bilstein and kyb licensed the patent for the nitrogen pressurized shock and use a low pressure setup while Koni opted for a high pressure setup that makes a big difference. The valving should only impact the shock response while the nitrogen pressure is to prevent foaming but from experience, the two different approaches produce a very different "feel" in the shock. Heck, if you are happy with your setup, no sense mucking with anything, just enjoy.