Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Driving Freeway Speeds Cant Go Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 12:48 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Freeway Speeds Cant Go Straight

I'm about to go crazy and I don't know where to turn to so maybe someone here can help?

I bought an IS250 2014 CPO last April.

Ever since then I noticed the car can't go straight during speeds of 65mph+. While driving 65mmph+ the car likes to go left and right as if it isn't aligned.
But the thing is, the car IS aligned. Lexus Dealership aligned it for me and I have brought up this complaint and their master mechanic has checked it out twice.

Maybe the shocks went bad? So I swapped out stock shocks to F Sport shocks with half down RS-R lowering springs and also installed RR USRS.

After alignment the car still doesn't drive straight! Literally goes left and right inside of the lane like its unaligned. It's a little more than subtle, not major but very noticeable when it goes left and right.

Maybe it was the tires? I replaced them with Michelin Super Sports and it still doesn't drive straight.

Lexus has seen my car 3x already and the master mechanic checked it out twice while I was there.
The Master Mechanic drove my car with me twice in the freeway and was at speeds of around 50-55 in the slow lane and didn't experience what I experienced so everything was "normal".
They won't dig deeper into my problem and I'm not sure where to turn anymore.

Can anyone please chime in their .02 and maybe we can brainstorm to figure this out?
Lexus has checked it and everything is supposedly normal but I drive this thing everyday and I know it isn't normal.
Old 03-05-18, 05:59 AM
Sharmouta
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first guess is that it may have been in an accident that was undocumented before you bought it, but usually that would make it pull to the left OR the right, not both.
Old 03-05-18, 09:25 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

To reiterate what Sharmouta stated above, the vehicle cannot pull/wander left AND right, it has to be one or the other, if it's an alignment issue.
From everything you replaced so far, the tires would have been the most likely cause of what you're describing.
So i think at this point you can eliminate the alignment and tires as possible causes.
There is another thread on here that describes something similar...some suggestions were given to reset the Steering ECU, as if may have been an electronic steering source of the wandering.
As there are many members on here from California, perhaps if you can identify which Freeway you are on, they can comment if they are having, or had, similar issues.
If you have a printout from the last alignment, please post, just in case there is something there that might have been overlooked.
Also, what tire pressures do you have currently set on the vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
l0l0pr (04-13-20)
Old 03-05-18, 09:27 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Here is the link to the thread mentioned above: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-unstable.html
Old 03-05-18, 09:52 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I almost have the same setup as you, just without the lowering springs. I had similar "feeling" when I first purchased the car back in 2014. For me it was the difference coming form hydraulic steering vs electric steering. But it was very subtle and felt better in Sport+ mode.

Does your steering feel "floaty" or does it actually move around? Check for leaky shocks since they tend to get blown very quickly with lowering springs, maybe re-tighten your USRS kit, there is a possibility of tramlining with MPSS on rough roads (although I never had this issue on my MPSS but then again I don't drive much on freeway), and what Sanuke said.
Old 03-05-18, 10:06 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
To reiterate what Sharmouta stated above, the vehicle cannot pull/wander left AND right, it has to be one or the other, if it's an alignment issue.
From everything you replaced so far, the tires would have been the most likely cause of what you're describing.
So i think at this point you can eliminate the alignment and tires as possible causes.
There is another thread on here that describes something similar...some suggestions were given to reset the Steering ECU, as if may have been an electronic steering source of the wandering.
As there are many members on here from California, perhaps if you can identify which Freeway you are on, they can comment if they are having, or had, similar issues.
If you have a printout from the last alignment, please post, just in case there is something there that might have been overlooked.
Also, what tire pressures do you have currently set on the vehicle?
My Tire Pressure is usually 37-38psi hot.

I'll go ahead and give that steering ecu a reset and see if that helps..

I'm in San Diego and any freeway I'm on it doesn't drive straight.
Old 03-05-18, 10:17 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I almost have the same setup as you, just without the lowering springs. I had similar "feeling" when I first purchased the car back in 2014. For me it was the difference coming form hydraulic steering vs electric steering. But it was very subtle and felt better in Sport+ mode.

Does your steering feel "floaty" or does it actually move around? Check for leaky shocks since they tend to get blown very quickly with lowering springs, maybe re-tighten your USRS kit, there is a possibility of tramlining with MPSS on rough roads (although I never had this issue on my MPSS but then again I don't drive much on freeway), and what Sanuke said.
It isn't floaty, it moves around. I wouldn't say its subtle but it's very noticeable and I'm always having to correct it so I'm driving as straight as possible.
Old 03-06-18, 02:06 AM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you tried having a friend or family member drive it on the freeway to see if they notice anything off? A fresh perspective can always help.
Old 03-09-18, 04:09 PM
stephenmat
Rookie

today I was driving my 17 IS300 AWD on the highway at about 85 and felt the same "floaty" type thing you are speaking about it almost feels like the wind is grabbing you and pulling you around.
Old 03-12-18, 03:32 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stephenmat
today I was driving my 17 IS300 AWD on the highway at about 85 and felt the same "floaty" type thing you are speaking about it almost feels like the wind is grabbing you and pulling you around.
Wow, did you only feel this when it was 85+?

I swear im going crazy, when I went to the dealerships a few times and got a loaner cars they didn't feel like my car getting pulled side to side.
Old 03-15-18, 09:08 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by roneezy
Wow, did you only feel this when it was 85+?

I swear im going crazy, when I went to the dealerships a few times and got a loaner cars they didn't feel like my car getting pulled side to side.
hey roneezy, welcome back LOL the steering issue didn't fix ? now your car is lowered ! if other suggestion didn't fix last year you should reset the steering ECU, but if i were you i just replace the Steering rack, because new tires new shock did everything still don't work, MAster Lexus couldn't replicate now go for expensive one, i don't have your car i can't guaranty but in my mind your Steering linkage/gear has gone wild, go back to dealer tell them to take a look at your steering linkage and gear before the ecu reset, if this still don't work, sorry man i think your car has been in an accident or the Subframe has been dropped, thats why folks always mentioned if a car involved in an accident it will not drive straight like normal.

Tires are the most part that causes wandered and then Bad/damage lower control bushing,excessive caster also makes car shimmy and then along with steering gear linkage and body frame/subframe, sorry to hear you having this problem for so long, i know exactly how you feel when STEERING SYSTEM bothers you, go to other Dealership , i don't think that Master Lexus wants to fix your car, i'm sure he knows exactly what happen to your Lexus IS
Old 03-15-18, 09:46 PM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Solara350
hey roneezy, welcome back LOL the steering issue didn't fix ? now your car is lowered ! if other suggestion didn't fix last year you should reset the steering ECU, but if i were you i just replace the Steering rack, because new tires new shock did everything still don't work, MAster Lexus couldn't replicate now go for expensive one, i don't have your car i can't guaranty but in my mind your Steering linkage/gear has gone wild, go back to dealer tell them to take a look at your steering linkage and gear before the ecu reset, if this still don't work, sorry man i think your car has been in an accident or the Subframe has been dropped, thats why folks always mentioned if a car involved in an accident it will not drive straight like normal.

Tires are the most part that causes wandered and then Bad/damage lower control bushing,excessive caster also makes car shimmy and then along with steering gear linkage and body frame/subframe, sorry to hear you having this problem for so long, i know exactly how you feel when STEERING SYSTEM bothers you, go to other Dealership , i don't think that Master Lexus wants to fix your car, i'm sure he knows exactly what happen to your Lexus IS

You remember this almost a year ago? lmao wow

I have service coming soon in 1-2 weeks so I'll ask if they can kindly give it a look. The thing I didn't mention in the opening post is that a regular mechanic drove my car after I complained and he acknowledged and felt my problem... Yet when the master mechanic came around and took a look at it again he said it was normal. So yeah they probably don't want to help me out even though this CPO was from this freaking dealership.

We'll see what they have to say in a bit and I'll act on that. Maybe bring it to another dealership before I throw in the towel. I honestly can't take this anymore it's driving me nuts.
Old 03-20-18, 12:23 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at this thread I just posted in the general forum section... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10147926
The following users liked this post:
roneezy (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 01:53 PM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luisvm
Take a look at this thread I just posted in the general forum section... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10147926
Thank you for the heads up, good to know im not the only one experiencing issues.

Maybe I'll go to another dealership and try to get this resolved there. I just been dealing with it everyday and it sucks.

Where in California are you located?

Last edited by roneezy; 03-20-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 09:18 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by roneezy
Thank you for the heads up, good to know im not the only one experiencing issues.

Maybe I'll go to another dealership and try to get this resolved there. I just been dealing with it everyday and it sucks.

Where in California are you located?
roneezy how ya doing with your Steering system, are they fixed ? fell sorry because you got annoying with steering for a year ! if i were you ill contact Lexus Corporation . In general forum there a Thread related to your issue, check it out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...long-post.html

Quick Reply: Driving Freeway Speeds Cant Go Straight