Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best way to diagnose my steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 02:29 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best way to diagnose my steering problem?

Greetings,

I've had my SC400 for a few years now and I've always had problems with the steering suddenly feeling like the power steering is non existent. I've replaced the power steering pump and also replaced the single power steering line (driftmotion) with another which solved some problems with the power steering fluid disappearing from the reservoir (power steering fluid was leaking from this line). This was a year ago or more. Although this never really solved the problem where if I would drive the car for a while, it would become tough to turn the car at a dead stop. It would once again feel like my power steering is non existent and has also become apparent when driving around for a while..

The steering goes stiff immediately after tracking the car once. At first I thought a power steering cooler would suffice but I don't think the car would feel like there isn't any power steering after only one lap at the track.. but I could be wrong.
I'm thinking it could be a sign that the rack and pinion or perhaps the rack bushings my be going bad. What are the best ways to test if my rack is bad? Should I be testing it while the vehicle's front tires are in the air or on the ground?

On a side note, In order to keep the car going straight I have to put the steering wheel in the 10-11 o'clock area.

Thanks in advance.