Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 05:22 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Alright guys, I installed the Akebono ASP 1118’s today. I must say I feel NO difference going from the stock high dust pads to these. I only drove like 10 miles on them, but I don’t feel a difference. MAYBE just maybe a little difference in bite which I thought was going to be much worse in the bite dept, but honestly not much of a difference there either. I haven’t tested them with braking hard yet so I will update again after I go on a rampage
The following users liked this post:
Shishi (07-15-18)
Old 07-29-18, 04:09 PM
Shishi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Akebono ASP 1118 in the fronts and they are great for the driving I do 80 Highway / 20 City. The best part is no more black brake dust, goals met. 300 Miles done so far.
Old 07-30-18, 05:16 PM
monoglot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
There's also a reason BMWs have been praised for decades for its world class brakes but notorious for having "BMW brake dust." Ask any performance BMW owner (or Porsche for that matter) and they'll tell you about their wheels turning black. If there was a secret sauce for having your cake and eating it too (high performance and no dust) some billion dollar automaker would've found it by now.

You may perceive your car as not having any brake degradation cause you can physically stop it "fast." with your akebono low dust pads. you'll even be able to engage ABS during a panic stop (as any Camry can) but there is a difference, particularly under high stress repeated stops, particularly with high performance tires.

Not to say the F Sport pads are the end all be all. It's still a street pad. You just have to decide where on the spectrum you want to be and that nothing comes for free
Sorry if you mentioned it, but which brake pads do you use?

Edit: Saw you use performance brakes. Do you use the f sport ones?
Old 07-30-18, 05:18 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monoglot
He uses the OEM Lexus brake pads, the ones with a lot of bite but high brake dust.
Old 07-31-18, 12:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by monoglot

Edit: Saw you use performance brakes. Do you use the f sport ones?
Yes-I am using the professional original equipment (OE) Genuine Lexus F Sport high friction brake pads. They are sourced from Germany, by the same company that has been BMW's supplier for high performance pads for decades. So you know they have a strong reputation behind them. Good stuff for the street. Just dirty!
Old 08-02-18, 07:26 PM
henrymc8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yes-I am using the professional original equipment (OE) Genuine Lexus F Sport high friction brake pads. They are sourced from Germany, by the same company that has been BMW's supplier for high performance pads for decades. So you know they have a strong reputation behind them. Good stuff for the street. Just dirty!
Are you using from your the part number from other thread?

Front Pad Sets
IS200t/IS300/IS350 with F Sport: 0446530500
Old 08-03-18, 09:09 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

yes ebay $50 shipped.
Old 08-12-18, 07:14 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the consensus here? Any additional feedback now that some of you have had the ASPs installed longer?
Old 08-12-18, 07:16 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skottydznt
whats the consensus here? Any additional feedback now that some of you have had the ASPs installed longer?
They are perfect for daily driving. All you will lose is a minor amount of initial bite. I only changed the front pads to the ASP’s. I didn’t get the ACT’s for the rear since I don’t have a problem with brake dust in the rears. So happy not having my wheels turning black within 2 days after cleaning them.
Old 08-13-18, 08:34 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Flash,

My biggest concern besides dust is the longevity of the pad itself. I only got 15k out of my front pads from the factory so would ideally like a little more life. Any thoughts on longevity with the ASPs or its far too early to tell? Also, whyd you go with ASP over ACT?
Old 08-13-18, 09:51 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skottydznt
Thanks Flash,

My biggest concern besides dust is the longevity of the pad itself. I only got 15k out of my front pads from the factory so would ideally like a little more life. Any thoughts on longevity with the ASPs or its far too early to tell? Also, whyd you go with ASP over ACT?
The ACT’s will last you the longest without a doubt. I’ve heard of people going like 30k and even more sometimes with normal driving on those. The ASP’s give you better braking performance but will not last as long as the ACT’s. I prefer a good compromise between the F Sport pads and the ACT’s. It’s personal preference that’s why I went with the ASP’s and also because those are the ones I use on my G37S and they work really well.
Old 08-13-18, 06:03 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Idk if my brakes are defective or something but I don’t get the initial “bite” that everyone else talks about with our f sport brakes. I even replaced them with brand new OEM pads and the brake feel was the same. Now when I drive the honda accord we have at home that cars brakes have a very noticeable initial bite which has me confused
Old 08-13-18, 06:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Miintt
Idk if my brakes are defective or something but I don’t get the initial “bite” that everyone else talks about with our f sport brakes. I even replaced them with brand new OEM pads and the brake feel was the same. Now when I drive the honda accord we have at home that cars brakes have a very noticeable initial bite which has me confused
I think you’re misinterpreting what I’m saying. When I say that the F Sport pads have more bite I mean it in relation to the Akebono’s. I forget if it’s this thread or another that I said this, but the bite and stopping power even with the f sport pads on the IS F Sports is not very good at least to me because my G37S brake calipers and pads bite and stop WAYYYY better than my IS. I’m talking neck breaking if I stomp on the brakes. I can only imagine if I had pads on my G37S that were the high dust high bite type of material but I have Akebono ASP’s on that one too.
Old 08-13-18, 06:51 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
The difference is usually in feel to most people. It's the off/on feeling of brakes. But when referring to bite, it's more of the initial grab and immediate stopping power when you tap on the brake pedal. A lot of modern cars tend to feel like they have "bite" but that's because there's a lot of dead travel in the pedal and then the "on" happens (if that makes sense).

Initial bite in a good braking system should progress to linear braking so the transition isn't harsh but you come to a quick stop. When the feeling of initial bite is lost, or diminished, you hope for a continuous strong linear brake feel. The opposite would be losing the initial bite, and have brake fade almost immediately which gives you that squishy, foot to the floor, oh ***** why aren't I stopping fast enough, feeling.

Hopefully that made some sense lol. It does in my head anyways.
Old 08-21-18, 06:34 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Replaced my wife's IS250 F-Sport front brakes with R1 Concepts Carbon Alloy rotors and Akebono ACT1178 pads, so far the initial bite is the same as the OEM. Only driven about 30 miles on them so will see how much of an improvement to the Brake dust is after more miles.

Quick Reply: Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance