Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Where to start to improve ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 11:48 AM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start to improve ride quality

My 06' is350 just hit 150k miles but I'm going to hold on to it indefinitely, or at least another 150k miles. The ride has always been really stiff and to my understanding thats a combination of the tires and the shocks/springs.

From recent service, my mechanic has mentioned that my shocks are weeping fluid, but to my understanding, weeping should result in less efficacy in terms of controlling the springing from the, well, springs. In my case, its the opposite because as I mentioned, the ride is super firm. So while replacing the shocks might be good for just overall general maintenace, is this weeping issue not likely contributing to the firm ride?

What I'm planning to do is research a softer tire and just replace the shocks for maintenance, but I'm wondering what the best way would be to get a softer smoother ride in general, without really sacrificing performance. I also want to purchase sway bars front and rear because I hate the body roll in this car. Also, more responsive steering would be good as well. Finally, to my understanding, when doing this job, I need to reset or replace the bushings apparently?

What else should I look into in this case to get my car running more smoothly?
Old 07-22-18, 01:53 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Could try downsizing the wheel and increasing the amount of tire wall you have, but you'd sacrifice steering response. I run Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and I think they ride extremely well even with the stiffer sidewall and grip, so I'm anticipating the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S should be just as good. First I'd get the shocks replaced first. Either OEM or maybe get an adjustable coilover to reduce the ride height but has damper control to increasing the dampening.
Old 07-23-18, 04:51 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Can you post a picture of your car sonwe can possibly gain more information on the car? Maybe there are some fsport suspension goodies on there making it feel stiff. Mine rides great even with the H&R springs. So it’s kind of strange yours is stiff.
Old 07-23-18, 04:52 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting coil overs with dampers is a good way to get a smoother ride.

For steering, have you looked into the ISF steering ECU or a Steering damper? The steering damper is a weight that goes behind the airbag on the wheel, causing the wheel to feel stiffer and heavier.
Old 07-24-18, 06:01 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I would definitely start with more sidewall (45), RC-F LCAB, and just replace the shocks. As stated IS-F steering ecu.

2013 350 F-Sport, added IS-F rear sway bar (later years are best) and IS-F LCAB. Tires are BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S 225/255 40R18. I like the ride as is, not one passenger has ever said the ride is too harsh.
I do wish the steering was firmer at lower speeds but thats it. Oh its DD w/ 70k mi on it. The last 20k by me.