Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 08:07 PM
James
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arms

This is mainly for Todd from TM but I appreciate all feedback. Given that Todd is convinced my problem is my lower control bushings, I would like to know if I should specify newer model year lower control arms as replacements for my 1992 SC400. I've heard that Lexus improved the SC400 lower control arm bushing design over the years but I'm not sure if they actually changed the design/geometry of the arm itself. I'm not in a position to use TM's bushing replacements as turnaround/time is an issue with the cost being secondary.

Please let me know which model year lower control arms I should specify when it goes in for replacements.

Cheers,
James
Old 07-24-03, 08:45 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

James,

If you want to pay $1000 with install for new arms. Late model 98+ arms would be great. They are not much different in make up and identical in geometry. The bushings that Daizen manufacturer take only minutes to install into the arm. The time to swap arms is about 10mins faster. I would prefer to spend 30mins more of shop time and $99 for the bushings for a whopping total of $350 vs $1000. I would have to say, if I were taking it all apart again, I would order the Daizen Alignment Kit at the same time.

MW
Old 07-25-03, 10:33 AM
Pen
Rookie

This from the ALSC site:

Andrew Vlamos from Brisbane has been hard at work. He can now supply an exact replica of the Toyota bushes for the lower control arms of your Soarer. These are identical. Right down to factory hardness, tension and torque characteristics.

Made from spun steel and rubber, they are available for front and rear of the lower control arms.

Lot's of people have fitted them and rave about the improvement.
Read a full article here:
http://www.planetsoarer.com/bushes/bushes.htm

Last edited by LS400; 07-27-03 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-25-03, 09:39 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fresh stock parts or clone parts will work quite well, but remember that they will fail again due to the DESIGN of the arms and the suspension. Since you can't redesign the suspension, you will have to live with this if you intend to keep your SC for any length of time. This is your choice of course. If you aren't going to keep the car for much longer, then it's not a big deal. But at the same time you are spending a lot more when you are not going to keep it for much longer.

If you can promise to get your arms out without damaging the ball joint boots, we can do an exchange with some of our arms we have on hand. We'll just have to charge you a core fee that will be refunded upon receipt of comparable condition arms. That can cut down virtually all of your service time, other than removal and replacement. We charge $150 for the labor to preinstall the bushings on the arms, or you can get this done on your own prior to removing your existing arms.

Just some other stuff to think about...

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 07-25-03, 10:20 PM
Pen
Rookie

Consider that the bushes have lasted 10 years, good quality replacements should last for another 10 years. It isn't really a design fault, just that the rubber in the bush has a lifespan.

Suggest anyone with tramlining problems, or any other problem related to the front end have a read of the full article on planetsoarer.com

http://www.planetsoarer.com/bushes/bushes.htm
Old 07-25-03, 10:29 PM
James
Driver School Candidate

Hi Gents,
Thanks for the interesting info, especially that about the fellow in Australia with the factory-spec replacements. One thing though, I still may be in a position where I have to replace the entire arm due to time issues and want to know if I could install newer model year arms that perhaps have an improved bushing design but the same mechanical design/geometry.

Cheers,
James
Old 07-26-03, 09:41 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer style arms are very similar to the Supra arms, but I don't think it'll be worth it for you cost-to-benefit wise. I'm sure you'd be very happy swapping out the bushings in your existing arms, especially if TM can set you up with pre-fitted arms as he said. He's the expert on this, I suggest you defer to his judgement James...

- Jon
Old 07-26-03, 09:54 PM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

Andrews bushes really are excellent. I've heard nothing but good things from ALSC about them... probably worth the effort of getting them from Brissy...
Old 07-27-03, 01:26 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Advertising
Advertising of any kind is prohibited in any posting area of ClubLexus forums. Individuals interested in advertising on ClubLexus should contact us at advertising@clublexus.com. All the advertising threads will either be moved or closed.

Last edited by legendary; 07-30-03 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 12:35 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

which are better, Daizen or Andrew's??
Old 07-27-03, 02:30 PM
CrazeeSC
Rookie

The Daizens are far better, as they are an upgrade rather than a replacing of the stock improperly engineered part!!!

Copying something that fails isn't too smart, but making a new and improved version is much smarter!!!
Old 07-27-03, 03:28 PM
Pen
Rookie

I don't know anything about the Daizen's, nor would I cast aspersions on what might be a fine product, but I would take issue to your unsubstantiated claim that they must be better, just because they are different.
Rather than any hype, I would be guided more by users own experiences, they might have no barrow to push.
As I will soon be in the market for bushes myself, I would be happy to hear of anyones experiences with the Daizen bushes, as the success of Andrew's bushes is pretty well documented.
There are also comments in the various forums (ALSC, LSOC etc) about the plastic style of bushes (including Daizens) degrading the ride quality or handling and requiring regular greasing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...h&pagenumber=2

So, can we hear from anyone with the Daizen bushes fitted?
Old 07-27-03, 09:45 PM
James
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,
Here's how I see it. I *****ed to Lexus Canada (in a professional way) about not being able to buy replacement bushings but you know their line; too bad so sad. Given that my car will be 12 years old this September and the bushes didn't start showing their age until last year, I have a bias to factory engineering. As I mentioned earlier, I was going to replace the control arms until a few of you fine folks told me about Andrew. Being a chemical engineer with specialization in plastics/rubbers, I'm most impressed with what Andrew did as matching the rubber compound viscosity/hardness is exactly what needed to be done, never mind the housing, slots, etc.

As much as we all appreciate what Todd has done, I am not in a position to deal with regreasing these types of bushes and squeaking drives me around the bend so that's why I would have paid the price for new arms.

Personally, the saga of Toyota not selling the control arm bushes separately is now resolved and I am assuming that Andrew will become the supplier of OEM SC300/400 and Soarer control arm bushings.

Mine will be on their way this week.

Cheers and thanks again for the excellent reference as you saved me a load of money.

James
Old 07-27-03, 09:55 PM
Pen
Rookie

Well put, just in the process of ordering mine also from Andrew.
Old 07-28-03, 07:03 AM
kurt
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, my n/a supra seems to have the same symptoms as every one else with worn out bushings. won't hold alingment, creeking poping on uneven road. i know the supra and sc are similar so could i just purchase Andrews bushings for my 95 supra?

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arms