Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering wheel shake over 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 06:20 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel shake over 65mph

Hello, i have a 98' gs300 that im building for street/track some drifting time attack autocross whtever comes on the way,
I have done:
Ksport coilovers
New front sway bar end links
Superpro(Figs) Sway bars front and rear
Superpro(Figs) Lower caster arm bushings Poly
OEM Upper control arms
Tie rods inner and outter were replaced not long ago with Acdelco pro-line
Lower control arm Poly Bush Siberian Bushings
Whitline steering rack Poly bushes
Moog new ball joints
Cusco Strut Bar
Endless SSY pads
Brembo Xtra performance Rotors
Did not re-align after upper arms but did balance wheels and car still shaking steering wheel and small front end vibrations, i did order 30mm Roll center adjusters, car was aligned half year ago and its 2+- inch lowered. Thanks
Old 02-02-19, 06:22 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

I doubt my whitline bushes because they were a bit bigger than old bushes and i did cut some of the poly on main big bush and it did fit tight, but idk
Old 02-02-19, 12:47 PM
firelizard

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

But did you try searching?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=20459792
Old 02-02-19, 02:42 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

YES i did try searching and so much times, if you look up i described all mods very good because when i search they ask him to check many things so i figured out that i should mention all my suspension works so people help can be more accurate also most people who post do not list any where close to the work i did so they multiple things to check. next time keep that unhelpful comment for yourself. thanks
Old 02-03-19, 06:50 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

This guy and that SaiyanGS guy live to post rude comments. Never help with anything, don't pay attention to them or waste time responding. His link doesn't even lead to anything. Nice

My question to you is, have you been replacing parts to chase this issue, or has it come after you've started making changes? If the later, you will need to go over your work and double check settings, bolts for tightness, etc. What wheels and tires are you running? using spacers? offsets normal or far from oem?
Old 02-03-19, 06:56 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanks for replying.
Im just building the car but as i did all those changes i always thought im getting rid of steering shakes and small bumpsteer. my goal actually is to make car handle and performance better but as i did all that also there must be no steering shakes, i agree with vibrations because very stiff setup all poly bushes thick and supper stiff bars and coilovers but my problem is the steering wheel shake. Tires are Toyo t1sport proxes on all wheels, i run stock wheels with no spacers. also as i remmember -1 camber front and caster was close to equal
Old 02-03-19, 10:20 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Are you doing the balance yourself or having a shop do it? Some inexperienced techs just do a static balance on everything and call it good. The car will feel like garbage and they wont know or care because they never test drive up to speeds over 45. Some will also not mention that a wheel is bent or damaged and taking a lot of weight. Its just a get it in and get it out of their hair kind of attitude. Id try the same shop and mention that you think there's a problem with the balance and have it checked again. Balancing is done by lower level mechanics in shops. Or try another shop and ask to know how far out they are before removing weights.
Old 02-03-19, 10:26 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for trying to help, but my friend is only tires/wheel shop already years and he balanced it so accuarte, i dont think its wheels at all no bends and did balance everywheel on the car, i think its just because car is lowered or becuase i did cut steering rack big bush but it was tight. my RCA on the way will bolt them up and see what happens, also i have bad rack it leaks but it works okay maybe its the problem too, but as i asked many pro mechanics they told me rack never makes the car shaking or steering wheel its only going to be hard and have numb spot which its not happening with me soon i will lift the car and check everything again when i install the 30mm rca. thanks again
Old 02-04-19, 01:49 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Have you replaced your front lower caster arm bushings? Some people have said that the rubber wears out and causes that shake. FIGs sells a press in replacement

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehic...ADJCST2-40-SPF
Old 02-04-19, 02:02 PM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Lol look up what i have changed. first thing i did is superpro poly caster bushing
Old 02-04-19, 06:15 PM
firelizard

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
This guy and that SaiyanGS guy live to post rude comments. Never help with anything, don't pay attention to them or waste time responding.
This is bad advice. Searching yields several common things that according to OP's post, they haven't tried yet. There's no point in both of us reading them, I've already read them. When someone asks a question and I know the answer, I share it. When someone asks a question and I know where the answer is, I tell them. I searched "steering shake" just to see, so I know there are things OP can still try next. What's the point of typing it though, if someone is just going to make a new thread and ask the same question again?

Here's a fishing rod.
Old 02-05-19, 08:13 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maher331
Lol look up what i have changed. first thing i did is superpro poly caster bushing
My bad...I read that as super pro sway bar bushing. The other thing people have done is adjust their steering preload when they have this problem. Have you tried that?

Regarding the search on this site. Its absolutely terrible and doesn't help at all. Go to google and type your search keywords followed by "site:www.clublexus.com" that will only give your results from this site and its a lot easier to find what you need on google than here. That will hopefully help you find what you need in the future
Old 02-05-19, 08:16 AM
Maher331
Driver School Candidate

Hi, i actually have super pro sways thick bars and 175% stiffer front and 200-235% stiffer rear adjustable Thanks for info i will try to change pre load
Old 02-07-19, 06:31 AM
captainva
Instructor

I was talking about the steering rack. The sways shouldn't affect that. There is a nut on the steering rack that adjusts the preload on the rack. If you turn it a little bit it will tighten up the rack and CAN reduce steering wheel shake. Its not a catch all so YMMV
Old 03-11-19, 05:50 AM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found after 12 years of owning a 98 GS400 that wheel lug nut torque is crucial to having a vibration free car. Many shops only check for minimum torque, meaning they impact them down to full pressure and run a torque wrench on them to be sure they are at least at the factory setting. Ever notice they never have to add torque to a lug? For that matter, ever had a shop ask you what the torque should be set to? When I do mine I tighten them down to within 10% of factory set then hand torque them the rest of the way. It is just as bad to over-torque as it is to under-torque lug nuts.
Torque values are set for a reason.