Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98 GS400 resurrection, where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 06:31 PM
Dmpsix
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS400 resurrection, where do I begin?

Long story short, gonna bring the 98' GS400 back to life.

However a wheel is cracked and the front suspension is totally worn.

I saw this thread here after lots of searching
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-98-gs400.html

OP mentions how great is Bilstein HD shocks are, those for sure I will grabbing.

But if I want to COMPLETELY redo the suspension back to OEM or better (not slamming it, or performance, I want it as luxury as possible). Where do I begin?

Is there a comprehensive list of things I can add in order? Like bushings, struts, shocks, etc. I'm not too mechanically savvy, but I do want the best or oem equivalent as possible.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 06-29-19, 10:40 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you have the budget you can always go with air suspension, cheaper option would be coilovers and cheapest would be shocks and springs.

Rockauto has all of the oem suspension parts you may ever need.
Old 06-30-19, 11:21 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmpsix
Long story short, gonna bring the 98' GS400 back to life.

However a wheel is cracked and the front suspension is totally worn.

I saw this thread here after lots of searching
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-98-gs400.html

OP mentions how great is Bilstein HD shocks are, those for sure I will grabbing.

But if I want to COMPLETELY redo the suspension back to OEM or better (not slamming it, or performance, I want it as luxury as possible). Where do I begin?

Is there a comprehensive list of things I can add in order? Like bushings, struts, shocks, etc. I'm not too mechanically savvy, but I do want the best or oem equivalent as possible.

What do you guys recommend?
How many miles are on her?
Old 07-08-19, 07:59 PM
Dmpsix
10th Gear

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
How many miles are on her?
Wow, I completely forgot I even made this thread like a dummy.

Now to get back to business since I set alerts to my phone.

She has roughly... 190k

All I'm looking for is a daily driver out of her, engine runs strong as hell. I mean absolutely zero issues outside of the suspension.

I did some homework on the GS series, apparently my issue with the front suspension and the shaking seems to be a common and known thing?

While I'm at it, I just seriously want to just knock this all out in one go you know?
Old 08-21-19, 07:23 PM
Dmpsix
10th Gear

Bump, any help on where to go for OEM ride quality or better?
Old 08-22-19, 05:26 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I’m sure many things are worn out. You can always benefit from a set of new struts. The common problem is the lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings in the front lower rear trailing arm. You may just want to take it to a shop and have them tell you what all it needs. Then order it all yourself and do the project. You may have clunky sway bar endlinks, blown bushings, loose tierod ends and or inners, rack bushings blown out, upper control arm bushings and the ball joints. There’s wheel bearings to check for play/ noise. If the tires are old hard, worn, or cupped, the car will feel like crap until there’s good rubber and an alignment.

I don’t recommend coilovers if you want OEM quality ride. Bilstein and KYB are good strut replacements. Remember, there are spring seats, upper mounts, bellows, and bumpers on them that all may need replacement too. Don’t do lowering springs with OEM replacement struts and wonder why the ride sucks. They aren’t meant for it.
Old 08-22-19, 06:37 AM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have a look here. ROCKAUTO_GS400 They have an almost complete suspension kit from Mevotech at about $520. Can't comment on quality of Mevotech.
You'd still want tie rod ends, and a full set (front & rear) of Struts, and be sure to get fresh rubber mounting gear for the struts: Ozone in the air eats the rubber.
If it were me, I'd do what a friend calls base-lining, change all the fluids & filters -
  • Oil,
  • Transission,
  • Coolant (flush, then fill)
  • Brakes,
  • and with an age 21 car, I'd think about replacing the rubber brake hoses to each wheel before they give you grief.
A new fuel filter might be a good idea too. Don't forget radiator hoses, especially if they look original.

Best of luck ! !
Old 08-22-19, 02:02 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Figs Engineering stocks the Mevotech brand. They have a kit you can purchase: https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/cat-gs-1...430-FR-REFRESH