Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover Torque Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 01:05 PM
SCJim
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Coilover Torque Questions

I am just starting to do a coilover install on my 93 SC300.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the bolts involved, particularly the control arm bolts? When I just wing this stuff I usually over torque things so knowing what they are spec'd at would be a big help.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 07-30-19, 11:40 AM
SCJim
Driver

OK - looks like I will be going with my tried and true armstrong method to torque this stuff. It has always worked for me in the past :-)

I have the rear coils on and hopefully I just made my last ride height adjustment.

I do have another question. I measured the existing ride height and it was different from side to side at both the front and the rear. Is that something that is commonly seen?

I am adjusting the length of my coilovers so that both sides will now sit at the same height, which means the coils are longer on the driver's side than the passenger side. That seems strange to me, but this is my first coilover install and maybe that is to be expected.
Old 07-30-19, 12:10 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJim
OK - looks like I will be going with my tried and true armstrong method to torque this stuff. It has always worked for me in the past :-)

I have the rear coils on and hopefully I just made my last ride height adjustment.

I do have another question. I measured the existing ride height and it was different from side to side at both the front and the rear. Is that something that is commonly seen?

I am adjusting the length of my coilovers so that both sides will now sit at the same height, which means the coils are longer on the driver's side than the passenger side. That seems strange to me, but this is my first coilover install and maybe that is to be expected.
Do a search on uneven ride height on here, there is a pretty good write up and what is normally done. I think his user name was Boergy? So, no it is not uncommon.

As far as torque of fasteners, I can look that up and send you a list if you still need it. But once again, I would bet if you dig through the archives just a bit you may find what you are looking for.

Edit: Here is one thread on torque specs:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html

Last edited by RXRodger; 07-30-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 12:41 PM
SCJim
Driver

Thanks for the info.

I had seen something about uneven ride height on this forum but a quick search the other day didn't turn it up. I will look again. I am new here but there are other forums where I am the expert and it gets way boring to answer the same questions over and over again. :-)

I am happy for now with my rear height which is the same from side to side, although higher than a lot of people here like. I will post some images once I put the coilovers on the front.

I will also search for those chassis torque values. I am just starting a build and there are lots of parts that need changed, although I'm not not sure exactly what to do first. That is a nice stable of SC300s you have there btw - poor me, I just have the one 93 manual in black - my baby. :-)

Edit: OK - thanks for that link! I will check it out.
Old 07-30-19, 03:55 PM
SCJim
Driver

It is the second post to the thread that he gave us the link to. A definite save as it covers everything in both the front and rear suspensions, in whatever torque system that you like to use. Very Cool.
Old 07-30-19, 03:56 PM
SCJim
Driver

Originally Posted by RXRodger

Edit: Here is one thread on torque specs:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html
Perfect! That is exactly what I needed.
Old 07-30-19, 08:17 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by babycrab
wait RXRodger thats a thread for the is models. Same torque values as sc??
Yeah, just did a quick search and missed that. Here is an image from another quick search of the SC archives.

Old 07-31-19, 11:24 AM
SCJim
Driver

OK - newbie here, now officially lost.

For securing the rear lower shock/spring assembly to the LCA that link from RXRodger shows 81 ft/lbs - a post I found by searching say 106 front and 101 rear and that is quite a difference.

Same thing for the top hat nuts. The IS values are 49 ft/lbs, while this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...+torque+values says 19 ft/lbs. again quite a difference.

I guess I am back to just tighten the hell out of it, watch it and hope.

Thanks for the input though.

Edit: I did a google search and did not turn up any further information. I guess I will go with the settings in that link above, since I don't have anything better to go by.

Last edited by SCJim; 07-31-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 04:04 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

OK - newbie here, now officially lost.

For securing the rear lower shock/spring assembly to the LCA that link from RXRodger shows 81 ft/lbs - a post I found by searching say 106 front and 101 rear and that is quite a difference.

Same thing for the top hat nuts. The IS values are 49 ft/lbs, while this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...+torque+values says 19 ft/lbs. again quite a difference.

I guess I am back to just tighten the hell out of it, watch it and hope.

Thanks for the input though.

Edit: I did a google search and did not turn up any further information. I guess I will go with the settings in that link above, since I don't have anything better to go by.
You should be able to use the search function within this forum and get results just within this subforum. Sorry for the confusion on the IS instead of SC, they are different obviously. And in my second response the image was deleted which showed the SC values, strange. I found it in multiple posts so if you use the forum search function and go through a few threads you will find it.
Old 08-02-19, 04:16 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Ok, here are the rear values direct from the SC repair manual I found on one of the threads when I did a search. Bottom 106 ft-lb, mount nuts 19 ft-lbs, strut nut 20 ft-lbs. This shows the sway bar link to be 54 ft-lbs but that can't be right.

Rear

Rear in table form

Last edited by RXRodger; 08-02-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 04:27 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

And here are the values for the front:

The following users liked this post:
SCJim (08-02-19)
Old 08-02-19, 04:29 PM
SCJim
Driver

Default That Is Perfect

And it is everything that I need as I work my way through my suspension. Very cool.

Thanks for finding and posting this very helpful information.
Old 08-02-19, 05:03 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

And it is everything that I need as I work my way through my suspension. Very cool.

Thanks for finding and posting this very helpful information.

Glad to help. I am not getting on to you, I am only trying to help by saying this but if you do a search within the forum you can find almost anything you need pretty easily. You must be logged in and in the particular forum or sub heading you are interested in, then select search this forum and use specific words and you will most likely find what you need withing one page, most of the time within the first 5 threads. I guess due to the age of these cars the traffic is much less than it used to be on this forum so you typically won't get a lot or responses. However in years past almost anything you can imagine has already been answered multiple times. It's there, just have to find the gold nugget in the rocks.

Old 08-15-19, 05:50 AM
SCJim
Driver

Hey Rodger,

Oh I agree about searching, which I did a number of times before posting my question. The thread with the short table of torque values was found with a search, but even using multiple parameter sets on multiple searches I never turned up any better data. And BTW I am a computer scientist who has written search engines myself so I assume that I know how to do this and no, I can't explain why my searches were not fruitful.

On some forums I am the expert and yet I try to avoid lecturing others on how to use the forum. I don't own it and if a question is so obviously redundant I just move along and don't try to educate the poster, even though I know that was your intention. It is a good intention IMO but even if you educate one user there is always another newbie coming along to ask the same question once again.
Old 08-15-19, 02:19 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Hey Rodger,

On some forums I am the expert and yet I try to avoid lecturing others on how to use the forum. I don't own it and if a question is so obviously redundant I just move along and don't try to educate the poster, even though I know that was your intention. It is a good intention IMO but even if you educate one user there is always another newbie coming along to ask the same question once again.
I understand what you are saying, I really do, and I didn't want to come off as that guy that always says do a search first. I was simply trying to save you time for the next thing you run into, this forum is dwindling so the traffic is slow and sometimes the answers are slow. No way for me to know your background, most people that haven't been to this forum don't understand how to search and find the answers they need and not have to wait on someone to respond. In spite of your suggestion, I'll probably help the next guy out in the same manner.

Quick Reply: Coilover Torque Questions