Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

When you lower your car, why does the drivers side sit a little lower? maybe .25"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 08:09 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not on all cars. My car is lowered with Tom's coilover's and it's perfect all around. But it did come pre-assembled, maybe that's why .
Old 08-21-03, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i believe it is on all GS, at least all the GS i have seen so far. if you look at the coilovers and make them all even, the left and right side would sit differently. if you look at the rear you will notice that they sit differently as well.

and to make it "better", look at the stock GS out of the factory, they are different left and right already too

if you want, what you can do is to do adjustment to each corner to make them fit
Old 08-24-03, 07:13 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get your girlfriend to sit on the other side..you're all set!
Old 08-24-03, 07:45 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I miss her man, so I will do that in a few days!!!
Old 08-25-03, 12:09 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Old 08-25-03, 02:06 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

there was a thread similar to this one on the RX-7 Club forum not too long ago (I just sold my 93 RX-7), and the theory concerning the drivers side sitting a little lower on US cars was that since these cars were designed in Japan as right hand drive, the suspension geometry from the factory was factoring in driver weight when it was designed. On the flip side, since our cars are left hand drive here in the US, the drivers side "sags" slightly.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but it seems like a decent theory, and the 3rd generation RX-7 is noticably different when comparing driver and passenger side height, especially after upgrading the suspension and lowering the car
Old 08-25-03, 02:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

IMO quite simply the steering unit , airbag, and other misc things are on that side and it simple weighs the car down. You dont need much to do it. go outside and lean on the trunk a little. Just a few more things on that side of the car and the suspention you added is not tailored for it, like the factory suspention was.
Old 08-26-03, 02:36 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

The reason why the driver side front sits a little lower is because the suspension components are most likely made in Japan; therefore, when installed on a japanese vehicle, It's right hand drive, so when the person sits in the car it becomes even all the way around. When installing the same suspension in the Amercian made versions the suspension company's dont change the build, and thats why the driver side always sit a lil lower.

Old 08-26-03, 05:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry i have been out of town @_@
Old 08-26-03, 08:26 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

maybe true... then again.. what happens to the suspension tension if each corner is adjusted differently... wouldnt that make each corner react differently to certain driving situations?
Old 09-10-03, 01:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Ye i noticed the same thing on my car after it was lowered. The drivers side is just a lil lower, which really annoyed me. At least its good to know my car is not the only one that has this problem.
Old 09-10-03, 02:06 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of your with GS3's, I'm not sure where your engine sits under the hood, but in Hondas (since DGOT20s mentioned them), the engine doesn't sit directly in the middle of the engine bay, but sideways with the main block (heavier end?) of the engine sitting more toward the driver's side. This is what causes them to be uneven on the driver's side when lowered on aftermarket springs. Hope this helps?

Last edited by BR1AN; 09-10-03 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-11-03, 09:05 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

on the GS3's the engine seems to be situated in the middle of the engine bay.. this is mainly attributied to the fact the the GS's are rear wheel drive and they have the transmission to mount...

Most all rear wheel drive cars have the engine centered...
Old 09-12-03, 06:37 PM
Da Drifter
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you guys should try doing the alignment. I know that the camber settings for each side of the car is different. So, try to bring it to the alignment shop and get it aligned. And also, check the tire pressure. I lowered my car and lots of my friends, i never seen that much of a gap. It is just sooo many things can cause height difference, but as of now, that all i can think of.

Oh wait!!! I think the gravity can cause it too... since we are far North West of the earth... so the gravity pulls different way... J/K
Old 09-15-03, 10:17 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Ive done an alignment and no change... your alignment would have to be WAY off to make a height difference...

Quick Reply: When you lower your car, why does the drivers side sit a little lower? maybe .25"