Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Odd brake noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 05:47 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Odd brake noises

Hey guys, I'm experiencing some odd noises with my front brakes. I'd like a little advice before I dig into the car and start troubleshooting as it's something I haven't experienced before.

I did the front pads and rotors a few months ago which included replacing the spring clips and slider clips that hold the pads as well as the caliper slider pins.

The first issue that occurred is a light metallic clanging sound when driving over sharper bumps. At first I thought it was the suspension but everything is tight as far as that goes. I then realized that the noise doesn't occur if I'm braking when going over the same type of bumps. Even if I hold the throttle steady and ride the brakes a little bit, they don't make the noise.

The second issue that's becoming more frequent: after backing out of a parking space, the front brakes make a soft popping sound when stopping to shift into drive. Then, the first time I stop after driving forward, they make a louder metallic popping sound. After that, everything is fine. It sounds like it's coming from both sides. My best guess is that something is happening between braking in reverse and braking in drive that's maybe causing the pads to shift? It tends to only do it after I leave work when the car has been parked all day. I also thought maybe one or both caliper pistons could be sticking but it doesn't do this if I immediately drive forward after the car has been parked...it's only if I go into reverse first.
Old 10-22-19, 08:47 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

First off double check that everything is tight. Whats happening when you shift from forward to reverse is caused by cheaper pads which sometimes don't have as tight tolerances as OEM or expensive pads. The pads are shifting forward and backwards very slightly in the caliper which makes that metallic click noise. Thats nothing to worry about and is a normal thing. Over bumps the same thing could be happening but again, double check that everything is tight and if the click is really is bothering you, you can buy shims to prevent it from happening or buy more expensive pads.
Old 10-26-19, 06:51 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Agreed, sounds like the pads are moving a little. Annoying but not a safety concern at least. As said, make sure your bolts are tight! That would be the only other thing. If a caliper or bracket is flopping around!
Old 10-05-20, 04:11 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

You guys were right! A year after making this post I finally decided to do something about it. Sure enough, when I pulled the wheels off I could get the brake pads to move up and down just a little bit. I started with the less expensive option of ordering a set of OEM brake hardware...the spring clips for the back of the pads and the slider clips that the pads fit into. I reassembled and the pads no longer had any free play. The above described noise is totally gone. Thanks guys.
The following 3 users liked this post by JonGS3:
CurlyG (01-06-24), Scorchez (03-19-23), TrueGS300 (10-05-20)
Old 01-06-24, 01:48 PM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm also having a very similar problem. When I back up, and press the brake pedal, I hear a pop from the front end. The same thing happens on the first braking while driving forward sometimes.
That is the only time I hear the pop from the front end, and only when the brakes are applied. I recently cleaned and lubed the caliper slide pins with an orange high temp grease, to solve a steering wheel vibration that comes and goes while driving on the freeway. I tuned the amount of grease, so the pins didn't "suck shut" (too much grease does that). I thought maybe my rotors are warped, and the calipers where sticking.