Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2017 IS350 Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 10:54 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 2017 IS350 Brake Squeal

I knew this would happen. Instead of opting for a $400 brake job from the dealer, I went with my local trusted shop and had them install Lexus brake pads for less than half of the cost. Of course, I'm now experiencing the same thing that as when I had them do the brakes on my 2015: the brakes squeal briefly for the last few inches of the stop. Not every stop, but probably about 30% of them. When I took my 2015 back to them last time, they messed with the brakes but said everything was fine and there was nothing they could do. I don't believe it. They must have done something wrong, both times. By the way, it was fine for the first month or two, but I don't believe the solutions I've found about it being dirty or rusty brakes. This never happened during the first 25k miles on any of my other IS350's.

I know very little about brakes. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to get this fixed? It sounds so ghetto, it makes me really hate the car.
Old 10-23-19, 12:52 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Did they replace the pads and rotors, or just the pads?
If there is any rust on the very edge of the rotors where the edge of the pad ends, then this will cause the noise you have.
Either replacing the rotors, or machining them, should resolve the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Filmneye (07-02-23)
Old 10-23-19, 01:32 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If there is any rust on the very edge of the rotors where the edge of the pad ends, then this will cause the noise you have.
I believe the rotors were turned. It was the first brake job, the car has only 25k miles. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-09-19, 12:38 AM
acewarrior
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps, they didn't apply anti-seize compound on the shims or on the brake contact points between the pads and the shims. It's very important to clean the calipers (wire brush for rust build up and then cleaning with a brake cleaner) and use a quality silicon paste for the brake pins. I personally use 3M silicon paste for the pins and Permatex anti-seize for the contact pins. I've been changing brakes for the past 8 years, and never had issues using this method
Filmneye (07-02-23)
Old 11-10-19, 11:05 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
So looking at this pic it appears that is the case. Do you agree? Is there a reason they left the edge like this? Like they have the wrong equipment, incompetence, or is this just standard procedure?

Old 11-10-19, 11:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
So looking at this pic it appears that is the case. Do you agree? Is there a reason they left the edge like this? Like they have the wrong equipment, incompetence, or is this just standard procedure?
In looking at the pic, the surface of the rotor where the pad rides on has numerous lines going in all directions...a clear sign that it was machined, but either they tried to take too much off in one cut, or the machine/rotor were vibrating while the process was occurring.
Either way it's definitely not the best machine job.
The pic is a little far away to be sure on the rust...yes for sure there is rust on the inner and outer edges, but that could have happened if the rotors were recently wet (rain or car wash) and then allowed to sit for several hours before being driven.
Depending on how much rust, it could have been left from the machining process whereby not enough material was cut off to eliminate the rust.
Unfortunately the pads aren't designed to go to the very edge of the rotor, so there will always be a very tiny edge where the pads don't touch...but if rust forms on that tiny edge, then it can lead to brake noise.
But given the actual surface of the rotor, which pretty much looks like a**, I would just replace the rotors at this point. If the rotor was thick enough, you could machine it again, but you can only take off 2mm in total, so 1mm per side of the rotor...which isn't a whole hell of a lot.
Filmneye (07-02-23)
Old 11-11-19, 11:30 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

I just started experiencing this and I am sure it's the weather. Never heard my brakes squeal the whole summer and that "slipping on stop issue" is back so I'm sure the cause is the temperature drop.
Old 11-11-19, 11:42 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I just started experiencing this and I am sure it's the weather. Never heard my brakes squeal the whole summer and that "slipping on stop issue" is back so I'm sure the cause is the temperature drop.
I know 100% that in my case, it's not the weather. Never happened before the brake job. Same thing happened when I did the brakes on my 2015 IS at the same shop.
Filmneye (07-02-23)
Old 01-21-20, 02:49 PM
azmojo
Instructor

So Lexus service inspected the brakes along with everything else for a 30k service and they discovered that the shims were missing. The shims from the old brakes were supposed to be re-used, but the shop I used discarded them. I believe this was a huge contributor.

Lexus also has a video explaining why brakes might squeal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5h...ature=youtu.be
Filmneye (07-02-23)
Old 01-23-20, 04:29 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
So Lexus service inspected the brakes along with everything else for a 30k service and they discovered that the shims were missing. The shims from the old brakes were supposed to be re-used, but the shop I used discarded them. I believe this was a huge contributor.

Lexus also has a video explaining why brakes might squeal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5h...ature=youtu.be
I put up a thread on this myself as I know nothing about cars, but you can read mine. This is the first time this loud squeal has ever happened to me and Lexus did my first brake job at 22k miles and now they want another brake job at 37k miles. I'm about through with the dealership.
Old 01-23-20, 04:33 PM
azmojo
Instructor

I neglected to mention that the service advisor also told me that the inside and outside pads are not the same but can easily be swapped. This can also cause noise.
Old 01-27-20, 08:28 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just resolved a morning parking squeal issue with Akebono pads. Get the OEM brake shims. Those are double layered and work better than the ones that come with aftermarket pads.
Old 01-27-20, 12:19 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Noeh
I just resolved a morning parking squeal issue with Akebono pads. Get the OEM brake shims. Those are double layered and work better than the ones that come with aftermarket pads.
So just keep the shims that are currently installed and move them over to the Akebono pads when putting them on correct?
Old 01-27-20, 02:29 PM
axes2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what i did @ 500 miles and the shims was very easy to clean. I applied the grease that came with the Akebono pads in the between the shims on top of the thin layer of padding.
Noeh (01-28-20)
Old 01-27-20, 03:28 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by axes2k
That is what i did @ 500 miles and the shims was very easy to clean. I applied the grease that came with the Akebono pads in the between the shims on top of the thin layer of padding.
Perfect! Thank you!