Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

tire wobbles at 60mph??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 04:49 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-11-03, 06:17 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Balance

I've experience similiar problems with this but its fixed on my 99 GS400.
Its mostly balancing - I had this problem on my factory 17's - The dealer must have balance my wheels 5 times and it got worse every time it go so bad the wheel felt like it was coming off, and that my factory wing would vibrate when you look in the rear view mirror. They finally paid for my balance at a local wheel shop after I reemed them for telling me thats "Normal"! The balance was perfect. The Machine that tire shop used was a Hunter same as the one on this tread with the Road Force Analysis.. I had no shake at all. Ofcourse when i moved up to 19's there was a slight hardly noticeable tremble at 60 but very slight...Offcourse bigger wheel but its almost perfect. Actually I had perfect balance a few times but sometimes It will be 99% perfect.

The tire shop owner told me that most shops use out-dated Balancing machines and most of the time they were out-of-Specs. Sometimes they either don't have the machines maintained properly or too cheap to do it.. Personally I am going to buy one of those hunter machines and balance my own tire since I'm always going to own a nice car.

Another weird thing that the dealer told me - I wonder If they ever told you guys..
They told me they can't do alignments on cars with wheels over 18"'s?!?!? Lexus Dealer said this!
I found out that most tire shops were the same way except for that one place that could balance my tires.
He Balance and Alines 24" all day long so I wonder whats every ones problem - maybe afraid they might mess up some ones expensive rims like yours and mine <Racing wheels, expensive bling>.

My message - is make sure your tire shop is a very up-to date Rim Shop that uses Hunter machines with Road Force Analysis..and that they calibrate their machine atleast monthly. I'm going to get one and will do all the balances for all my local CL buddies.. LOL <I'm not joking> I think its a wise investment if you are going to own cars like ours and have nice wheels.. I am tired of standing over someone's shoulder watching them like a hawk to make sure they don't scratch my rims and if they are doing it correctly..

p.s. there was an issue on gliggy vibrations in the suspension when the GS first came out supposely they replace a part on 99's and up and fixed the vibrations somewhat but is still on a few cars. -It was a long time ago when the car came out , i read it somewhere. I wish I had saved it.. Well atleast I don't have the problem - Its a matter of perfect Balancing..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-11-03 at 06:24 AM.