Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone tried re-bushing the LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 12:47 PM
BeigeSC300
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone tried re-bushing the LCAs?

Old 12-24-19, 11:53 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

I don't know if anyone has but the two large bushings on each side can be fitted with new poly bushings (if available). The reason why this is probably not advisable is that the ball joints on them are completely non-serviceable from Toyota. So even if you did re-bush the sides you would eventually (depending on mileage, age and what stress over time has been incurred) begin to have issues with those ball joints on either side.

The only way to replace those is to replace the entire LCA with a new OEM one or go with an aftermarket LCA set with a serviceable ball joint such as the ones made by Figs.
Old 12-25-19, 01:10 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BeigeSC300
Yes I have rebushed a couple of sets. I ordered the poly bushings every time I have done it, but Whiteline makes a rubber bushing that can be used to replace more like stock.

If the ball joints are still in good shape it's a moderately difficult task. There is a thread on here somewhere how to burn out the old ones and put the new ones in.

On the race car I just ordered the Supra arms from Toyota, they are about $275 each to know I have good ball joints. Just depends on what you are doing with the car and what your budget is. There is a guy on facebook that parts out the cars and he usually has a good set of arms he can sell you if your ball joints are worn beyond safe limits.
Old 12-27-19, 07:00 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did mine with poly. Ball joints were tight, so there was no need to replace the whole arms.

Also drilled and tapped for grease fittings, including the ball joint. This way, if the poly bushings ever strat squeaking like they're known to do, I can squeeze some fresh grease in them. On the ball joints, I'm able to fill the lower cup/ball with grease, but there are no reliefs to allow the grease to push up into the upper ball/boot, so I filled the boot with grease before reassembly. Hoping this extends their life as long as possible.