Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ATTN: Anyone with the XAT brake adapters for LS460 calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 01:45 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
ohhh, ok, I see what he's saying, he wishes the caliper was big enough that the pads would contact the entire depth of the rotor. It's not that the pad isn't making contact (you can see in my pics that it's completely on the rotor).

I spoke in pretty great detail with XAT about rear setups, the challenge is that there really wasn't a readily available larger rear caliper that mounts up correctly. The beauty of the LS430 calipers is that they're radial-mount (meaning they mount perpendicularly to the rotor). This allowed them to work. And from my caliper research, the LS430 has the largest pistons of any rear lexus setup of that era.

If you really wanted more rear braking power for some reason (again, the front does like 75% of the braking), you could probably go with a wilwood caliper and find a rotor that would fit. But I imagine the price would skyrocket and the gain would be minimal. (Though bigger rotors would sure fill out the wheels nicer. His wheels are bigger than mine and that makes the rotor looks small, lol)

Side note, I just went to that guys insta and that GS400 is sick.
https://www.instagram.com/will_gs400/
I hear you there, at the end of the day the rears do minimal work for normal driving and moderate in hard driving. I am actually local to the XAT guys, quality work and fast response.
Old 01-21-22, 10:10 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Thank you to OP for all of your work to help XAT get this right.

I’m wondering if you happen to have the piston sizes for those LS460 calipers? I have an SC400 and am considering pulling the trigger on LS460/ISF fronts and Supra TT/Supra TT rear, but I’m slightly concerned with the master cylinder’s ability to move that fluid efficiently enough, given the increase in braking power I’m proposing here.

I appreciate any advice or opinions you can give me. Thank you much!

Nick
Old 01-24-22, 09:12 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Thank you to OP for all of your work to help XAT get this right.

I’m wondering if you happen to have the piston sizes for those LS460 calipers? I have an SC400 and am considering pulling the trigger on LS460/ISF fronts and Supra TT/Supra TT rear, but I’m slightly concerned with the master cylinder’s ability to move that fluid efficiently enough, given the increase in braking power I’m proposing here.

I appreciate any advice or opinions you can give me. Thank you much!

Nick
4 Piston x 1.7"

The first post in this thread has all the measurements for the available calipers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ig-brakes.html
Old 01-24-22, 10:08 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

4 Piston x 1.7"

The first post in this thread has all the measurements for the available calipers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ig-brakes.html
And I’ve actually read that whole thread. I’m losing it! Thank you for pioneering this dude and delivering all this info.

I’m thinking the ideal setup for me, will be the LS460 fronts with 4 x 1.7” pistons with XAT’s adapter 360mm ISF rotor up front. And for the rear Supra TT calipers with 2 x 1.4” pistons and the standard 324mm rotors.

Basically this will mimic the stock Supra piston sizes exactly but with a larger front rotor. Sounds like a win to me!

Nick
Old 01-24-22, 10:20 AM
joemg
Instructor

And I’ve actually read that whole thread. I’m losing it! Thank you for pioneering this dude and delivering all this info.

I’m thinking the ideal setup for me, will be the LS460 fronts with 4 x 1.7” pistons with XAT’s adapter 360mm ISF rotor up front. And for the rear Supra TT calipers with 2 x 1.4” pistons and the standard 324mm rotors.

Basically this will mimic the stock Supra piston sizes exactly but with a larger front rotor. Sounds like a win to me!

Nick
no worries, there is a ton of data in that giant thread!

That's a good setup! I found supra calipers were kind of hard to find and expensive, the LS430 rears are pretty cheap/easy to come by (and bigger pistons).

I just updated the first post in that thread with the info for the LS430 rears (its buried later in the thread). The LS430 rear calipers are aluminum monoblocs that are 2 x 1.7" and use the supra TT rotors. (with the XAT rear bracket).

I have the 460 front/430 rear setup on mine and it's one of my favorite mods, the SC430 does not stop like a car that weighs 3800lbs anymore. I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Glad I could be of help to the community.
Old 01-24-22, 11:15 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

no worries, there is a ton of data in that giant thread!

That's a good setup! I found supra calipers were kind of hard to find and expensive, the LS430 rears are pretty cheap/easy to come by (and bigger pistons).

I just updated the first post in that thread with the info for the LS430 rears (its buried later in the thread). The LS430 rear calipers are aluminum monoblocs that are 2 x 1.7" and use the supra TT rotors. (with the XAT rear bracket).

I have the 460 front/430 rear setup on mine and it's one of my favorite mods, the SC430 does not stop like a car that weighs 3800lbs anymore. I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Glad I could be of help to the community.
Yeah I saw your setup, looks great! I asked XAT about those radial mount adapters for my SC400 and they said it’s a no go. So, I’m really stuck with Supra TT rears. Ironically, the TT fronts are pretty reasonably priced on the reman market now, but the rears are all unavailable remanufactured, so I suppose I will be hunting for deals for a while.

Nick
Old 01-24-22, 11:17 AM
joemg
Instructor

Yeah I saw your setup, looks great! I asked XAT about those radial mount adapters for my SC400 and they said it’s a no go. So, I’m really stuck with Supra TT rears. Ironically, the TT fronts are pretty reasonably priced on the reman market now, but the rears are all unavailable remanufactured, so I suppose I will be hunting for deals for a while.

Nick

Damn, I didn't realize the SC400 rears are different. good luck!
The following users liked this post:
CLass of 1 (01-24-22)
Old 02-11-22, 10:45 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Hey joe just wondering how your paint is holding up on those calipers? I’m about to order a set in remanufactured and just wondered about your prep and products and how the finish looks today compared to when you first did it? The calipers seem like they’re anodized or something so I wanted to maybe use a high temp primer first. I’m looking for the smoothest, “Bremboiest” finish!

Nick
Old 02-11-22, 10:58 AM
joemg
Instructor

Hey joe just wondering how your paint is holding up on those calipers? I’m about to order a set in remanufactured and just wondered about your prep and products and how the finish looks today compared to when you first did it? The calipers seem like they’re anodized or something so I wanted to maybe use a high temp primer first. I’m looking for the smoothest, “Bremboiest” finish!

Nick

The paint is holding up well. I used a high temp primer and the paint below. I thoroughly cleaned the calipers with a brush/degreaser. The calipers come with some sort of grey paint/coating from the factory so i didn't sand them since the ones i bought were in good condition. I used painters tape to mask any moving parts/pistons/gaskets/etc. I'm still very much a paint novice, but many light coats seems to yield good results.

I wasn't going for the Brembo look, I just wanted some nice flat black that would blend in with the wheels and never rust. You may want to go with something more glossy for the brembo look.

I've done calipers on 2 cars with the rustoleum high heat paint and haven't had any problems. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: Anyone with the XAT brake adapters for LS460 calipers-ultra-black-rust-oleum-specialty-high-heat-paint-241169-c3_600.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CLass of 1 (02-11-22)