Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

'99 Sc300 rear brake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 05:49 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Sc300 rear brake upgrade question

Hey guys I was thinking of getting a set of the Supra tt rear brake calipers for my '99 Sc300. Are these a direct bolt on deal or do I need to do any modifying? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-20, 09:20 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

You'll have to cut or remove the rear dust shield since the TT rotor is so much larger. Other than that, it's a direct bolt on.
The following users liked this post:
Equalizir (07-05-20)
Old 06-30-20, 10:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,239 Likes on 866 Posts

^^ What Blkexcoupe said. I took a Dremel with cutting wheel and trimmed my stock rear brake dust shields. You can also pick up the 93-98 Supra TT rear dust shields and install those. The easiest way is to notch the stock dust shields to pull them off (this will destroy them permanently usually) and then you'll also have to notch the Supra TT rear dust shields in the same way to allow them to slide onto the hub and bolt into place.

Otherwise to remove and install the dust shields you pretty much have to dismantle the hub assembly behind the rotor as if you were going to replace a wheel bearing. I bought the TT dust shields for the front TT calipers and rotors and I found that so long as you leave the small bolt locations intact on the metal stamping that will be enough to keep them firmly in place. The same should be true for the rear TT calipers and rotors.

All the same though you can just trim your stock dust shields for clearance and be done with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
1997Soarer (07-21-20), Equalizir (07-05-20)
Old 07-11-20, 07:17 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizir
Hey guys I was thinking of getting a set of the Supra tt rear brake calipers for my '99 Sc300. Are these a direct bolt on deal or do I need to do any modifying? Thanks in advance.
What is your goal with this rear brake change?
Old 07-13-20, 06:32 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
What is your goal with this rear brake change?
I put a set of Ls400 calipers on the front so I want the rear to be similar looking. Extra stopping power would be nice also. I ordered a set so just waiting to get them.
Old 07-14-20, 02:46 AM
KahnBB6

I put a set of Ls400 calipers on the front so I want the rear to be similar looking. Extra stopping power would be nice also. I ordered a set so just waiting to get them.
The front brake upgrade will be the main major improvement from stock. With the Supra TT rear brake calipers and rotors what you'll notice is a slightly more balanced front to rear bias between the front and rear braking systems. The nose should dive just a little bit less and overall when you haul down quickly from a high speed the SC will be slightly more stable. And compared to the stock rear calipers there will be significantly little to no fade when you use the brakes aggressively and repeatedly while driving on the street. But you'd have already noticed most of that fade resistance difference from the upgrade to LS400 front calipers.

That is not to say that with the 1998-00 SC300 & 92-00 SC400 rear brake calipers and rotors and the front LS400 calipers and rotors an SC isn't already very stable slowing to a stop but there will be a mild improvement.

With both the front and rear caliper upgrade the new limitation of the total braking system will be on a racetrack road course depending on just how hard the system is worked over and over during the same session. Usually people will upgrade the pads and fluid for track use with the stock TT brake system (Hawk pads or Porterfield and Motul RBF600 fluid). In those environments it comes down to the pads and fluid before the calipers themselves become the new bottleneck.

Since front LS400 caliper pad selection is slim the challenge is to get the same compound for the front LS calipers and TT rear calipers.

Off Tirerack's site the only common pad they sell that is offered for both the LS fronts and TT rears that seems like it *might* be decent are the Centric "Posi Quiet Ceramic" pads:

P/N 105.06650 for the LS400 front calipers
P/N 105.06300 for the Supra TT rear calipers

There may be be better matching pads out there by now but that's what I've found for now.

This is a good older thread on the subject of 95-00 LS400 caliper pad options though:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rake-pads.html

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-14-20 at 02:52 AM.
Kira X (11-26-20)
Old 07-15-20, 10:39 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

So if the goal is similar looking, yes you can accomplish that by changing the rear brake calipers. As far as extra stopping power, you will see nothing or maybe slight difference. What you get with the LS caliper on the front makes the car very nice with braking. The rears are sufficient so there really is no reason to change them. But, if look is what you are after, you should be able to accomplish that
Old 07-16-20, 10:52 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by RXRodger
So if the goal is similar looking, yes you can accomplish that by changing the rear brake calipers. As far as extra stopping power, you will see nothing or maybe slight difference. What you get with the LS caliper on the front makes the car very nice with braking. The rears are sufficient so there really is no reason to change them. But, if look is what you are after, you should be able to accomplish that
I stand by my post above but RXRodger speaks the truth ^^ Although I only disagree in that it's not a *nothing* difference but rather a very slight difference in almost all the normal circumstances you can throw at them. The question you should be asking is "Where will I be most likely to notice that difference?"

Remember that the stock Supra TT braking system was designed to haul that car down from about 160mph without much if any fading or instability. From 100-0 it was even more impressive and wasn't bested until the 2005 Carerra GT came out.

On the street you will be hard pressed to take full advantage of that unless you drive on a seriously windy mountain road for 30min straight and manage to overheat and get fade from the rears from repeated braking. Or on a racetrack. Still, as mentioned in the post above the main difference between the stock braking capability and upgraded brakes on your SC will be from those front LS400 calipers and rotors. Or even just front Supra TT front calipers and rotors.

The main advantage of the full (front and rear) Supra TT braking system is similar fade resistance to the LS400 front calipers... and a much broader high performance pad selection. The TT brakes front and rear just have many more pad types to choose from.

But under most circumstances on the street you're not going to hit the limits of what your SC300's rear calipers can handle once you have the LS400 fronts swapped on. Just TT front calipers OR LS400 front calipers have an extremely similar improvement effect over the stock SC front brakes.

I'm not saying don't switch to the TT rears if you really are set on doing so but if you absolutely want to then it would make sense to also find a set of TT front calipers and swap those over as well to match. Then you'll have fully matched front and rear system overall that will be more track-capable.

But again, you likely aren't going to over-stress the 1998-2000 specification SC300 rear calipers with your current LS400 front brakes as they do at least 70% of the work anyway.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-16-20 at 11:04 PM.
Kira X (11-26-20)
Old 11-19-20, 07:03 AM
Zymol75
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all. I have 96 SC4 and the braking system is stock. This thread has been extremely useful. Thank you for all the insight.
I have located in vast availability the LS4 front brake conversions, and I had been curious about rear conversions. I see now that obviously the preferred choice seems to be the Supra TT conversion. Being that I have the 96 model, is the conversion going to be the same as the later models?
have no trouble with the swap process, but my experience is with mostly VW/Audi/Benz,(newer SC owner as of 2020) and the parts lists are not familiar to me. I have also reconsidered the Supra TT front conversion as now may be the best choice as a 4 wheel matched set. I do plan on using stainless lines and High Perf fluid for street applications.
Is there a definitive parts list that anyone knows of for the front and rear SC to TT conversions? Also the years specifically? I've not gotten a confident determination of the changes from the earlier SCs to the later SCs and where that year split is is, as well as which Supra model years apply to which swap. Obviously the 430 is another vehicle entirely and I'm not referring to those at all.

I plan on being much more active on this site, as this SC is now my "alt. daily", and I want it on par with my previous vehicle which was a newer Audi A6 3.0T Quattro APR Stage 2+.

Thanks for any info and knowledge anyone cares to share. I definitely know that proper info is key, and to do it right and do it once. (also if this post is better placed in another location, I apologize, and will take note of future post placement)
Brian
Old 11-22-20, 11:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The SC to MKIV TT brakes are the same for all years. TT rotors, calipers, and pads all around. Cut front and rear dust shield (you can swap them to TT shields, but that requires removing the hubs and is much more complicated than most people care to do). The biggest thing to remember is, get wheels that will clear the brake calipers.
Old 11-25-20, 08:04 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

You can gain a slight improvement on the rears just by getting SC400 caliper brackets and rotors. The rotors are about 3/8" larger and the calipers are the same, you just need the slightly longer caliper brackets. I actually had a set of these and forgot I had them and just installed them on one of the cars the other day because I was replacing rotors anyway.
Bimmerbill (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 09:15 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 427 Likes on 351 Posts

Where is the best place to get a set of TT rear calipers and brakes? I’ve seen a few guys on Supraforums mention getting refurbished ones from places like Autozone, but a few mentioned they weren’t the original Sumitomo calipers.
Old 11-26-20, 11:41 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
Where is the best place to get a set of TT rear calipers and brakes? I’ve seen a few guys on Supraforums mention getting refurbished ones from places like Autozone, but a few mentioned they weren’t the original Sumitomo calipers.
Replica fronts are easy to come by on ebay and rock auto, but the rears only toyota makes them.

Best place to get the rears is directly from toyota brand new. You can pick up both calipers for about $600 (unless they raised the price again.) Toyota dropped the price from around $800 to $600 in 2020.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
KahnBB6 (11-27-20), Kira X (11-28-20)
Old 11-27-20, 02:53 AM
KahnBB6

There are replica/aftermarket copies of Supra TT front brake calipers available? I had thought the ones you'd get through ebay, auto zone, rock auto, etc. are all originals that people had sent in as cores for a fresh remanufactured set.
Old 11-27-20, 07:58 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I had thought the ones you'd get through ebay, auto zone, rock auto, etc. are all originals that people had sent in as cores for a fresh remanufactured set.
That used to be true, but as less and less people started returning the cores, A1 Cardone started making their own parts for rebuilds. The easiest way to tell is to look at the fronts and rear of the caliper. The fronts have a rougher texture compared to oem toyota and the rear half doesn't have the sumitomo stamping found on authentic calipers.

In the last 1-2 years there is an even cheaper alternative available on ebay. It looks like the Cardone caliper, but its made by someone else. I believe it's under $200 shipped for a pair of brand new calipers.

Quick Reply: '99 Sc300 rear brake upgrade question