Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dallas Spring Install Shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 10:04 AM
4Infiniti
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dallas Spring Install Shop

Anyone know of a good shop that I can install some RSR downs for a reasonable price? Also anyone with RS are down floor to fender measurements much appreciated. I think I bought my car with half downs on it but I can’t get anyone to respond on what the usual measurements are for that. Or even what stock measurements are for a GEN 3F sport Anyone know of a good shop that I can install some RSR downs for a reasonable price? Also anyone with RSR are down floor two fender measurements much appreciated. I think I bought my car with half downs on it but I can’t get anyone to respond on what the usual measurements are for that. Or even what stock measurements are for a GEN 3F sport RWad
Old 08-03-20, 05:48 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I had it done through yourmechanic dot com for the rears. Basically you book a mechanic and he comes to your house to do the work. Just make sure you book someone who has good reviews and been in the job for a good amount of time.
Note that all shops by default assume the rear setup is a combo spring+damper (strut?). So they want to charge more than what the work is. I had spoken to both lambs and yourmechanic to explain that the rears are the divorced setup. Then they both agreed to treat the rear work as lower control arm replacement job which was nearly half the cost of true "spring" replacement.

I had plans to DIY and rented the spring compressor tool from autozone. The problem is that the tool is too thick to fit in between the coils. So I didn't risk it. Just took it to lambs and had them do the work.
The following users liked this post:
4Infiniti (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 06:21 AM
4Infiniti
Driver

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
I had it done through yourmechanic dot com for the rears. Basically you book a mechanic and he comes to your house to do the work. Just make sure you book someone who has good reviews and been in the job for a good amount of time.
Note that all shops by default assume the rear setup is a combo spring+damper (strut?). So they want to charge more than what the work is. I had spoken to both lambs and yourmechanic to explain that the rears are the divorced setup. Then they both agreed to treat the rear work as lower control arm replacement job which was nearly half the cost of true "spring" replacement.

I had plans to DIY and rented the spring compressor tool from autozone. The problem is that the tool is too thick to fit in between the coils. So I didn't risk it. Just took it to lambs and had them do the work.
How much did it end up costing you for the front, and then the rear?
Old 08-03-20, 07:12 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 4Infiniti
How much did it end up costing you for the front, and then the rear?
Total $280. For the fronts, the shop only did the spring replacement and I did the rest of the work at home. So it didnt cost me as much. Typically its like a $500-$600 job in total not including the alignment.
Old 08-03-20, 07:32 AM
4Infiniti
Driver

Total $280. For the fronts, the shop only did the spring replacement and I did the rest of the work at home. So it didnt cost me as much. Typically its like a $500-$600 job in total not including the alignment.
$280 for front and back? Did you install rear camber arms or were they able to get your alignment into spec?
i’m basically looking to do the same by taking the front strut spring assembly out and taking it to a shop to have them compress it and swap the springs out. I thought doing the rear would be pretty easy. I appreciate all your feedback and advice. Just trying to make sure I order the right things. Think I’m gonna go with 15 mm spacers all the way around. Was on the fence about bolt on or extended stud. I usually do all my own work but I didn’t want to get into the spring compressor part of it. If you were able to do everything for 280 that’s very reasonable. What did the mobile mechanic charge just for the rears?
Old 08-03-20, 09:15 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 4Infiniti
$280 for front and back? Did you install rear camber arms or were they able to get your alignment into spec?
i’m basically looking to do the same by taking the front strut spring assembly out and taking it to a shop to have them compress it and swap the springs out. I thought doing the rear would be pretty easy. I appreciate all your feedback and advice. Just trying to make sure I order the right things. Think I’m gonna go with 15 mm spacers all the way around. Was on the fence about bolt on or extended stud. I usually do all my own work but I didn’t want to get into the spring compressor part of it. If you were able to do everything for 280 that’s very reasonable. What did the mobile mechanic charge just for the rears?
Yes. $280 total front and rear. The breakdown is $100 for replacing front springs at lambs. $180 for the rear spring replacement by the mobile mechanic. In hindsight, I should have done the rears myself. This idiot was handling it rough and I had to calm him down and watched him with an eagle eye to make sure he does the work in the right way without scratching the A-arm finishing or strip any bolts.

The alignment is still under spec for the rear. The front passenger camber is on the edge at -1.1*. So not sure what to do with the fronts. My rear passenger sits about .4" higher than the driver side and I am guessing thats messing up my setup at the front. I will give it some time to settle and may be readjust the springs again in the rear to make sure there is nothing funky with them.

VERY IMPORTANT:
  1. Front top hat needs to be correctly oriented when replacing spring. You cannot rotate it afterwords. My shop missed it at first even after me marking where it should align. I ended up having them redo the work. I gave them the picture of the front stock orientation from the DIY manual.
  2. Rear springs also needs to be oriented correctly.
If you plan to do the work, make sure you have a 14mm racheting wrench for the front A-arm. Life saver. Ball joint separation requires special tool and there is a risk of caving the bolt or damaging the boot if you are not careful. If you were around ausitn and this covid situation was not there, I would have lent you a hand .
Old 08-03-20, 09:31 AM
4Infiniti
Driver

Yes. $280 total front and rear. The breakdown is $100 for replacing front springs at lambs. $180 for the rear spring replacement by the mobile mechanic. In hindsight, I should have done the rears myself. This idiot was handling it rough and I had to calm him down and watched him with an eagle eye to make sure he does the work in the right way without scratching the A-arm finishing or strip any bolts.

The alignment is still under spec for the rear. The front passenger camber is on the edge at -1.1*. So not sure what to do with the fronts. My rear passenger sits about .4" higher than the driver side and I am guessing thats messing up my setup at the front. I will give it some time to settle and may be readjust the springs again in the rear to make sure there is nothing funky with them.

VERY IMPORTANT:
  1. Front top hat needs to be correctly oriented when replacing spring. You cannot rotate it afterwords. My shop missed it at first even after me marking where it should align. I ended up having them redo the work. I gave them the picture of the front stock orientation from the DIY manual.
  2. Rear springs also needs to be oriented correctly.
If you plan to do the work, make sure you have a 14mm racheting wrench for the front A-arm. Life saver. Ball joint separation requires special tool and there is a risk of caving the bolt or damaging the boot if you are not careful. If you were around ausitn and this covid situation was not there, I would have lent you a hand .
if you’d be willing to help I would drive down to Austin for a day. I’ve got a cordless impact wrench and deep and shallow impact sockets so I think I’ve got the 14 mm covered. I’ve just got a really ****ty neck some of the work is difficult I did all the work on my old G 37 and did the same as you. I dropped the Strat housing out and took it to a local shop to just have them use their spring compressor and they only charged me an hour worth of labor to do it even though it only took 30 minutes.
Old 08-03-20, 09:44 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

No not now... My wife is already pissed that I spent 2 weeks "giving attention" to the car. Plus I am fighting a knee issue right now. It does take a lot of labor for sure and most shops would take more than 1 day to replace the springs if you drop off the struts. They will do it at their free time for such work since they are in no urgency to get your car out of their garage rolling.