Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

drag coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 12:49 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag coilovers?

does anybody make a drag coilover package that would work on a '93 SC300?

or the related question would be, for drag racing, what suspension setup has been the most successful?

thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-11-03, 12:51 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Most obvious would be the HKS Drag Coilovers.
Old 09-11-03, 12:57 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

i didn't see an SC application... do you have a part number? HKS's site just shows them for the supra (Toyota-wise)
Old 09-11-03, 01:00 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Yup, the Supras one fit.
Old 09-11-03, 01:07 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

are there people using these kits? i'm wondering how well the spring rates and valving work with the different weight/distribution of the SC vs the supra?

thanks!
Old 09-11-03, 01:08 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Only person I know running them is Brian ( VeilsideRSPsc ) but he doesn't come on here often.

Last edited by TurboB6; 09-11-03 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 07:34 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Brian is also the only person I know running them in an SC, but i'm sure he'd be willing to tell you all about them. Jeff, will your car have more of a road race or drag race bias? It looks like you're going for road, but with the auto I was thinking maybe more strip.

- Jon
Old 09-12-03, 08:34 AM
2JZfan
Rookie

100% drag... i've got the supra for the twisties... i don't want to be one of those guys that starts talking trash about how fast i'll be before the car is even done... but lets just say that i'll personally consider 9s to be a failure on this project... but as all drag racers will tell you, making the hp is never the problem...
Old 09-12-03, 08:57 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, I meant J.Man, 'TurboB6', but I like your answer
Eights, huh? I'd like to strip down a '92 and build a drag setup also, but for now a 10sec daily driven luxury car will be enough of a fix . Planning to back-half it?

- Jon
Old 09-12-03, 09:10 AM
2JZfan
Rookie

sorry, too many jeffs!

8s are feasible on the IRS (a la MSP, Titan, MVP, etc.)... i'm sure it won't be easy, but the reward of beating drag-only muscle cars in a Lexus is priceless... check the profile, i live in Nebraska... there are some fast domestics, but they are all big-tire, big block, nitrous cars... when we built our 8 second turbo mustang people were literally coming up to us saying "how can you run that fast without nitrous?"...
Old 09-12-03, 09:25 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-12-03, 10:56 AM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Yeah, Brian is also the only person I know running them in an SC, but i'm sure he'd be willing to tell you all about them. Jeff, will your car have more of a road race or drag race bias? It looks like you're going for road, but with the auto I was thinking maybe more strip.

- Jon
LOL, another Jeff on here huh. I mainly stick to drag racing/occassional street races. I dunno I've just never been big on road racing, at least not yet. I'm not building a straight 1/4 warrior though. I'm looking to get low to mid 9's (full interior, etc..) once the setup is complete.

Last edited by TurboB6; 09-12-03 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-12-03, 11:21 AM
2JZfan
Rookie

Originally posted by TurboB6
Only person I know running them is Brian ( VeilsideRSPsc ) but he doesn't come on here often.
on your website it shows HKS hiper dampers, are those the "regular" non-drag version?

if so, how loose can they be made? on my last drag car i had a set of HAL QA1 12-way adjustable coilovers... on "12" the car felt like it had no suspension at all - a total rock... on "1" you could bounce the front end up and down 8" with one hand... i'd like to find something with an equally broad range for this application...

thanks,
"Jeff #2"
Old 09-12-03, 11:49 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Man, I don't know of anything for an SC/Supra that has a range like that, but if someone does....jump right in. I was originally intending to build a daily driver plus weekend 1/4 action, but I can see down the road maybe swapping in a Getrag and doing some road racing, would like to know for sure just how good I am

- Jon (just don't call me Jeff )
Old 09-12-03, 02:24 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2JZfan
on your website it shows HKS hiper dampers, are those the "regular" non-drag version?

if so, how loose can they be made? on my last drag car i had a set of HAL QA1 12-way adjustable coilovers... on "12" the car felt like it had no suspension at all - a total rock... on "1" you could bounce the front end up and down 8" with one hand... i'd like to find something with an equally broad range for this application...

thanks,
"Jeff #2"
I dunno if you'll find something like you had your last drag car but the HKS Hipermax Dampers have different spring rates (F=118 (12) / R=59 (6)) than the full drag ones (F=88(9)/R=49(5)) . Kg of course. I'll have to check how adjustable they are but If I remeber correctly the Drag dampers have more adjustability for the 1320 applications. I have numbers in my head i want to say but I wanna make sure they are correct.

Last edited by TurboB6; 09-12-03 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: drag coilovers?