Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rotors & pad option

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 09:26 AM
raymondabc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotors & pad option

Hello all,

i saw quite a few of post regards to changes brake pads & rotor in every 20-35k(depends on how you drive) and now it's time for mine to be change out.

Option i'm consider is
Pad: Akebono ASP1118 Front and ACT 11391A Rear ( no idea why they don't have ASP1118 rear)
Rotor: R1 Concept Geomet Drilled//slotted all around.

Rockauto got another few rotor such as power-stop, Centric and a few other... should i go with R1 or consider other options?

The car is my daily and trying to avoid brake dust as much as possible with decent stopping power.
Old 08-25-20, 08:11 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

rotors every 20-35? I'm not sure if that is accurate unless your rotors have warp. But I've enjoyed my akebonos and much less brake dust.
Old 09-16-20, 09:42 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i use stoptech slotted rotors and street pads! i love them! brake dust is minimal compared to the OE pads/rotors and they bite much better!!!
Old 09-24-20, 10:25 PM
YoungRider
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ255t
i use stoptech slotted rotors and street pads! i love them! brake dust is minimal compared to the OE pads/rotors and they bite much better!!!
Just wondering how your stoptech rotors fit? Any wiggle room when mounting them? Are they a tight/snug fit?

Just recently installed some Powerstop rotors and the stud holes on rotors seem to have been drilled a bit too big? The rotor has some room to move around so my car to has a slight vibration now when braking...
Old 09-25-20, 06:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungRider
Just wondering how your stoptech rotors fit? Any wiggle room when mounting them? Are they a tight/snug fit?

Just recently installed some Powerstop rotors and the stud holes on rotors seem to have been drilled a bit too big? The rotor has some room to move around so my car to has a slight vibration now when braking...
Rotor holes will never be tight to the studs...you should be able to turn the rotor a couple mm's in each direction.
Vibrations when braking at high speed is usually caused by warped rotors...however rotors can warp for a number of reasons, or even come that way from the manufacturer.
Old 09-25-20, 11:16 AM
YoungRider
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Rotor holes will never be tight to the studs...you should be able to turn the rotor a couple mm's in each direction.
Vibrations when braking at high speed is usually caused by warped rotors...however rotors can warp for a number of reasons, or even come that way from the manufacturer.
Got these rotors new from Rockauto, so I’m assuming what ever it is it has to have come from the Manufacturer. On the photo here you can see how much you can turn the rotor, does this look normal? if so I’m guessing the rotor may be Warped then..

Old 10-28-20, 11:57 AM
OFDHZY
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have encountered this with non-OEM rotors before also, however I did minimise vibration by loosing the wheel nuts a little maybe start with 10-15% initially while the wheels are still on the car and going for a short low speed drive then tighten them back to spec help located the aftermarket rotor more centred to the wheel hub... but next brake change I went back to an OEM rotor for this reason. Just curious do these rotors outperform the OEM advics rotors or was your choice purely cosmetic?
Old 10-28-20, 02:22 PM
YoungRider
Rookie

Originally Posted by OFDHZY
I have encountered this with non-OEM rotors before also, however I did minimise vibration by loosing the wheel nuts a little maybe start with 10-15% initially while the wheels are still on the car and going for a short low speed drive then tighten them back to spec help located the aftermarket rotor more centred to the wheel hub... but next brake change I went back to an OEM rotor for this reason. Just curious do these rotors outperform the OEM advics rotors or was your choice purely cosmetic?
I ended up switching them out for some Centric plain rotors and it’s still has a slight vibration but nothing compare to these powerstop ones that I had, the vibration on these were horrible

Honestly maybe just a tab bit better but barely noticeable. If anything it was more for cosmetic but after trying aftermarket brands I’m surely going back to OEM to get the smooth quiet feeling again..