Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT brakes arrived, what else do I need? Shims and spring plates for the pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 06:10 PM
1of422
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TT brakes arrived, what else do I need? Shims and spring plates for the pads?

See title

Old 08-30-20, 09:16 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

That plus the TT rotors. Haven't heard of needing RCA's for the supra brakes, just the LS400 ones. You will likely need to do a bit of cutting and bending to your backing plates. I had to remove and make a lot of bends to fit the LS400 bbk on mine.
Old 08-30-20, 09:38 PM
1of422
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
That plus the TT rotors. Haven't heard of needing RCA's for the supra brakes, just the LS400 ones. You will likely need to do a bit of cutting and bending to your backing plates. I had to remove and make a lot of bends to fit the LS400 bbk on mine.
Appreciate the info, yes I have rotors and pads, just not sure if I need backing plates and the spring that sometimes is attached to the pads on other cars. Just curious if there are any other miscellaneous bits needed.
In my possession:
Calipers
Rotors
Pads
Braided lines
Wheel spacers (25 mm rear [asthetic] 5mm front [clear factory 17s])

Old 08-31-20, 05:38 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

You do want to locate the spring hardware. That's what will help keep even wear and noise down by not allowing the pads to shift around and get compressed in different positions. Good brands of pads usually come with the hardware. Cheap ones usually don't. Some of my favorite pads for street use are Centric Posi-quiet. They come with hardware and are the longest lasting, lowest dust, and quietest pads I've ever experienced. My shop uses them almost exclusively unless the customer is a real tightwad. They can be found on Rockauto for really good prices and come in ceramic, and semi-metallic, and also state that they come with hardware or not. Just an option if you have some off beat pads.
The following users liked this post:
1of422 (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 05:46 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Oh and backing plates arent really an option, just modifying what's there. I took a chopsaw (dremel type) and cut the entire lip off all around the outside edge where it overhangs the stock rotors. Also made a larger area for the caliper to fit just cutting the parts that interfered. I still have the plate and the air scoop part in tact. You just have to make room for the new larger setup you know.
The following users liked this post:
1of422 (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 11:38 AM
1of422
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
You do want to locate the spring hardware. That's what will help keep even wear and noise down by not allowing the pads to shift around and get compressed in different positions. Good brands of pads usually come with the hardware. Cheap ones usually don't. Some of my favorite pads for street use are Centric Posi-quiet. They come with hardware and are the longest lasting, lowest dust, and quietest pads I've ever experienced. My shop uses them almost exclusively unless the customer is a real tightwad. They can be found on Rockauto for really good prices and come in ceramic, and semi-metallic, and also state that they come with hardware or not. Just an option if you have some off beat pads.
I'm really glad you mentioned the Centric Posi pads. Those are the exact ones I ordered from Tirerack about a week ago. Unfortunately they have to be special ordered from the factory (supra tt) and I'll be waiting a few more weeks for them to arrive. Extremely happy to hear your experience with those pads as that is the exact reason why I went with them. Hoping for low noise and dust, mainly dust as I'm rocking the factory chrome chrome 17's and like them clean, it's one of the few chrome wheels I find pleasing to the eye. Appreciate all the help!