Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 07:44 AM
Fargo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lower Arm Bushings?

It just seems to go on and on....On my last visit to my price goughing(?) Dealer, the "Tech" recommends "Lower Arm Bushings" on my next visit, at a cost of $ 895. Why would this car need this fix at 84K miles. I swear, this car hasn't been abused, and at present drives with no hint of a problem.
Old 09-24-03, 04:39 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, sad but true, and also inevitable...

Just make sure not to start another bushing war thread here!

If you are near LA we can fix it for you one way or another...

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 09-24-03, 05:10 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fargo, mine has the same mileage, and also drives with no hint of a problem. Since you really can't tell without some disassembly how good or bad the bushings are, it is possible the stealership just "blindly" recommended the "fix" based on your car's age and mileage. It's also possible you can go a lot longer before you really need new bushings.

That's what I'm betting on, but we''ll see. One symptom is squeaking or clunking over speed bumps. Once that starts getting unbearable, we'll be a-talking, Todd!
Old 09-25-03, 09:04 AM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Design

The problem with the lower control arm bushings is that it was a poor design to begin with.

The vulcanized rubber becomes weak with age, heat and use. It is not solid, and seperates causing this problem. I was eating tires up because I could not maintain alignment. Think of it a a type of motor mount.

They did not do the proper validation on this design as they should have. Don't tell that to Lexus as they have a bag full of useless exuses why they fail (like the P/S seal leak). The air suspension Soarers do not have the same design, and from my understanding, do not suffer from this design defect.

My disintigrated at 78,000 miles. Factory replacements will do the same thing in time.

The only real fix is solid bushings which are tricky to replace by youeself, but will eliminate the probelm of "seperation". You cannot see this (seperation) until the assembly is removed from the car.

These need to be dealt with sooner or later had can be had from TM engineering. He will guide you through the process, but don't try it on your own unless you know what your doing.... and have the proper tools.

The stabilizer bushings unless soft, should be ok. The poly bushings will squeck after a short period and the fact that there is no external zerk fitting, you have to remove them to re-lube. Not a big deal if you really want those, but I gave up because I did not want to hassle with this.