Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 07:15 PM
koomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another suspension question

'92 SC400 140,000 miles, all original suspension and it's shot. It's my dad's (age 92), and I'm going to repair it because he's too frugal to do so.

Looking for something near an OEM ride. Going to try out KYB struts and strut mounts and strut bellows/bumpers on the original coil springs.

Question: Is the Lexus coil insulator (also called a spring seat on another Lexus parts site) necessary if I'm using the KYB bellow? I haven't disassembled what we have yet, but the parts illustration seems to indicate that the original insulator/spring seat goes between the spring coil and the strut mount, for what I assume is a reduction in NVH. Replacements are almost as expensive as the strut, so I'm hoping it's not necessary. Any advice appreciated, thank you!
Old 10-12-20, 11:42 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by koomo
'92 SC400 140,000 miles, all original suspension and it's shot. It's my dad's (age 92), and I'm going to repair it because he's too frugal to do so.

Looking for something near an OEM ride. Going to try out KYB struts and strut mounts and strut bellows/bumpers on the original coil springs.

Question: Is the Lexus coil insulator (also called a spring seat on another Lexus parts site) necessary if I'm using the KYB bellow? I haven't disassembled what we have yet, but the parts illustration seems to indicate that the original insulator/spring seat goes between the spring coil and the strut mount, for what I assume is a reduction in NVH. Replacements are almost as expensive as the strut, so I'm hoping it's not necessary. Any advice appreciated, thank you!
I just reused mine every time I have done that type work. You probably won't have much to work with to put the bellows into it, but mine has held in place each time. But what I see on the parts list is about $40 for these, is that what you see?
Old 10-12-20, 08:11 PM
koomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
But what I see on the parts list is about $40 for these, is that what you see?
Yes, that's it. You've managed to reuse yours? That's great. I don't know what the condition is of the contact area of these old ones, but I know the boot/bellow sides are torn. Not a big deal for his driving conditions. I'm mainly trying to keep the cost down, to figure out whether reusing them is an either/or situation with the KYB bellows, and to figure out what makes them so special (and I assume different) to warrant $40/per. I'm not sure if the KYB strut mounts include a coil insulator. I see they DO offer one for the bottom of the coil, yet I don't see those included in a KYB strut assembly schematic. Thanks for your reply!
Old 10-19-20, 07:28 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by koomo
Yes, that's it. You've managed to reuse yours? That's great. I don't know what the condition is of the contact area of these old ones, but I know the boot/bellow sides are torn. Not a big deal for his driving conditions. I'm mainly trying to keep the cost down, to figure out whether reusing them is an either/or situation with the KYB bellows, and to figure out what makes them so special (and I assume different) to warrant $40/per. I'm not sure if the KYB strut mounts include a coil insulator. I see they DO offer one for the bottom of the coil, yet I don't see those included in a KYB strut assembly schematic. Thanks for your reply!
Yeah in each case my boots were torn and all but gone, but when you get new bellows there is enough left in the strut mount that the bellows will stay engaged in it. Wish I had pics and I would show you. The rubber is tougher at the strut mount and can still hold a new bellows just by twisting it in.