Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clicking noise coming from passenger rear wheel well after spring install!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 11:56 AM
kusiodamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy clicking noise coming from passenger rear wheel well after spring install!

Hey all, just checking in here because a noise popped up today and I thought some of you guys might know the cause. I installed RSR Down springs about a month or 2 ago, ~3000 miles ago and everything was perfect up until now. So I work at a paint shop and make deliveries with my IS every once in a while and today happened to be one of those days. I drove some heavy buckets in my trunk over some semi bumpy roads (avoided any big bumps, mostly small stuff nothing bad), and on my way home with NO PAINT in the trunk at all I began hearing a "pop-pop" after hitting bumps. At first It almost sounded like paint flowing back and forth in a bucket really quickly (like a "slosh-slosh") and I thought I forgot to take out some paint, but after a little bit it was more like the clunk-clunk I stated before. When I got home I opened my trunk and began bouncing the rear end with my body weight and actually replicated the noise every bounce, where past a certain point of being pushed down it would "pop" and on its way back up it would pop again, hence the "pop-pop". The thing is that I went inside for a little while to look up why this might be happening, then took a short trip to buy groceries a few blocks away about 30-45 minutes later and didn't hear the noise whatsoever the entire way there and back going over drive ins and bumps that should have replicated the noise but didn't. I even opened the trunk again to bounce it once I got back home and still no noise like before. A theory I have is that the extra ~150 lbs. in the back might have over compressed the springs slightly, so that they were sitting a little lower than usual, and because of this the popping began because of 2 parts touching or a part over extending or something, and then after I let the car sit for a little while the springs went back to their normal length? I'm honestly a little lost since I now can't replicate the noise anymore lol. Any help would be appreciated boys thanks!

Last edited by kusiodamo; 10-20-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 02:59 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your rear wheel well felt liner making sure it is not touching the tire. I also have RSR Down and it is hard to see due to the gap becomes tighter. It happened to me before some of those locking clips inside the wheel well got loose and lost. The felt came off and started rubbing the tire. I had to replace those felt liners.
Old 12-01-20, 10:25 AM
DRIFTOPHER
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HKBruin
Check your rear wheel well felt liner making sure it is not touching the tire. I also have RSR Down and it is hard to see due to the gap becomes tighter. It happened to me before some of those locking clips inside the wheel well got loose and lost. The felt came off and started rubbing the tire. I had to replace those felt liners.
Do you have any pictures of your car with the RSR downs installed? I'm thinking about selling my f sport springs if the RSR downs are a little bit lower. especially in the front.
Old 12-02-20, 02:56 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIFTOPHER
Do you have any pictures of your car with the RSR downs installed? I'm thinking about selling my f sport springs if the RSR downs are a little bit lower. especially in the front.

The following users liked this post:
DRIFTOPHER (12-03-20)