Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A Clunking Noise When Going 15-20 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 06:53 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A Clunking Noise When Going 15-20 MPH

Hello readers,

I have came across an issue after replacing my OE steering rack bushings with aftermarket polyurethane (Daizen). Note: prior to installation there was no clunking, like at all.

This noise occurs when I am traveling around 15-25 MPH going straight only. I torqued the bushings bolts to 56 ft-lbs as stated. I also performed the task on jackstands only in the front (doubt this matters).

I replaced the passenger side bushings first then drivers. When doing the drivers side, I did use a breaker bar as a pry tool to reach the top bushing on the steering rack as I have an SC400 (Again I doubt this matters). The noise seems to becoming mainly front the front drivers side but again I can't say.

Things I have replaced and done prior to this job regarding front suspension.
  • BC Racing Coilovers
  • New Outer Tie Rods
  • Wire Harness Relocation
  • New Endlinks
  • New Tires
  • Alignment
Noise is not present once I make it past 30 MPH+

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? I want to knock this out before this becomes a hazard or a bigger issue. Thanks for your time reading this.

Last edited by Slackful; 11-02-20 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 10:08 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You say it only happens when going straight, but does it only happen if you hit a bump or dip in the road or does it happen when just going straight on smooth roads too?
Old 10-25-20, 01:02 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
You say it only happens when going straight, but does it only happen if you hit a bump or dip in the road or does it happen when just going straight on smooth roads too?
It happens on both smooth and bumpy roads unfortunately. I will try to capture a video and link it here later this week.
Old 10-28-20, 07:55 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

check the bushings and balljoint on your control arms, upper and lower
Old 10-28-20, 10:51 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Check your sway bar end links, I suffered from this on my Celica, slow speed clunk over bunks and clicks when I turned.... couldn't figure it out, until I decided to replace my end links and realized the driver side was loose af.... I was able to move the sway bar with 1 hand.. swapped them and made sure I held the nut on the backside while I tightened the front nut, maybe a hex on the front it varies, problem solved, at least for me.. Hope this helps..
Old 11-02-20, 03:41 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Good afternoon. I've manage to record a video of the noise. Ive come to realize that it doesnt happen when I'm accelerating, more when I let off in cruise in the 25MPH - 13 MPH. Im putting bets on the sway bar? Like Tallyhoe said maybe endlinks (even though I did replace them not long ago maybe July) or the sway bar bushings.

Weather is supposed to be nice this week so I plan on checking the end links again.

The actual vibrations in the video are just the road quality, but you can hear the clunking sound. Excuse my profanity

I have also include pics of the sway bushings, they do look shot on the left side.

I have uploaded the video to streamable. Here is the link to the clip: https://streamable.com/opam7f

Edit: that driver bushing is definitely shot, ordering new ones and going to start from there.

Passenger

Driver
Old 11-02-20, 06:28 PM
- V -
Instructor

bushings look like they need to be replaced for sure. also check the sway bar end links. If those bushings are bad, there is a good chance it crapped out the ball joints on those too
Old 11-02-20, 07:23 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by - V -
bushings look like they need to be replaced for sure. also check the sway bar end links. If those bushings are bad, there is a good chance it crapped out the ball joints on those too
I will definitely do so. Ive been (semi-spiritedly) daily driving for about three weeks since this new noise appeared. Lol I hope I dont have to replace my endlinks again.

I guess while Im under there this weekend I might as well go ahead and grease up the SR bushing while Im at it, since I initially forgot to do so. If this is the culprit I'll come back and wrap this thread up.
Old 11-03-20, 07:26 AM
- V -
Instructor

Nice. I actually started having a similar clunking noise in my car after you started this thread and took the front wheels off yesterday and it turned out to be the driver side sway bar end link. Gonna be ordering new once and replacing it once the weather here in Florida cools down a bit in the coming weeks.
Old 11-06-20, 11:04 AM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Sigh, after the change the clunking is still here. Next step, check endlinks
Old 11-06-20, 12:48 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Conclusion:

Okay, so literally half of the thread was right. I jacked up the car just now both sides and I took pics. I tested the top of the endlink. It was tight. The bottom not so much. It wasn't loose but there was definitely more to be tightened. So I did so, dropped the car went around the block and poof good as gone.

Im just going to hope it stays this way, because if I hear another odd sound I'm gonna lose it. I guess these are just the perks of having a 20+ year old vehicle. (Though, I believe my LCA bushings look like dried hockey pucks, picture attached)

Not upset at all either because on the brightside I was forced to changed something that I probably wasn't gonna do until it became a problem. Thank you to everyone in the thread who helped out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slackful:
perfctreig (12-23-20), Tallyhoe (11-06-20)
Old 11-06-20, 02:09 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad you got it sorted...
Old 06-02-22, 08:15 AM
808LSX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you inquiring about an SC or IS? The info above is based on an IS. I don't know about the SC rear set up/ components.
Your SC pretty slammed even if its raised "a little" to obtain near factory camber spec to save tires, you probably are going to want to lift a few inches at least so the tires dont tuck at all. You may want to go with Truhart negative camber arms. Regular camber arms may not be able to adjust to acceptable spec. But being you have minimal clearance of the fenders, and not be able to adjust much, you will still have camber wear on tires.
if you wanna save tires, im guessing you have to raise the car at least 2 inches based on pics. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 808LSX; 06-02-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 07:15 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 808LSX
Are you inquiring about an SC or IS? The info above is based on an IS. I don't know about the SC rear set up/ components.
Your SC pretty slammed even if its raised "a little" to obtain near factory camber spec to save tires, you probably are going to want to lift a few inches at least so the tires dont tuck at all. You may want to go with Truhart negative camber arms. Regular camber arms may not be able to adjust to acceptable spec. But being you have minimal clearance of the fenders, and not be able to adjust much, you will still have camber wear on tires.
if you wanna save tires, im guessing you have to raise the car at least 2 inches based on pics. Just my opinion.
I think you replied to my SC thread by accident. When I replied to you I was inquiring about my IS. haha