Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New rotors and pads installed: "bead" sound when applying brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 10:22 PM
dunstopnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New rotors and pads installed: "bead" sound when applying brakes?

Hey guys, title says it all. Installed new R1 GEOMET drilled and slotted brakes front and rear with centric pads. I used the new pins and brackets that came with the centric pads. But when I was breaking in the brakes with the window down, I noticed a bead noise (like beads being spun around) when I'm braking. I hear it when I stomp on the brakes and when I am lightly braking (when I'm lightly braking it sounds like the bead sound is slower).

Is this because the rotors are breaking in? The GEOMET coat is rubbing off? I'm confused and kind of afraid the drive the car. The car brakes normally besides the noise. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-21, 09:46 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by dunstopnow
Hey guys, title says it all. Installed new R1 GEOMET drilled and slotted brakes front and rear with centric pads. I used the new pins and brackets that came with the centric pads. But when I was breaking in the brakes with the window down, I noticed a bead noise (like beads being spun around) when I'm braking. I hear it when I stomp on the brakes and when I am lightly braking (when I'm lightly braking it sounds like the bead sound is slower).

Is this because the rotors are breaking in? The GEOMET coat is rubbing off? I'm confused and kind of afraid the drive the car. The car brakes normally besides the noise. Thoughts?
Start by checking everything you installed. Most aftermarket brake hardware doesn't fit like OEM.

I've been running Geo Mets "slotted only" for a long time. What you are hearing is the pads and the slots. Slotted rotors basically cleans the pads every time brake is applied. Most likely you'll be replacing pads more often than normal. I'm running "centric metallic" pads so I get squealing at times. It's just something to get used to.

Definitely it shouldn't sound that bad. I'd definitely check everything over. Pads could also be slightly shifting if not held in place by the hardware.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 02-17-21 at 09:54 AM.