Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering wobble/ Suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 05:44 AM
Williebum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wobble/ Suspension overhaul

Hello, new member here! I just bought a 93 SC400 with about 210k miles on it and noticed some wobble in the steering at highway speeds and going over bumps. I assume the suspension needs a good refresh so I was looking for parts and all I would need. I saw Supra parts will bolt up in the front so I was a bit overwhelmed with the variety of parts available. I'd like to keep a pretty similar ride to stock since I'm just going to be using it as a weekend driver anyways. What control arms and whatnot should I consider? I'm interested in the bell racing control arms, but uppers aren't available yet. Any advice on other components? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-21, 12:23 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Before you start replacing the whole suspension, which is what you will need to do eventually, lets start with the most noticeable issue first. You say you have a wobble in the steering wheel. So start first with the steering rack bushings.
I would recommend poly. You can install those without taking the rack out of the car and with simple hand tools. There are a couple different brands for poly rack bushings but the 2 most common ones for our cars are the Daizen and the SuperPro. It's been a while since I've searched for Daizen but if you are looking for SuperPros check FigsEngineering
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 04:27 AM
Williebum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steering rack was where I planned to start but figured I'd get ideas for other parts along the way so I can do everything at once when I've got it on a lift. I just ordered the Daizen kit, should be here next week so hopefully that helps out some!
Old 03-15-21, 07:14 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

You need more information. There are several things that can cause slack in the steering and suspension. Lower control arm bushings, lower control arm ball joints, tie rods, steering rack bushings, just to name a few common ones.
Old 06-21-21, 09:51 PM
AMCast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also interested

Hi, I'm also interested in what to do here. Driver side outer tie rod is shot. Driver side lower control arm rear bushing is also shot. I think the shocks are done in the rear because every bump the rear wheels go over sounds like it's going to fall apart. I just want the car to feel smooth. When I reverse slowly out the driveway and brake, something clangs in the passenger front wheel. I need help here. I'm going to lose my mind looking for the right thing to do.
Old 06-22-21, 01:03 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

If you know parts are shot, you need to replace them. Then see where the next problem is from there. So start buying shocks or coilovers, and start looking at control arms or bushing kits (if you're balljoints are still good)

OP was describing a problem and didn't know where to start, so I suggested he tackle the steering first. Loose steering is almost always rack bushings and/or outer tie rods. Sometimes a bad rack, but bad racks are more likely to be leaking before they get loose internally.