Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SUSPENSION: I'm confused.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 03:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Darius2004, too bad you didn't make the NorCal meet just this past Sunday. I see you just registered with ClubLexus yesterday, so welcome.

We raffled out four $50 off coupons at Custom alignment.

We also handed out two $100 gift certificates off labor at Exact.

The odds of winning a raffle item were like 50% and you actually got to pick your prize.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=94734

In any case, the NorCal group has been doing business with both Exact and Custom alignment for a long time now. Many GS suspension's were installed at Exact. Price is not the only thing to consider , it's trust and quality too right? In any case Exact does have decent prices for labor (for Nor Cal ,but not SoCal).

You might mention you were referred through ClubLexus, maybe they will give you a better deal.

Hope you can attend a NorCal meet next time.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-24-03 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-23-03, 03:18 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest you wait and save a couple more bucks to get the KYB struts. Your mechanic is smoking something though. What he MEANT was that the aftermarket springs will cause the stock struts to wear out faster than normal.

I suggest you get the struts at the same time to save you money in the long run. Just say you pay 150 for the install and 100 bucks for an alignment. You will have to pay that all over again in a year when you need new stuts!

Plus the KYBs are decent struts and dont cost alot!

Good luck
Old 09-23-03, 08:04 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Thank you to EVERYONE that has helped me make an informed decision!!!! Especially the heads-up on Exact and the info about the springs. I don't know how to thank you all. I will see you at the meets soon. I think I'm going to take D's advice and save for the KYB GR2 shocks and drive down to Milpitas for the install.

NEO: I'm actually in the Pacifica/Daly City area right below San Francisco. I just bought two keychains from Serramonte Lexus yesterday. Thanks for sharing Custom Alignment, most places don't want to touch your car if it's been modified.

I couldn't find a price for KYB's anyone have a website address?

Darius
Old 09-23-03, 09:12 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RON430
Sure glad you guys live in places where installation labor is so cheap. In order to replace springs, the whole struts have to come out. No difference in doing springs, shocks, or shocks and springs, they all come out. And from the prices I paid on both my car and my wife's car, $500 is right in there, especially if they are doing an alignment at the same time. I paid more than $500 with an alignment and balance. If you can find someone that will do it for $250, more power to ya, but I wouldn't go insulting a mechanic because he quoted $500 for this job. You may need him some day.

You'd kill me if I tell you how much my mechanic charges me to install my coilovers. $15 (after conversion to USD). Don't you just love living in third-world sweatshop countries?
Old 09-23-03, 09:22 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
:NEO: I'm actually in the Pacifica/Daly City area right below San Francisco. I just bought two keychains from Serramonte Lexus yesterday. Thanks for sharing Custom Alignment, most places don't want to touch your car if it's been modified.
I am not sure who is over at Serramonte anymore. If your car is not super low and there are no skirts to "lower" it even more, you can try Coliseum Lexus and talk to Mark Owen. He is open to working on modified cars as long as the mods don't hinder the quality of work. Like I said, when my car had no skirts and L-Tuned, there was no issue working on the car. It is just now with about 3" of clearance at the skirts, he did not want to potentially damage anything and I can respect his playing it safe.
Old 09-24-03, 03:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

I couldn't find a price for KYB's anyone have a website address?
Just go to one of CL's sponsors Tirerack.com. Go to the sponsors section - https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/link/category/6/ and click on the Tire Rack link and then do a search on your car - it's pretty straight forward and Tire rack have good prices on the KYB's.
Old 09-24-03, 09:01 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Hameed! I don't know how to thank you all. You have saved me from making some pretty costly
mistakes. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the group soon.

Darius2004

JTanoyo: FIFTEEN DOLLARS???? What country are you in? I'm jealous
Old 09-24-03, 12:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

JTanoyo: FIFTEEN DOLLARS???? What country are you in? I'm jealous

For what your mechanic wanted to charge, you could probably SHIP YOUR CAR to where jtanyo is, have his guy install, and STILL save money!!!

j/k!!
Old 09-24-03, 03:51 PM
gsexploits
Driver

You should also consider swapping out the sways for TRD sways - make a HUGE difference. Only thing is that with Eibach/Bilstein/TRD suspension, it does ride quite a bit stiffer, but it is all worth it - the suspension now handles the power of the 430, whereas stock it did not.
Old 09-24-03, 04:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by gsexploits
You should also consider swapping out the sways for TRD sways - make a HUGE difference. Only thing is that with Eibach/Bilstein/TRD suspension, it does ride quite a bit stiffer, but it is all worth it - the suspension now handles the power of the 430, whereas stock it did not.
or daizen
Old 09-24-03, 07:43 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

DGOT20s,

I just took a minute to visit your web site and you said "Rather than just get another set of wheels that are chrome and 20", this time I wanted something with Brand Equity, and good craftsmanship." Good decision! Plus the new rims look H-O-T!!

JTanoyo: I'm still jealous.

I'll start posting photos as soon as I get it lowered. I just got it Saturday, it doesn't even have plates yet.

Old 09-24-03, 07:55 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Default DECISION...

I know I said I was going with KYB but I've decided on BILSTEIN Shocks to go with the Eibach Springs. I'll post photos as soon as it's dropped.

Darius20004
Old 09-24-03, 09:52 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

That's a good desicion, but make sure you don't change your mind about the height and want to lower even more later on.
Old 09-25-03, 04:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally posted by Bdragon007
That's a good desicion, but make sure you don't change your mind about the height and want to lower even more later on.
That's the quandary I am in. I did the L-tuned setup and now I wish I had saved up and gone the Tein Flex route. I am not very happy with the gap in the front of the car. The back is ok as I put spacers there, so it looks perfect in the back. The front is another story...........
Old 09-25-03, 04:16 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

DGOT20s,

I just took a minute to visit your web site and you said "Rather than just get another set of wheels that are chrome and 20", this time I wanted something with Brand Equity, and good craftsmanship." Good decision! Plus the new rims look H-O-T!!

Thanks man, I had slipped into a ghetto dub coma, and CL revived me! I have always known the good stuff, you can see my Honda in the Car chat area, but I just started to slip when I got the Lexus. The worst part is, I found CL in 2001 when I got my car, but then it went down for a while. I paid 1800 for my first set of g-dubs, 2600 for my second set, so just imagine what I COULD be riding on for that amount of money!

You found CL at a good time man, and good luck with the whip!

Quick Reply: SUSPENSION: I'm confused.