Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SUSPENSION: I'm confused.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 11:16 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SUSPENSION: I'm confused.

I just ordered Eibach Springs for my GS3, the salesmen and a few other people told me that it would NOT affect the trademark "Lexus Ride". Unfortunately, I don't have any tools so I have to get them installed for me. I just called a mechanic and he told me that installing the Eibach Springs will make the ride "Bouncy" and will throw off my allignment and the shocks will go bad. Then he said that the LABOR COST ALONE WILL BE 500.00. It ISN'T THAT MUCH Work. Is he blowing smoke and trying to make a quick buck or is there some truth to this. I just want the ride 1.0" lower. I'll be adding 19" HP Racing EVO's and want to get used to the lower ride...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Darius2004
---------------------
Signature Photo Coming Soon.
Old 09-23-03, 11:21 AM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

tell the mechanic to go hang him self , that's way too much for the installation. It's only should be in the range from $200-$250. And if you want Lexus dealer to install that i don't think that it even cost that much. And about the ride, Eibach pro-kit is one of the best ride quality spring so don't worry about that, you gonna like it.
Old 09-23-03, 11:25 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Your mechanic is smokin' crack. Go find another one. Also, if you are worried about the ride, I can tell you from my own experience that it will ride pretty darn close to stock, especially since you are using your stock shocks. It will lower the ride a little bit, give your car less of a bathtub feel and a generally more confident driving. Have fun.
Old 09-23-03, 11:30 AM
LexFather

I'm confused that this is not in the suspension sub-forum
Old 09-23-03, 11:34 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Bdragon007 & JTanoyo1,

Thanks Guys, Now I feel better about the decision. I'll check with the Lexus dealer down the street when the shocks arrive.

Bdragon007 - That dragon Lexus Logo is HOT!!!! Nice work!

Darius2004
Old 09-23-03, 11:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

My advice to you is to replace the shocks as well. It is not such a great idea to replace the OEM springs with shorter and stiffer springs and NOT replace the shocks as well with different dampening characteristics to accomodate the stiffer springs. A good setup is the Eibach Pro kit with the KYB GR2 shocks or Bilstein shocks / H&R springs combo
Old 09-23-03, 11:47 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the suggested shocks Hameed. Do you think I can go a year on the stock shocks? (Budget and Priority).
Old 09-23-03, 11:52 AM
LexFather

Yes, a year the most. BTW, the LEXUS dealer charges $500 for the install so your mechanic is full of crap. He should charge way less.

Rent a spring compressor and try it yourself.
Old 09-23-03, 12:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sure glad you guys live in places where installation labor is so cheap. In order to replace springs, the whole struts have to come out. No difference in doing springs, shocks, or shocks and springs, they all come out. And from the prices I paid on both my car and my wife's car, $500 is right in there, especially if they are doing an alignment at the same time. I paid more than $500 with an alignment and balance. If you can find someone that will do it for $250, more power to ya, but I wouldn't go insulting a mechanic because he quoted $500 for this job. You may need him some day.
Old 09-23-03, 12:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

500 is purely insane. here in cali, no matter it's norcal or socal, 100 to 150 is the MOST you will pay for spring install. it takes no longer than 1 1/2 hr at the most, no way you will get charged at that rate
Old 09-23-03, 12:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although $500 is still a bit high, if it includes the alignment, then it is not too bad. What part of Cali are you in?
Old 09-23-03, 12:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
Although $500 is still a bit high, if it includes the alignment, then it is not too bad. What part of Cali are you in?
can't be neo. here in norcal, spring install at exact is like 150, then alignment is another 100 to 110.
in socal, spring install is 80 (common price), and alignment is 60.
Old 09-23-03, 01:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Well then, just shop around. Can't see Custom Alignment in Mtn. View charging less for just springs than shocks but give them a call. But if you get shocks installed with balance and alignment, around $600 is what it will cost. Or at least it did about three weeks ago.
Old 09-23-03, 01:12 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I live in NorCal, San Franicosco to be exact. I was talking to Continental Auto Tech in South San Francisco. I have had my other car serviced there for the last year so I thought they would hook me up but obviously NOT.
Old 09-23-03, 02:26 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
I live in NorCal, San Franicosco to be exact. I was talking to Continental Auto Tech in South San Francisco. I have had my other car serviced there for the last year so I thought they would hook me up but obviously NOT.
I don't know of a shop in SF but Exact in Milpitas is pretty good. If what rominl is quoting is correct, it might be worth the drive down. Try calling them to see what they will quote you.

As for alignment, even the dealer can do alignments for $100 - $150. This is only if your car is not too low. I used to get my alignment at Serramonte Lexus and then Coliseum Lexus when my service advisor moved to Coliseum. This was with the L-Tuned S/S. Now that I have coilovers and sideskirts, they won't touch it, which I understand. Custom Alignment is also good but it will cost you $170 for 4-wheel and they take lowered/modified cars.

Last edited by Neo; 09-23-03 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: SUSPENSION: I'm confused.