Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1998 SC400 rear tower brace ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 02:04 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1998 SC400 rear tower brace ?

Does anybody on here Know where to buy a rear tower brace for the SC400 ?

If there are any fabricators out there let me know .

Thank you

Last edited by snakehead; 04-10-21 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-21, 06:17 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

They’re really hard to find. I’ve seen a few in really old pictures from the early to mid 2000’s. I’ve never actually seen one for sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kira X:
KahnBB6 (04-12-21), snakehead (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 09:13 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

would there be a noticeable difference? i feel like a stiffer sway in the back would give a greater benefit but I'm no expert
The following users liked this post:
snakehead (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 10:28 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

I understand that the MK 4 Supra had a flat type brace running from one side of the floor pan to the other side just below the drive shaft and in front of the diff. Not sure if this was TT only or on all. If you think this would help, you can find an aluminum one on e bay that is supposed to be stronger than the Supra one because it is made out of thicker metal. If you go this route let us know.
snakehead (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 10:03 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i was thinking if anybody knew of a universal tower bar that woulsd fit and i could fabricate the mounts ...

I think these cars would benefit from any type of chassis bracing just not easy to find .
Old 04-12-21, 05:47 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

I think the rear tower brace for the MKIV might be more helpful on that vehicle on targa roof models and because it's a hatchback design. The SC/Soarer's fixed roof coupe and enclosed trunk design likely has more stiffness in that area of the chassis compared to the MKIV Supra.

There have been some rear strut tower braces made for the SC/Soarer Z30. I believe Do-Luck made one and I believe there there was another. The best bet would be to search for one marketed for the JZZ30 Soarer application. I am not sure any of them are still made today but they are out there.
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (04-12-21), Kira X (04-14-21), snakehead (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 10:55 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Currently, the only place to find rear strut bars for the SC/Soarer is Yahoo Auctions Japan. Occasionally they pop up FS in the facebook groups, but it's pretty rare and they usually sell quick. ***** SEE LIST BELOW *****

Tanabe made one.
Cusco made one, and also sold them under another brand. I forgot who this was but it's a silver bar with blue bases but instead of Cusco decals its another company - sometimes these are found BNIB on YAJ
GTSPEC made one, but discontinued it (I believe this was based off the 1st batch of ClubLexus strut bars See below). It was a solid 1pc bar.
There were 2 batches of rear strut bars sold exclusively here on ClubLex, but that was like 11 or more years ago. They were the first 1pc bars rear strut bars to appear on the market.
Someone on FB tried to replicate those CL strut bars a few years ago but stopped after making only a handful

***Ultra Racing looks to be the sole manufacturer of rear tower bars at this moment. It looks alot like the Tanabe/Cusco bar but 1pc.
I did not find it on the Ultra Racing USA site but I did see it on the Canadian site.

If you remove the gas tank, I am told Supra rear tower braces are a direct fit.
***Based on this, if you wanted to fabricate your own mounts, you could just buy a Supra rear tower bar then make mounts that raise the bar over the gas tank.

The DoLuck brace KahnBB6 is referring to is called a "rear ladder bar". I have seen pics of these bars for other cars, but the pics for a Soarer are conflicting. Some photos show bracing like a strut bar bolted UNDER the car along the subframe area, while another photo shows a bar connecting the rear tow hooks together (I've actually seen a bar like this in person but it didn't have any markings on it and the owner of the car said it was on there when he got it).

If you are looking for a drastic difference in handling, upgrade the swaybars. Doing the Supra rear conversion is wither aftermarket bars is even better

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 04-19-21 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added Ultra Racing bar to the list
The following 3 users liked this post by 1997Soarer:
KahnBB6 (04-16-21), NYCsc300 (06-04-21), snakehead (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 08:15 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I have said this previously but I am always curious when this subject comes up on what people expect when they install strut bars on these cars. The double wishbone suspension on these cars have forces that work mostly within the subframe. The only forces outside this subframe is the where the subframe bolts to the unibody and the other is the force that works perpendicular to the axis of the shock. There is no lateral force on the shock tower. I can't see how there is any advantage on installing a strut mount on these cars like there would be with McPherson strut suspension. Maybe there is some additional stiffness that results from having these strut bars, but I am thinking that benefit is very minimal.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
KahnBB6 (04-16-21), snakehead (04-14-21)
Old 04-16-21, 05:12 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

I have the Tanabe rear bar on my car. Honestly, I didn't notice any improvement at all.
I have an IMEC strut bar up front, and it did tighten up the front a little bit. We have such a wide and long engine bay the cross bracing up top does seem to help box in the bay. The subframe being the lower side of the box. I don't think someone will notice the feel of the front bar on a stock car, but on a heavily modified one, you will.
I have the complete Ikeya Formula suspension package on my car, along with DoLuck Supra TT swaybars (with the TT conversion using Titan solid subframe mounts). I also have the DoLuck frame braces that run the full length of the body. So for me, my car was already braced rather well, and adding the bar across the engine bay did make a noticeable difference.
The rear might help once I swap the front rear subframe bushings to solids. In theory, that finishes the box in the rear. But its a 3pc bar so it will always have more give in it than if I had a 1pc bar

Swaybars tho... those are HOLY**** type difference immediately
snakehead (04-17-21)
Old 04-19-21, 10:37 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Ultra Racing is the only manufacturer I know of currently making rear end braces for these cars. In fact, I have their rear strut tower bar and rear tunnel brace on order right now but still waiting for shipping confirmation. I will be sure to post some information and feedback when I do finally get them. I first read about them from the Bimmerpost forums, Ultra Racing is based in Malaysia and many of the product reviews are quite favorable. The rear end braces look like exact copies of the Carbing stuff on 1997Soarer's car.

I am a huge believer in improving rigidity and stiffness and the benefits it provides. I have the Carbing front STB installed and felt it made a noticeable difference. Hell, a Megan Racing STB on my BMW F30 completely transformed the car. I am in the process of doing all poly bushings, Ikeya arms and Spoon subframe collars out back so I figured I'd go all in and order the Ultra braces as well.

https://ultraracing-usa.com/

Last edited by SC_coupe; 04-19-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 07:25 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I have the Carbing front STB installed and felt it made a noticeable difference. Hell, a Megan Racing STB on my BMW F30 completely transformed the car.
https://ultraracing-usa.com/
I am not trying to crap on this thread, I really want to understand what people are seeing and thinking and why. Always something to be learned from others.

First, the description of the stb on the bmw is not surprising, the suspension is completely different and would definitely benefit from a strut tower brace, it being McPherson strut. That's simple physics on why those suspensions benefit from making the tops of the strut towers more stiff.

You say your front brace made a noticeable difference. Can you describe why it would do that? There are basically no forces that act laterally on the tops of the shock towers. And even if they did flex slightly, the affect on the suspension geometry would be nil since all of the suspension forces act thru the upper and lower arms to the subframe. Think of the tops of the subframes as the place the force is acted upon when comparing to a McPherson suspension. I could almost see where somebody might get some benefit if this part of the subframe were flexing and they somehow made that stiffer. But with the design of these subframes and where they mount to the unibody, that isn't happening. I don't know, maybe I am missing something. Curious on what it is if I am.

I would be willing to bet with the car I have built for racing that there are very few of these cars that are developing the lateral forces that it is. We run a relatively wide 10-1/2" wheel all the way around with 285 aspect ratio tires. The grip is phenomenal, we eat up almost every car we race against in braking and turns. Power, not so much, but we have them on handling for the most part. I may make a dual rod to mount to the shock towers, set up a dial indicator and a go pro camera and go make laps and see what kind of deflection we see. Would be an interesting undertaking. If I get that done, I'll come back on here and post what I see. Going to be a while, we just got back from the national championship in our series so going to give it a rest for a while.

Last edited by RXRodger; 04-22-21 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 05:26 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Good morning Rodger,
OK I have to side with you on this one. I have the fancy TRD bar on my SC300 and I had it in my mind that this bar was doing a great job but after reading your thoughts I removed the bar and actually could not tell any difference. Of course with my investment in the bar I reinstalled it, I guess for looks only. I do have new Supra lowering springs and new KYB Gas A Just shocks / springs. I also have a aftermarket Supra big front sway bar on the front. Have not mounted my Supra rear sway bar yet, have not found the mounts I want to use.
OK now my one QUESTION is why did Toyota do such a great job on designing this stress bar, was it just to sell bars. I am very perplexed on this one since I could have spent that money on something else for my SC. Your thoughts please.
Bill
Old 04-23-21, 12:39 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Good morning Rodger,
OK I have to side with you on this one. I have the fancy TRD bar on my SC300 and I had it in my mind that this bar was doing a great job but after reading your thoughts I removed the bar and actually could not tell any difference. Of course with my investment in the bar I reinstalled it, I guess for looks only. I do have new Supra lowering springs and new KYB Gas A Just shocks / springs. I also have a aftermarket Supra big front sway bar on the front. Have not mounted my Supra rear sway bar yet, have not found the mounts I want to use.
OK now my one QUESTION is why did Toyota do such a great job on designing this stress bar, was it just to sell bars. I am very perplexed on this one since I could have spent that money on something else for my SC. Your thoughts please.
Bill
Hey Bill, we need to get together and compare cars. I will bring my red car since you have seen the race car. I scored some new Lexus wheels and tires the other day for $300 that I will put on the car before then. Should dress it up some more.

There must be a good reason on how the TRD bar works, I kind of doubt Toyota would have done those just for looks so as I said there must be something I am missing. Overall chassis stiffness? Who knows.
Old 04-23-21, 02:37 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Roger,
I have done a lot of thinking on this and all I can come up with was what Kahn mentioned about the Supra being a hatchback and the car needing support in the back to make the body more rigid I am not sure of the original wording, but I believe the TT had a flat brace bolted to the floor pan which was below the drive shaft and in front of the diff. I had mentioned in a earlier post that a guy in Bulgaria was selling one on E Bay made out of aluminum that was stronger than the original one. OK I can handle that but cannot see how the front bar would make a difference with a hatchback. Maybe the Supra needs a rear stress bar?
Post a picture of your new wheels and tires, I would love to see them.
Old 05-05-21, 09:51 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I am not trying to crap on this thread, I really want to understand what people are seeing and thinking and why. Always something to be learned from others.

First, the description of the stb on the bmw is not surprising, the suspension is completely different and would definitely benefit from a strut tower brace, it being McPherson strut. That's simple physics on why those suspensions benefit from making the tops of the strut towers more stiff.

You say your front brace made a noticeable difference. Can you describe why it would do that? There are basically no forces that act laterally on the tops of the shock towers. And even if they did flex slightly, the affect on the suspension geometry would be nil since all of the suspension forces act thru the upper and lower arms to the subframe. Think of the tops of the subframes as the place the force is acted upon when comparing to a McPherson suspension.
Hi Rodger,

No doubt Macpherson design benefits much more from an STB than double wishbone. You are claiming there is 'basically' no force but how much force is basically none? The first on-ramp I carried some speed through, I felt the car was more direct in response to my inputs and was more stable. I am not and never did claim there is any tangible results in terms of lateral grip or lap times as a result.... I simply feel the car communicates better with it installed. The one-piece design and integrated master cylinder stopper were my other reasons for choosing it.

I may make a dual rod to mount to the shock towers, set up a dial indicator and a go pro camera and go make laps and see what kind of deflection we see. Would be an interesting undertaking. If I get that done, I'll come back on here and post what I see. Going to be a while, we just got back from the national championship in our series so going to give it a rest for a while.
Please do if you get the opportunity, would be very interesting to see the results.

I could almost see where somebody might get some benefit if this part of the subframe were flexing and they somehow made that stiffer. But with the design of these subframes and where they mount to the unibody, that isn't happening. I don't know, maybe I am missing something. Curious on what it is if I am
I don't think there is any flex, but the subframe mounting and alignment can be improved and 'trued' though use of the Spoon rigid collars. Mine were installed yesterday and both subframes have moved a bit from their original location showing the factory tolerance allowed in the mounting points. Or maybe just I wasted my money on magic JDM washers. We will see.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 05-05-21 at 10:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SC_coupe:
Bimmerbill (05-06-21), RXRodger (05-05-21)

Quick Reply: 1998 SC400 rear tower brace ?