Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Install hydraulic handbrake in IS250 2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 12:40 PM
victor25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install hydraulic handbrake in IS250 2006

Has anybody tried to install a hydraulic handbrake in 2nd generation of IS250? Cars with manual transmission have handbrake instead of footbrake that AT cars have, but it's too weak to block the wheels on the go when you drive straight. I have IS 250 2006 MT and it can really block the wheels only when you turn the wheel, not when you drive straight.

I wonder if there's a cheap way to replace stock calipers with ones that support dual circuit. I know Ksport big brake kit called dualcomp supports it, like this one: https://ksportusa.com/product/lexus-...bklx200-445so/ - but it costs $2k+ and it's way expensive than I would like to spend on it. Basically, I'm looking for a conversion KIT to replace my stock rear calipers with ones that would work well with ABS but will also have another circuit for connecting a hydraulic handbrake. As a fallback option, probably there's a conversion kit that will allow to use stock cable handbrake with brake pads instead of brake shoes, i.e. stock handbrake that will connect to caliper directly and will use brake pads.

Any thoughts on it would be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-27-21, 06:42 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by victor25
Has anybody tried to install a hydraulic handbrake in 2nd generation of IS250? Cars with manual transmission have handbrake instead of footbrake that AT cars have, but it's too weak to block the wheels on the go when you drive straight. I have IS 250 2006 MT and it can really block the wheels only when you turn the wheel, not when you drive straight.

I wonder if there's a cheap way to replace stock calipers with ones that support dual circuit. I know Ksport big brake kit called dualcomp supports it, like this one: https://ksportusa.com/product/lexus-...bklx200-445so/ - but it costs $2k+ and it's way expensive than I would like to spend on it. Basically, I'm looking for a conversion KIT to replace my stock rear calipers with ones that would work well with ABS but will also have another circuit for connecting a hydraulic handbrake. As a fallback option, probably there's a conversion kit that will allow to use stock cable handbrake with brake pads instead of brake shoes, i.e. stock handbrake that will connect to caliper directly and will use brake pads.

Any thoughts on it would be much appreciated, thanks!
I wouldn't call these an emergency brake any more. You are right about that. You do leave it in first gear,, yes? That alone should hold it on most hills.

If your car goes through annual inspection, these mods won't fly.

Back in the day when we built sand rails, you placed turning brakes in line with the brakes to the rear of the car. If you were to grab a drift car level brake and glorify the handle with locking mechanism, you might have something on the cheap...

Personally, I'm not sure I would trust hydraulics alone.

Maybe go on a quest for calipers with mechanical levers that operate the pads. Something like this: 2006 Mazda 6, 3.0V6, rear caliper

Old 06-01-21, 04:39 AM
victor25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey @2013FSport,

Thank you for your reply!

> I wouldn't call these an emergency brake any more. You are right about that. You do leave it in first gear,, yes? That alone should hold it on most hills.

Oh, probably I was not clear enough for the purposes of this. Stock handbrake hold the car well on the hills, and yes, I also use first gear just in case, but so far I haven't had any problems holding the car with the handbrake. The main idea was to start using the handbrake for making U-turns, you know? It's too weak to lock the rear wheels on the go.

> If your car goes through annual inspection, these mods won't fly.

Yeah, that's suck.. so far the annual inspection was canceled in Ukraine, so it should not be a problem (unless I will try to sell the car ). Though, it might be also returned back, so it might be a question someday, but I just close my eyes on it for now. As an alternative solution - I think I could keep the current stock handbrake and place a new hydraulic one, but it will mean that I will need to make some holes in my tunnel at least and that's why I wanted to avoid. The initial idea was to replace the stock handbrake and so I could reuse that place for the hydraulic one, at least it will not require extra holes and if someday I will change my mind and return everything back without any traces.

> Back in the day when we built sand rails, you placed turning brakes in line with the brakes to the rear of the car. If you were to grab a drift car level brake and glorify the handle with locking mechanism, you might have something on the cheap...

I'm not sure I completely understand this. What is that "the handle with locking mechanism" looks like?

> Personally, I'm not sure I would trust hydraulics alone.

Yeah, I see what you mean, it will be tricky to hold the car on hills, thankful I don't have too much hills on my location, and yeah, I was thinking of using hydraulic handbrake along with the first gear, also turning the wheels into the direction of curb may help on long stays. In other words, I'll have to keep it in mind everytime, but I'm ready to put up with it.

> Maybe go on a quest for calipers with mechanical levers that operate the pads. Something like this: 2006 Mazda 6, 3.0V6, rear caliper

Yeah, I was thinking about something similar. If there were any bolt-on solutions for my car - I think I would definitely try it, though nothing was found so far. Buying a caliper from another car and trying to integrate it into my car sounds less cool, but probably still a possible solution. I just don't want to buy something that I would not be able to use because of the impossibility of integrating it.

Also, another good question is that I'm not sure how stronger/better such a solution will be. Do you think it (caliper with handbrake integration) will work much better and will be able to lock the wheels on the go in comparison with stock drum brakes with parking shoes? Anyway, probably it won't have the same braking force as hydraulic handbrake :/
Old 06-02-21, 01:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by victor25
Hey @2013FSport,

Thank you for your reply!

> I wouldn't call these an emergency brake any more. You are right about that. You do leave it in first gear,, yes? That alone should hold it on most hills.

Oh, probably I was not clear enough for the purposes of this. Stock handbrake hold the car well on the hills, and yes, I also use first gear just in case, but so far I haven't had any problems holding the car with the handbrake. The main idea was to start using the handbrake for making U-turns, you know? It's too weak to lock the rear wheels on the go.

> If your car goes through annual inspection, these mods won't fly.

Yeah, that's suck.. so far the annual inspection was canceled in Ukraine, so it should not be a problem (unless I will try to sell the car ). Though, it might be also returned back, so it might be a question someday, but I just close my eyes on it for now. As an alternative solution - I think I could keep the current stock handbrake and place a new hydraulic one, but it will mean that I will need to make some holes in my tunnel at least and that's why I wanted to avoid. The initial idea was to replace the stock handbrake and so I could reuse that place for the hydraulic one, at least it will not require extra holes and if someday I will change my mind and return everything back without any traces.

> Back in the day when we built sand rails, you placed turning brakes in line with the brakes to the rear of the car. If you were to grab a drift car level brake and glorify the handle with locking mechanism, you might have something on the cheap...

I'm not sure I completely understand this. What is that "the handle with locking mechanism" looks like?

> Personally, I'm not sure I would trust hydraulics alone.

Yeah, I see what you mean, it will be tricky to hold the car on hills, thankful I don't have too much hills on my location, and yeah, I was thinking of using hydraulic handbrake along with the first gear, also turning the wheels into the direction of curb may help on long stays. In other words, I'll have to keep it in mind everytime, but I'm ready to put up with it.

> Maybe go on a quest for calipers with mechanical levers that operate the pads. Something like this: 2006 Mazda 6, 3.0V6, rear caliper

Yeah, I was thinking about something similar. If there were any bolt-on solutions for my car - I think I would definitely try it, though nothing was found so far. Buying a caliper from another car and trying to integrate it into my car sounds less cool, but probably still a possible solution. I just don't want to buy something that I would not be able to use because of the impossibility of integrating it.

Also, another good question is that I'm not sure how stronger/better such a solution will be. Do you think it (caliper with handbrake integration) will work much better and will be able to lock the wheels on the go in comparison with stock drum brakes with parking shoes? Anyway, probably it won't have the same braking force as hydraulic handbrake :/
OK, so you need this for play time. In that case, look up drift car hand brakes... Again, some off-roading applications should offer what you need too. Our sand rails used a lever per rear wheel for locking Left or Right individual wheel to force a minimal turning radius. You can buy single lever ones too.

So, now you need to convert your car to a foot brake like the automatics and buy a suitable hydraulic lever... If you go looking there are plenty of holes with plugs in the cabin. That is the least of your problems.

And no, the rear pads are too small to ever be effective to keep the rears locked as you desire.