Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front lower control arm ball joint specs - can't find thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 01:03 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Front lower control arm ball joint specs - can't find thread

Somewhere on here is a post from someone that had taken the time to measure the shank root diameter, taper, and length of the ball joints in our lower control arms. They then went to a parts store and found something that matched up and was considering it as a rebuild of a factory arm. I dismissed it at the time because by the time you do the machining and install this new ball joint you could buy complete new control arms, at the pricing at that time. As of last year, Toyota doubled the price of the arms and that changes this perspective. Does anyone know where to find this post or thread? I have looked for hours and I am just not finding it. I realize there are aftermarket options out there, and those look more attractive now, but I am stuck with factory arms for my race car due to the race series restrictions. Hopefully somebody has the thread saved in their favorites. I wish I had done that. Let me know if you know where this post is.

Thanks
Old 08-18-21, 08:58 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Somewhere on here is a post from someone that had taken the time to measure the shank root diameter, taper, and length of the ball joints in our lower control arms. They then went to a parts store and found something that matched up and was considering it as a rebuild of a factory arm. I dismissed it at the time because by the time you do the machining and install this new ball joint you could buy complete new control arms, at the pricing at that time. As of last year, Toyota doubled the price of the arms and that changes this perspective. Does anyone know where to find this post or thread? I have looked for hours and I am just not finding it. I realize there are aftermarket options out there, and those look more attractive now, but I am stuck with factory arms for my race car due to the race series restrictions. Hopefully somebody has the thread saved in their favorites. I wish I had done that. Let me know if you know where this post is.

Thanks
aaaaaaaah... i was just looking for that same thread a couple of weeks ago... couldn't find it. I decided to just buy the control arms for now. I could have sworn that thread was on Lexusdriver.com though. Please let us know if you find it.
Old 08-19-21, 06:04 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by madmax98
aaaaaaaah... i was just looking for that same thread a couple of weeks ago... couldn't find it. I decided to just buy the control arms for now. I could have sworn that thread was on Lexusdriver.com though. Please let us know if you find it.
I didn't, but I did find one thread with some reference to a 4-Runner balljoint being similar. I may chase that down and if it comes out close I will come back and post it here. Frustrating that I am going to have to go back and redo work already completed.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (08-19-21)
Old 10-07-21, 05:57 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Rodger,
Hope all is well with you and your race car buddies. I just wondering if you will be going back to Barber. Would love to see everybody and your SC run around the track.
Old 10-11-21, 03:10 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Rodger,
Hope all is well with you and your race car buddies. I just wondering if you will be going back to Barber. Would love to see everybody and your SC run around the track.
Yeah Bill we will be there. We won on Saturday last year so looking for a repeat!