Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lifting an IS250 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 04:19 PM
Jeyemesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting an IS250 AWD?

Greetings from Vancouver BC!

I'm the 2nd and likely final owner of an 07 IS250 AWD which I've had for 7 years. I've thought of selling and trading up but it's gone through so much that it wouldn't be worth much. It's also very common around here, so plenty to choose from. Mine has multiple battle scars, some my fault and some by acts of god (dent on the roof from a branch). To top it off it the interior has endured two doberman mix pups that had a some separation anxiety at the time.

Coming to acceptance that I'm keeping this one till it dies (Like never?) and being surprised with how well it's done for a camping trip on forest service roads, I thought why not have fun with it?

I'm looking to lift the suspension by at least 25mm(as much as possible as simply as possible). I'd like to keep it simple and entirely bolt on if possible. If need be, I am a technician/fabricator by trade and have worked with an amateur motorsports team as well as coach builder in the past.

With some quick reading I found Tema4x4 strut spacers that'll give 30mm of lift. I've always considered the stock 16" wrapped in All Terrains but having come upon the IS350 of Michael Hooper from River City Rally, I'm left really liking 15" rims and wanting more suspension travel. Strut spacers aren't ideal as I would like some more travel for the extra cush.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for longer travel coilovers? Again just preferring the simplest options first, just enough for the FSRs, no rally races.

I am aware of the vibration issue when lowering these cars and should it come up I'll entertain the option of fabricating longer front control arms, tie rods, and having the axles extended. Hopefully no issues with the rear axle as the rear suspension is a bit more complex to fabricate (But I think I would eventually should I have to go down this route).

Made it through 33km of forest service roads. Cruised quite comfortably at speeds of 60-70km/h on the smoother stretches.

Behind are my bud's 3rd gen Taco and 1st gen Highlander tucked behind the tents. The Taco was loaded so slow around the tight corners. I did give the Highlander a good run for it's money.
Old 06-22-21, 12:53 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Suspension-wise, we'll need to know mount-to-mount distance and amount of travel in the stock suspension, then we'll need to look for what would fit. I'd say a CUV like the RAV4 or something will probably be close. Geometry will still be limited as hell, though.

If you have Andrew W.K. blasting on repeat and share hairstyles with Joe Dirte`, then you can just bolt blocks between the subframe and vehicle to run bigger tires. Be sure to drop the trans mount an equal amount to keep driveline angle in check. Might need to screw-clamp a stick between the steering shaft and rack. Also might want to steal some road signs to attach under the car to protect the rack.
Old 06-27-21, 10:58 PM
Jeyemesel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Suspension-wise, we'll need to know mount-to-mount distance and amount of travel in the stock suspension, then we'll need to look for what would fit. I'd say a CUV like the RAV4 or something will probably be close. Geometry will still be limited as hell, though.

If you have Andrew W.K. blasting on repeat and share hairstyles with Joe Dirte`, then you can just bolt blocks between the subframe and vehicle to run bigger tires. Be sure to drop the trans mount an equal amount to keep driveline angle in check. Might need to screw-clamp a stick between the steering shaft and rack. Also might want to steal some road signs to attach under the car to protect the rack.
Cool thanks for the help. I don't see a need for dropping the trans mount, kinda silly as I'm looking for more ground clearance. The rear diff won't be to be dropped so the driveshaft between it and the transmission won't be affected. The drive axles would be affected however, but again, I can manage making extended arms, linkages, and sending out the axles to be lengthened and balanced. Lengthening the arms would solve the angles of the CV joints, as well as add a bit more lift.

River City Rally succeeded with their IS350, however mine is AWD. From what I've read/seen from their build thread, they've made custom front shock mounts, looks about a half day to make a pair, and had to change the angle of front lower (or upper?) ball joint. Apart from that, installed a set of custom built struts.

That's all a bit too involved, again I've already considered just installing strut spacers and taking a page from River City Rally's book and grinding down the ball joints to fit 15" wheels with much taller tires, I most likely will go down this path to start. Just wondering if anyone else had success to lifting their Gen2 IS?
Old 07-05-21, 04:10 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

You could do Fortune Auto coils with air cups. But I don’t know how durable that setup would actually be. Nor do I know if the cups are actually designed to be driven on for extended amounts of time.
Old 06-01-24, 10:35 PM
derekcb21
1st Gear

Did you ever end up lifting it? Id like to do something similar to my is350