Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Coilover Setup would be best

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 06:39 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Coilover Setup would be best

Hello Everyone,

Looking for your experience with the list of coilovers below. This is a daily driver so comfort would be preferable, the ride height will not be too low, stiffness would be good.

TEIN TYPE HA
Aragosta Type-S
Killer Bee (Damper)
Ai Star (Damper)

What is the different between regular coilovers and dampers?

One last thing to note, the car is all factory and looking for a set that will be an easy install and not require any additional hardware/modification.

Thank you in Advance.
Old 07-31-21, 09:45 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

I did a metric ton of research trying to find the type of coils that you're looking for and the KWV3 kit for the MKIV Supra was the closest i got. The two way adjust ability meant i was able to tune them so that the car wasnt bouncy and the spring rates weren't absurdly high. They also reuse the stock top hats which also means that in terms for noise and vibration, the car feels pretty much the same. You feel more of the road due to the stiffer springs and the solid rubber bushing at the base of the strut but they are still better than pillow ball or metal mounts. Most coils that advertise 'rubber' mounts are really just solid mounts with a hardened rubber insert between the spring and the mount that barely absorbed anything. With that being said there is only one thing that I don't like about these coils. Even at their highest setting on the front, they are still too low. Not to the point where im scraping or anything, it just looks too low. (to me anyway).
Also keep in mind that 'comfortable' is a subjective term. What i find stiff but comfortable you might find to be too soft. I have a more detailed post regarding my thoughts on these coils in my build thread, you are welcome to check it out.
Old 08-01-21, 04:53 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello V, thank you for your response. I looked into the KWV3 coilover kit and it indeed looks like a high quality piece. Unfortunately, I am looking for used coilovers due to budget and the above selection is available at some JDM shops in my area. That said, if anyone has a used set of quality coilovers, I would be interested in talking to you.