Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21 | 06:44 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Default Fog light question

When I turn just my fog lights on (headlights off) the center displays “turn parking lights on”, and when I do, the message goes away, but the lights do not come on, but do with headlights. Software glitch, or do I have a problem?

And if I don’t have a problem, is there a hack to run the fog lights with just the parking lights on?
Old 09-22-21 | 05:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I can't comment about the warning message on the dash as I've never seen that on my 2014 IS250, but the Fog Lights will only work with the headlights on in low beam...as per the Owners Manual:

Outside of the warning message, the vehicle appears to be operating as intended. That is how the Fog lights work on my vehicle as well.
Logic would also dictate that if the driving conditions warrant the Fog lights being on, then you should have the headlights on as well, as the Fogs are only supplemental lights.

I'm not sure if anyone had modded the factory Fog lights to come on with the Taillights only...realistically it could be done with a relay, fuse, and some wiring.
It would mean also cutting some of the factory wires and the Fog light switch on the stalk inside the car would also be rendered useless.
The following users liked this post:
Gasturbine (09-22-21)
Old 09-22-21 | 05:42 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Hmmm, thanks for the detailed reply! But this is what I get if I try to turn on my fog lights if my headlights are off, or in auto, and of course, they don’t come on when I turn just my parking lights on. Software glitch I guess, oh well.

BTW, mine is a ‘14 is 250 too.

Last edited by Gasturbine; 09-22-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-22-21 | 08:03 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

I didn’t realize yours was an f-sport…different software and dash. Nice car and build my friend. 👍
Old 09-23-21 | 04:51 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Even though the F Sport gauge looks different it will still show the same info and the non F Sport model.
I'm wondering if the difference is that my car is a Canadian model.
I don't have a DRL Off option on my light stalk...my off position still has the DRL's on.
My switch is always in Auto with the Fog lights on, so whenever the vehicle determines the lights need to come on the Fog come on also.
The message you're getting is a little odd if you get it in Auto...cause the car should know that it's basically in control of turning the lights on, so why give you that message.
If the light switch was in the off position I could see the message being relevant, even though it's incorrect.

Maybe someone with a US model could chime in.

I'm assuming this message is either something new or you recently got the vehicle?
Old 09-23-21 | 08:34 AM
Gasturbine
Driver

Yup, off OR auto. I do have an option to turn off my DRLs in the setup (permanent ) but if I put my stalk in “off”, my DRLs go off too. With the setup option on, my DRLs only come on in auto. Seems a bit strange, oh well. And yes, new to me.
Old 09-23-21 | 09:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

If you pull the stalk that is the Flash function, which will turn the DRL's off to turn on the High Beams.
I'll have to confirm on my own car though.

DRL's should be on in Taillight, Headlight, and Auto (when Auto turns on the headlights).
Old 09-23-21 | 10:45 AM
Gasturbine
Driver

Nope. The ONLY position the DRls are on is in auto. If I move the stalk to ANY other position, they go off.

Last edited by Gasturbine; 09-23-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-23-21 | 11:13 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Nope. The ONLY position the DRls are on is in auto. If I move the stalk to ANY other position, they go off.
Definitely something doesn't sound right there.
I guess first question is, are these OEM fog lights as far as you can tell?
Only non F Sport 3ISs could you get factory fog lights with. I just assumed yours were OEM.

If your switch has a DRL Off position then there is no rationale as to why it wouldn't be on in all the other positions. Without the DRL Off position your DRLs should function like my car...they would be on at all times when the car is running...literally.
I'm also assuming your taillights and headlights work when you turn the switch to those positions.
Old 09-23-21 | 03:44 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Okay, I was mistaken on a couple points. First, they are indeed factory fog lights and we have already established the coding is bad, via the direction to “Turn on your parking lights to turn on the fog lights”. They should have wrote it say “Turn on your headlights to turn on the fog lights” if you try to turn them in any other position, than the headlights already, as per the manual, so we now know that software was written incorrectly.

But what thread has now done, is to confuse me on the DRLs. I was wrong about the DRLs going off in parking lights position…they do indeed stay on. And I assumed turning the switch all the back was lights off, it’s not, that position is DRLs off. So that begs the question, if it’s dark out, how can you turn the headlights off? And to confuse matter more, if you can turn the DRLs off from the stalk, why is there a setting in the Enforce to toggle them?

And two other things, my DRLs do NOT go off when I flash to pass, and two, my DRLs “dim” when my headlights are on.

confusing.
Old 09-23-21 | 04:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

So that begs the question, if it’s dark out, how can you turn the headlights off? Not sure I understand the question...are you asking how can they let you turn the headlights off when it's dark out? Or do you want to turn the headlights off when it's dark out?
I mean the last position forward is Headlights on, so if you don't want them on, then don't turn to the last position, stop at the taillight position.
if you can turn the DRLs off from the stalk, why is there a setting in the Enforce to toggle them? We don't have Enforce where I am, but I can only assume they let you toggle it on so you can find the car in a full dark parking lot, for example. The DRL Off switch on the stalk is just one input to control the DRLs. In the end, no matter the input method, the Main Body ECU is what controls the lights...all of the them...in the entire vehicle. I'm not sure why being able to toggle them on in Enforce is a concern...if anything it's a bonus feature.
my DRLs do NOT go off when I flash to pass that one I was not 100% sure about, if they stay on then that is likely normal.
my DRLs “dim” when my headlights are on. That is 100% normal...much like how the interior lights also dim.
Old 09-24-21 | 12:21 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Here is the toggle in Enforce under vehicle/lights setup. The next one is my stalk.

I think I got it. Toggle daytime running lights tp “no” in Enforce, and they are off, always!

So last night, I turned off the headlights, by moving the stalk to “DRL/OFF” all lights go off, so wouldn’t it safe to say the drl/off, is also the lights “master switch”, correct? In that position, the only exterior lights are the brakes, am I right?

Last edited by Gasturbine; 09-24-21 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-24-21 | 08:16 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Yes...when you turn the stalk to DRL OFF that will shut all lights off outside the vehicle (Headlights, Taillights, and DRLs).
The brake lights will always function as they are their own independent circuit.
The following users liked this post:
Gasturbine (09-25-21)
Old 09-25-21 | 04:40 AM
Gasturbine
Driver

Thank you Sasnuke! 👍