Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do the swap
100.00%
Stealership
0%
Find a mechanic
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

98 GS300 / 05 GS300 complete rear subframe swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 03:53 AM
VincntVega
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS300 / 05 GS300 complete rear subframe swap

Hi everyone new to the forum. I have a 98 gs300 and according to the Toyota dealer it needs $5000 in rear assembly work due to rust and wear. Lower control arms, lower support arms, bushings etc. Seems like a waste to put new parts on a rusty worn rear assembly at that price.

I found a rust free, complete 2005 rear subframe with 90k miles on it in good condition for $500 and am wondering if I should just do a full swap. (pic below)

From my understanding I would need to remove the calipers&speed sensor&parking break, unbolt the struts, drive shaft & exhaust and then remove the subframe bolts and bolt the new one in. I plan on replacing the struts in the process as well.

questions - Am I underestimating this job? It feels fairly straightforward. Anyone advise against doing this swap due to potential component mismatching due to the difference in years or any other reasons?? Feels like I could get this done in a few days and have a decent rust-free rear assembly. Appreciate any advice!!

Old 09-30-21, 07:17 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I'd consider selling and starting fresh with a low or no rust car. They are cheap and I have to assume you have more rust issues than just the rear sub-frame area. So where does it stop when it come to repairs? See what I mean? I bought my 98 rust free for $900. Not saying that's always available. But if you find one in need of cats or something that greatly diminishes the value, you can get them at a good price. Just sell yours cheap and put that money you plan on spending towards the next one. I think that makes more sense in the long run if you are a fan of these cars and plan to keep it or mod it etc.

So my vote is neither of the above.

Also, are you a mechanic? If you aren't skilled or have a lift available, that is quite a big job to tackle. So consider that too. If the car is so rusty that the dealer recommended that much in repairs, you will have a major fight on your hands with bolts and even getting the assembly out and in.
Old 09-30-21, 01:49 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

I swapped my subframe, not due to rust, but due to damage I did cutting and removing the seized alignment bolts. The job wasn't too bad really. I got through it without a lift. It's not trivial but I don't remember too many meaningful hang-ups. If you're handy, you can do it. If they're both 300s, it should be a direct swap and I can't think of anything that would differ between the years back there.
Old 09-30-21, 05:48 PM
VincntVega
Driver School Candidate

@TrueGS300 I appreciate the response! This did cross my mind. A little more background - I got this car for free from a relative with 120k miles on it. It also is in pretty good shape in terms of rust. It's not the subframe that is the problem but rather the components - lower control arms etc. I just figured it would be easier to pop off the subframe than fight my way through the rust in the suspension components.

I brought it to Lexus today and they disagreed with the Toyota dealer. Lexus said the car is safe and just has surface rust. The car is rust-free other than some spotting on the subframe and the rust on the suspension. So I am just going to hold off for now on doing anything with the suspension. That said, it is not in tip-top shape and I would like it to last me a long time as I love this car. The market is just so crazy right now. I don't see any GS300s for under 6 grand with reasonable mileage. I'm a bit torn on how to proceed...

It has been kept in good mechanical condition. New valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires & coil packs, fresh rotors calipers and pads, and routine maintenance performed. Really thorough maintenance record. But it's been through a couple of people in the family and it's hard to say how hard it was driven. This morning the transmission was hesitating from 1st to 2nd on me off of a cold start. After it was warm it felt normal. Just had the transmission fluid flushed too. And cosmetically it's not great. Failing clear coat and dents.

Anyways, clearly a lot on my mind and whether to stick with this GS or find another. Thanks for the help so far @TrueGS300 @KyleH . I need to mull the situation over some more.

Last edited by VincntVega; 09-30-21 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 07:15 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Let's face it, the overlap within a Venn diagram of people who are willing and interested in rehabbing and driving a 20+ year old car and the people that can afford to is a pretty slim sliver. Wouldn't blame you for getting out of it, but I always root for these cars to be in the hands of enthusiasts instead of people that are in need of the lowest cost transportation with an L badge on it.
Old 10-01-21, 08:52 AM
VincntVega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KyleH
Let's face it, the overlap within a Venn diagram of people who are willing and interested in rehabbing and driving a 20+ year old car and the people that can afford to is a pretty slim sliver. Wouldn't blame you for getting out of it, but I always root for these cars to be in the hands of enthusiasts instead of people that are in need of the lowest cost transportation with an L badge on it.
thanks @KyleH . I have definitely fall into the category of enthusiast at this point. I want to bring a gs300 back. Just not sure if I should put the effort/money towards this one or a better example.
Old 10-02-21, 12:53 PM
MOAWINGS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, my rear subframe is kinda crusty so I'm just gonna wire-wheel/sandblast it and recoat. Needs every bushing under the sun. Swapping out the subframe bushings for poly mounts... which were hard to find on the cheaper side.
Old 01-07-22, 11:44 AM
Ddk912
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same boat

I have a 2000 gs400 with a clean body and interior and good engine. I’ve already spent considerable money on “deferred “ mtce, but was clearly in denial about under body corrosion. Is it repairable? Will components just snap? It’s pretty bad.
Old 06-24-22, 11:31 AM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year I bought another gs300. 2004 gs300 with 124k miles on it for $3,500. Did the basic "DIY" overlook before buying the car, and luckily I made a good choice. Took it to Lexus and had them do a "FULL" inspection. Only the normal maintenance was required ( fluid change, plug, wires, few vacuum hoses, pcv, you know simple things ). They also said replace rear driver side upper control arm, rear sub frame bushings. And at that point it was decided to REPLACE EVERY SUSPENSION PART. Point being 10 months into buying it I've put about $12k into overhauling it with engine, exhaust, and suspension parts...now
it's an almost 20 year old car that drives, rides, and performs like a 2022 car that will be mines for another 10-20 years! IF YOU LIKE IT, SHOW IT THE LOVE IT DESERVES!!!
Old 12-08-23, 12:18 PM
naluloa
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Jesus christ, 12k... nothing like a 2GS though and if it's as up-to-speed as you say it is I'm sure it's a sick one. Currently workingon refreshing my own GS 400
Old 12-08-23, 12:54 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naluloa
Jesus christ, 12k... nothing like a 2GS though and if it's as up-to-speed as you say it is I'm sure it's a sick one. Currently workingon refreshing my own GS 400
Lol. It's an expensive car to refurbish. But 12k is pretty low. I failed to mention that labor was included... Soon I'll show it on my YouTube channel for the first time...I hope you get the GS400 to its standards it deserves. Supercharge it!!!