Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers: HKS Hipermax vs RS*R Sports-I vs ST XTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 10:30 AM
wavestorm8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilovers: HKS Hipermax vs RS*R Sports-I vs ST XTA

I'm looking to buy coilovers for my 2011 IS350, and I'm trying to decide between two sets: The new HKS Hipermax S ($~1600) and the RS*R Sports-I (~1800). I've also looked at the ST XTA Coils, which are within the same price range.

My understanding is that after BC BR and FA 500 coils, these HKS, RS*R and XTA are in the tier above in terms of quality. However, it seems like very few people purchase these coilovers for the 2IS.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the HKS Hipermax S, as they were just released and appear to be the new, upgraded version of the HKS Hipermax IV GT. I like how the 2IS was included in the initial development of the coils, meaning that they've probably tested them extensively ,fitted them well to our cars, and will be able to support them into the future. They also have a 3-year warranty.

I've heard a lot of good things about the RS*R Sports - I on other Lexus Models and the 3IS, but my concern is that since the sets for the 2is have been discontinued, they weren't very popular to begin with, and may not have as much post-purchase support.

I know that the ST XTA's are well regarded in general, but I don't think I've read of anyone on here having used them for the 2is.

Can anyone that has experience with these coils and brands provide any information?
Old 10-15-21, 03:44 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Pretty extensive review and info about the hipermax s on the ISF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...uspension.html

Also an extensive compiled coilover thread also on the ISF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oilover+thread

Last edited by mike33; 10-15-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-15-21, 04:24 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

My buddy has them on his ISF and enjoys them.
Old 10-19-21, 12:10 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Check in here for your model year:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nd-brakes-198/
Old 10-20-21, 05:45 AM
sanatarium
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a set of ST XTA coils on order. I was very impressed with what I read. I have owned KW coils in the past as well, which swayed me to ST(owned by KW)
Old 07-19-22, 12:52 PM
StealthIS
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey did you ever decide on what coilovers you were going to get?
Old 08-30-22, 07:31 PM
StealthIS
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wavestorm8
I'm looking to buy coilovers for my 2011 IS350, and I'm trying to decide between two sets: The new HKS Hipermax S ($~1600) and the RS*R Sports-I (~1800). I've also looked at the ST XTA Coils, which are within the same price range.

My understanding is that after BC BR and FA 500 coils, these HKS, RS*R and XTA are in the tier above in terms of quality. However, it seems like very few people purchase these coilovers for the 2IS.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the HKS Hipermax S, as they were just released and appear to be the new, upgraded version of the HKS Hipermax IV GT. I like how the 2IS was included in the initial development of the coils, meaning that they've probably tested them extensively ,fitted them well to our cars, and will be able to support them into the future. They also have a 3-year warranty.

I've heard a lot of good things about the RS*R Sports - I on other Lexus Models and the 3IS, but my concern is that since the sets for the 2is have been discontinued, they weren't very popular to begin with, and may not have as much post-purchase support.

I know that the ST XTA's are well regarded in general, but I don't think I've read of anyone on here having used them for the 2is.

Can anyone that has experience with these coils and brands provide any information?
I bought the HKS Hipermax S coilovers and I enjoy them.
Old 08-30-22, 08:15 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 386 Likes on 169 Posts

I have Hipermax IV GT since 4 years ago before that BC Racing BR coils, I like how the Hipermax rides great and yet still handles great, and i found the BC a bit bouncy...
Old 09-01-22, 08:30 AM
BXIS250
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ST all the way, by a large margin.

Originally Posted by sanatarium
I've got a set of ST XTA coils on order. I was very impressed with what I read. I have owned KW coils in the past as well, which swayed me to ST(owned by KW)
Even built by KW, in the same factory, with the same machines, with the same parts, by the same people.

All they do is engineer, test and build adjustable coilovers, whereas HKS does no. They outsource the engineering and building, I forgot by who. I cannot comment on RSR as I do not have experience with them, however, they do look like the cheaper / Asian (Chinese / Taiwanese, like BC Racing etc.) built coilovers, though.