Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

92 SC400 Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21 | 04:37 PM
Ptowndon
Rookie

Default 92 SC400 Steering Issue

I have read lots of posts but none have addressed the symptoms I have on my '92 SC400 steering. I notice two problems:

1) The steering wheel is not straight while going down the road. Rather it is always cocked maybe 30 deg. one way or the other. And, the direction of being cocked is not consistent.

2) There does not seem to be a direct connection between the steering wheel/shaft and the rack/pinion. That is, I have to move the steering wheel more than normal to get a movement on the front wheels. When making a turn it feels like I am driving on ice. I turn the steering wheel gently and the car does not respond; I have to turn the steering wheel more to get the car to make the turn. I do know the steering wheel moves 3 revolutions from lock-to-lock. I suspect your thoughts are that the car needs an alignment or that something is worn out in the steering components.

However, I have had the car on jack-stands several times checking for looseness and tire wear. Everything under the car seems tight. I cannot feel any play in the inner/outer tie rod ends. Tires are not wearing to suggest misalignment. The car drives as straight as an arrow and does not pull to either side. I do not have to fight the steering wheel to keep it going straight. There is only slight movement in the steering wheel when turning side to side before the front wheels begin to jiggle. Steering is definitely power assisted; no rack/pinion/hose leaks; no noise in system.

I have checked the idle speed valve on the power steering pump. I have concluded it is OK because no power steering fluid is being sucked into the car's intake system.

I have removed the solenoid valve on the rack and cleaned the screen. It was mostly plugged but nothing changed after I re-installed the solenoid. I also checked the solenoid to see if it "clicks" when you turn the ignition on. It did not "click" but I noticed movement in the valve. I measured approximately 6.3 Volts on the wires connecting the solenoid. I was surprised this was not reading battery voltage of +12 V or higher. I then applied about 10 V DC to the solenoid from a different battery source and it did "click". Based on this test I made the assumption the solenoid is working correctly.

Can anyone offer an explanation for my loose steering? Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be to power up the solenoid? Also, can anyone tell me what the symptoms are when the solenoid has failed.

I certainly welcome your thoughts.

Don
Old 10-28-21 | 01:13 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

I cannot answer the questions on the solenoid but these symptoms seem to be similar to what people report when the steering rack bushings are failing. They're easy to change out on jack stands in the driveway or garage. I'd recommend replacing those and getting an alignment afterwards based on your issues.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html
Old 10-28-21 | 05:52 PM
Ptowndon
Rookie

Thank you SC_coupe! I have just ordered the replacement bushings. I did see a slight movement in the rack when turning the steering wheel. I thought it was minimal, but will gladly try the bushings.

If anyone has a thought on how to test the solenoid, and the symptoms of what happens when it is defective, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

Ptowndon
Old 11-08-21 | 04:27 PM
Ptowndon
Rookie

I want to bring closure to this thread by telling you the solution to my problem.

SC_coupe suggested the steering rack bushings were bad. I just replaced the original rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings.

The car drives great again; steering wheel is centered; steering is tight; when you turn the steering wheel you are actually turning the front wheels rather than moving the steering rack; no more feeling like you are driving on ice.

The bushings are completely hidden from view. There is no way to "look" and see if they are worn out. You have to remove them to get a look. Mine just fell out when I removed the bolt holding them in place.

Thank you, SC_coupe!!
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (11-09-21)