Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Column Telescoping Doesn't Work on SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21, 08:01 PM
theleme
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering Column Telescoping Doesn't Work on SC300

The steering column telescoping feature on my 1992 manual transmission SC300 doesn't work.

The tilt feature works just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix the telescoping feature would be most appreciated.

Is the problem likely to be the telescoping motor or the control module or both?

Also, how difficult is this to repair?
Old 11-02-21, 02:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Thad, this problem is not so easy to repair. It is more than likely that the telescoping motor has burned out. The sensor is also a possibility but the motor would be my guess. Unfortunately Lexus has discontinued that motor (because of course they have). The tilt motor is still available new but it's expensive in the U.S. and still not cheap if ordered outside the U.S. (Amayama).

Usually with the tilt function going out it tends to be an easily fixed issue with washers added behind the factory plastic gear or a new aftermarket replacement of that plastic gear. Usually the motors last a long time.

However there is no such easy fix for the telescoping function which is what leads me to guess that it is the motor itself that has possibly gone bad. If you hear no momentary noise from the telescoping motor then that is likely the case.

Getting to that part of the assembly... I am not sure if it can be done with the steering column still bolted up or if the steering column must be dropped first from it's two main fastening points.

We can post up the TSRM manual pages for the full steering column removal, disassembly and reassembly if needed.

My advice however would be to leave it alone and focus on maintaining the tilt function since that is much more important. SC300/400's have an advantage over other Lexus models in that they use conventional steering column motors and also since they have a button on the side which can turn the automatic tilt-away and tele-away features off completely which saves wear on those motors.
Old 11-02-21, 08:06 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

theleme actually bumped my old troubleshooting thread, and in reading back through it, I was reminded of a key testing step that indicated the telescoping motor and column are not the problem, rather something in the control of the motor (switch, wiring, etc.). I suspect the switches are prone to burnout.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eshooting.html
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (11-02-21)
Old 11-02-21, 12:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Interesting! I will have to look into that. Maybe there is a way to rebuild those electronic control components in that case?
Old 11-02-21, 01:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

That would be ideal. It's been a long time, but as I recall, I wasn't able to come up with a way to open up the switch to investigate that any further.
Old 11-02-21, 07:38 PM
theleme
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Many thanks for the replies.

Since my steering wheel is in a good in&out position I think the best thing to do is to just live without the telescoping function.

Luckily, my tilt function works just fine and I agree that tilt function is more important than the telescoping function.

And I turned off the automatic tilt adjustment just to prevent un-necessary wear and tear.