Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions regarding steering ECU and bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 01:57 PM
AristoNor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding steering ECU and bushings

I have a 1997 Aristo TT which I'd like to "tighten up" some. It's a manual swap which will be at around 600whp pump and 800whp e85.

Will be changing most of the suspension bushings / ball joints.

I'm on air bags so going poly in the tension rods would probably oval the bushings out fast airing up and down?
Don't really want to change the lower control arm bushings to poly yet either as I need the camber adjustment, and I don't really feel like buying adjustable upper control arms now.

Hence I'm thinking of just going with stock replacements for now. Anyone that has anything good / bad to say about MOOG and Beck Arnley parts?

Will be going for poly steering rack bushings tho.

Just found out about the improved steering feel on L-tuned, Sport design and GS430 steering ECUs.
One person also named the JZS161 steering ECU being the "better" one too. Is this true, or is there something to gain by swapping ECUs?

Rear is already equipped with ARS delete and poly diff bushings. Will be putting in solid subframe bushings to minimize wheel hop and rear wandering.

Beefier roll bars and strut bars will come at a later date.

Anything else I should look into?
Old 02-13-22, 05:25 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 380 Posts

Seems like you have it pretty well handled. I don't care for Moog much. They have really slipped down in quality these days. RockAuto sells a brand called Mevotech that I've been very impressed with for years now. Superior design and better dust shields/grease fittings. I think Moog hangs on from the old days when they really were innovative, but not by today's standards. Plus they are still very expensive.

I went with solid diff bushings for the same reason as well. Left the sub-frame bushings alone though. Don't want the car to be too stiff and too much vibration.. that's kinda what I think will happen. I learned to stay away from most things poly particularly for a street/daily driver. The noises that can come are pretty obnoxious and unbearable. I use them on swaybars, but like to replace control arm bushings with normal rubber. I tried poly steering rack bushings. They made all kinds of nasty noises on turns. Went back to new rubber one's, never had a problem since. I'd say, if you have worn out steering/suspension bushings, just replace with regular parts. Once back to new, they will be tight and the car will handle/perform well.

Anyways, it depends on what you're going for though. Are you racing the car or just a driver? Sometimes it's hard to restrain our modification bug, but remember what it's being used for. How necessary is a new steering ECU and associated sensors and hassle change and figure out? Will you ever even notice it? Probably not. I'm currently finishing up a 700-800hp (goal) build myself. Sure I put it on coilovers and upgraded a few things, but I don't need the car to out corner a formula 1 car at the sacrifice of smooth quiet daily driving. I don't know, I've just ruined too many cars over the years by going overkill on them I guess. Just my advice from learning to keep a car street-able. Are adjustable control arms necessary? Again, is it for show/max camber and a baller look? Or a daily driver? If good alignment and street ability is the goal, adjustable arms aren't necessary. So just keep the big picture in mind what you are going for.

The following users liked this post:
OkiStash (02-13-22)
Old 02-13-22, 09:34 AM
AristoNor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Seems like you have it pretty well handled. I don't care for Moog much. They have really slipped down in quality these days. RockAuto sells a brand called Mevotech that I've been very impressed with for years now. Superior design and better dust shields/grease fittings. I think Moog hangs on from the old days when they really were innovative, but not by today's standards. Plus they are still very expensive.

I went with solid diff bushings for the same reason as well. Left the sub-frame bushings alone though. Don't want the car to be too stiff and too much vibration.. that's kinda what I think will happen. I learned to stay away from most things poly particularly for a street/daily driver. The noises that can come are pretty obnoxious and unbearable. I use them on swaybars, but like to replace control arm bushings with normal rubber. I tried poly steering rack bushings. They made all kinds of nasty noises on turns. Went back to new rubber one's, never had a problem since. I'd say, if you have worn out steering/suspension bushings, just replace with regular parts. Once back to new, they will be tight and the car will handle/perform well.

Anyways, it depends on what you're going for though. Are you racing the car or just a driver? Sometimes it's hard to restrain our modification bug, but remember what it's being used for. How necessary is a new steering ECU and associated sensors and hassle change and figure out? Will you ever even notice it? Probably not. I'm currently finishing up a 700-800hp (goal) build myself. Sure I put it on coilovers and upgraded a few things, but I don't need the car to out corner a formula 1 car at the sacrifice of smooth quiet daily driving. I don't know, I've just ruined too many cars over the years by going overkill on them I guess. Just my advice from learning to keep a car street-able. Are adjustable control arms necessary? Again, is it for show/max camber and a baller look? Or a daily driver? If good alignment and street ability is the goal, adjustable arms aren't necessary. So just keep the big picture in mind what you are going for.
I see. Heard of Mevotech somewhere before but haven't looked into them. Will check them out!

Will be used as a daily cruiser "go fast in a straight line" kinda thing during the nice summer weather, but living in Norway I'd like to take it to the mountain twisties from time to time.

There are different cars for different uses, so yes, the GS doesn't really fall into the same category of performance / driver feel as a 911 for example, but it just feels too disconnected for me.
Would love to make the steering tighter and handle better, but not to the point everything creeks and you feel every pebble.

Biggest thing for me is how "un-direct" the steering inputs feel. Hence I was thinking about the steering ECU as I've heard there's a noticeable difference.

Don't know when or if the bushings / ball-joints were changed the last time, so going stock replacements might hopefully tighten it up enough.
I know the caster arm bushings are shot, and the subframe bushings have small tears, but everything else seemed fine visually atleast.

Going for a "bippu" style, with fender to lip ish fitment aired out, but still being able to perform well when aired up kinda thing.
Hence the thought of adjustable UCA's. I don't really need them or want to buy them either, but If I were to go with poly bushings I'd pretty much would have to get them to be able to adjust the aired out fitment.

Was thinking a little negative camber when aired out, and then just find a height airing up where the camber is at a good setting and using that as my driving height. Then getting toe. etc. adjusted to be correct when in driving height.
Old 02-13-22, 12:52 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

There is a common mod done to any of the power steering controller, it’s easy to make your stock one tighter or softer with the turn of a ****. It’s a pretty simple alteration and makes it very flexible. Here is a link to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...g-ecu-diy.html

Last edited by dwoods801; 02-13-22 at 01:01 PM.