Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 09:26 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default coilovers

Hello

I'm hoping to get opinions and or advice from people that have or used coil-overs on their Gen 2 GS 300..
I'm thinking about putting them on my car, but wanted to get insight from people in this group.

Thanks
Old 03-16-22, 04:11 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

They are nice for lowering and better handling, but at a sacrifice of OEM comfort. Also can be a cheaper alternative to replacing blown struts. Think about your plans for the car when looking for a set though. Cheapest isn't always a good thing. Do you need adjustable dampening? I use the Tein street basis z set which are ride height adjustable but not dampening. They (at least at the time) were a very affordable set that served the purpose of lowering the car, refreshing blown struts, and retained drive-able manners with a matched spring/shock for street use. You will also need an alignment and it is recommended that some spacers called "RCA"s (roll center adjusters) for the front lower ball-joints are installed to aid in proper alignment and handling. If I did any racing or track time, I'd have upgraded to a quality name set with full dampening adjustments though. I just don't see a need for it in street use with a good matched spring/shock. But it depends on what you plan for the car and what it will be used for/driven like.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (03-16-22)
Old 03-16-22, 04:37 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
They are nice for lowering and better handling, but at a sacrifice of OEM comfort. Also can be a cheaper alternative to replacing blown struts. Think about your plans for the car when looking for a set though. Cheapest isn't always a good thing. Do you need adjustable dampening? I use the Tein street basis z set which are ride height adjustable but not dampening. They (at least at the time) were a very affordable set that served the purpose of lowering the car, refreshing blown struts, and retained drive-able manners with a matched spring/shock for street use. You will also need an alignment and it is recommended that some spacers called "RCA"s (roll center adjusters) for the front lower ball-joints are installed to aid in proper alignment and handling. If I did any racing or track time, I'd have upgraded to a quality name set with full dampening adjustments though. I just don't see a need for it in street use with a good matched spring/shock. But it depends on what you plan for the car and what it will be used for/driven like.
Good Morning

I want to lower slightly where its barley noticeable and still keep the comfort of the car.
When I got the car, it had lowered springs already on it and rides kinda ruff and I want this to be my daily driver compared to my expedition.

Not looking to have lowrider or where they have the wheels leaning in, I just want to lower and have a ride smooth as possible even though the suspension will change when its compromised.

I'm look at some shocks and struts.

As ALWAYS I APPRECATE your advice and input!!

Old 07-15-22, 10:07 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
TEIN is a quality named set. They are Japanese made, and built. You just got the cheaper of the many other sets they have for the 2nd Gen gs300 amongst other cars especially Japanese ones. I have the TEIN Flex Z which has full dampening capabilities and they are AWESOME.
Old 07-23-22, 06:39 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I’ve been using coilovers on my daily driver for years.

My advice is get a quality name brand coilover if you are going to do it.
Old 09-09-22, 11:33 AM
preemoguru
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deff get quality brand at minimum, i heard BC's were good or tiens maybe