Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

#2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 08:11 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did my the other day.

Name:  IMG_5924.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5937.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5925.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  91.6 KB

Last edited by obby; 11-11-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 08:25 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Painting stock calipers to show them off is kinda cheezy. Painting them to hide them behind open wheels is a good idea. If you want high end calipers that are colored, spend the money and buy an after market brake kit
Old 11-11-09, 08:58 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint my caliper for me Mr. Obby
Old 11-11-09, 09:20 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

come threw Kevin. you know i got you cover bro.
Old 11-11-09, 09:25 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xuningshen
...i personally consider BBKs rice on the IS, there is no need, unless you track your car, and if you are a real serious person on the track you wouldn't be bringing your IS to the track! you'd bring something more race and not luxury. thats how i look at it anyway...
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum.

Javier
Old 11-12-09, 02:13 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
i know... who the hell is gonna spend 8k on a Endless BBK set and risk damage at a track? BBK = parking lot pimp'n only
Old 11-12-09, 06:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
bump! more thoughts on this topic!
Painting the stock calipers, especially on the 350, looks good IMO. If anything, the bare factory metal easily looks worse, while something subtle like black (my bias), doesn't scream for attention, yet offers an understated but finished touch.

How good it looks will depend on the preperation and how even the paint is applied. It holds up nicely with high temp paint, easily tolerating the 'abuse' of daily driving. The DIY aspect is also a nice bonus for a little weekend project.

i personally consider BBKs rice on the IS, there is no need, unless you track your car, and if you are a real serious person on the track you wouldn't be bringing your IS to the track! you'd bring something more race and not luxury.
I think BBKs are best utilized for the performance aspect, given the cost, but I see no problem with tracking an IS. Not to stray too far off subject, but I think for most people, they'll run out of driving skill before reaching the limits of their cars ability. Sure, there are more purpose-built track toys than the IS, but a person can have plenty of fun/learn driving the car with some track-concious upgrades...I've certainly seen more interesting weapons of choice.
Old 11-17-09, 10:47 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
haha seriously man?

ok so you got a is250, and u got a bbk. how many days has your car seen an actual course? and actually ran the car hard enough to start seeing the effects of brake fade?

If you do, sweet.

i guess what i really meant by that is that IS350/250's with bbk's are dope, awesome. how many are actually using their potentials? a few. then why get it? for looks and baller factor, we should take a poll and see how many people actually bought BBK's to help reduce brake fade, instead of "parking lot pimping" like one above poster said :P

rice was the wrong term, i should've just said most people get them mainly for looks(on the IS)over function because they won't even be using them to their full potential. anyway, i'm not saying i do track my car cuz i don't like i said i just cruise, my cars full of rice and i know it lol but yummm i love myself a bowl of rice :P

Last edited by xuningshen; 11-17-09 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 10:54 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obby
just did my the other day.
looks awesome dude
Old 11-18-09, 09:22 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

haha seriously man?

ok so you got a is250, and u got a bbk. how many days has your car seen an actual course? and actually ran the car hard enough to start seeing the effects of brake fade?

If you do, sweet.

i guess what i really meant by that is that IS350/250's with bbk's are dope, awesome. how many are actually using their potentials? a few. then why get it? for looks and baller factor, we should take a poll and see how many people actually bought BBK's to help reduce brake fade, instead of "parking lot pimping" like one above poster said :P

rice was the wrong term, i should've just said most people get them mainly for looks(on the IS)over function because they won't even be using them to their full potential. anyway, i'm not saying i do track my car cuz i don't like i said i just cruise, my cars full of rice and i know it lol but yummm i love myself a bowl of rice :P
I have an IS350, not a 250. And I've run my car at 4 different race tracks in two different states. So if you want to call my car "rice," you're sorely mistaken. Your logic is completely ridiculous. Going by that would be like calling everyone who bought a 350 over a 250 a ricer because "how many times do you use that power." If someone wants to buy a BBK for "looks and baller factor," it's up to them. What's wrong with having a show car? You don't have to break out the haterade on them because they're "not using them to their full potential."

Javier
Old 11-18-09, 11:29 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

wow jav you completely misunderstood me, sorry i thought u had a 250.

if u read my post again i said rice was the wrong term, so no i'm not calling your car or BBK's rice,

and i would totally buy a BBK if i could afford it but i can't . its dope if you have a BBK even if its just for show. thats not what i meant. geeze you took that one the wrong way, totally not what i meant.

like you said some people buy BBKs just for show, and i'm not hating on that, awesome if you can drop the 5g's on a bbk to roll around in style, more props to you if you even use it to the full potential. people tend to equate mods that are purely for looks as "rice", so wouldn't that be the same thing as people who buy BBK's for show? i'm not hating on them... just trying to point that out. but i guess my logic is stupid so i'll just stop posting now.

hope you understand what i mean

peace out

Last edited by xuningshen; 11-18-09 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 02:07 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i want me some painted calipers.

now, if i can only find time to actually get it done...
Old 11-20-09, 05:55 AM
sean2sean
Rookie

Honestly I tried using epoxy paint and dId not like the results. I end up powder coating them and it def looks better
Old 11-20-09, 11:26 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

^you just gotta prep it well, and make sure that the paint will completely dried before you apply another layer..

I personally put 6 layers on 2 layers of clear coat,,,
it's been almost 6 months and it still looks great..super SMOOTH surface LOL
Old 11-20-09, 01:28 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
^you just gotta prep it well, and make sure that the paint will completely dried before you apply another layer..

I personally put 6 layers on 2 layers of clear coat,,,
it's been almost 6 months and it still looks great..super SMOOTH surface LOL
me too lol

well i got it professionally done and it looks brand new as the first day i got it done about a year ago nice and smoooth like a babys a'sssss

to the op, i say i f you have a is350 then yes painting the calipers WITH lexus decals will look nice (up to you wat color you prefer) since the is350 does have a BBK pretty much its 4 piston and a nice fat caliper
on the other hand if u have a 250... i say keep it stock or it jus looks whack.. the front calipers are like the the size of the rear is350 calipers hahaha..well almost anyways , hope this sorta helps

edit : IMO lol dont flame me 250 guys :s

Quick Reply: #2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)