Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

08 IS 250 awd shocks and lowering springs vs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 10:26 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 IS 250 awd shocks and lowering springs vs coilovers

2008 IS 250 base awd
no modifications
budget<$1,000
located in Nebraska, US
Daily driven
goal is to lower the car for aesthetic purposes

TL;DR: Fsport shocks with H&K lowering springs vs Megan racing coilovers?

My research had led me to believe that Shocks with lowering springs would be my best option because I have read that even with expensive coil overs you sacrifice ride quality. Then I found a post on here praising the hell out of Megan racing coil overs saying that they have great ride quality. At the cost of about $1,000 for F sport shocks and H&R springs, the Megan coilovers for $750 are seeming like a better option. I also like the idea of raising the car for winter, as the salt and snow here is terrible.
Is the ride quality of Megan coilovers really going to be that much worse then f sport shocks paired with H&R springs?
I have used tokico coilovers before on an Acura cl, and multiple brands of lowering springs with stock shocks, so I’m familiar with a poor ride quality.
is there a new consensus on the quality of Megan Coilovers that I missed when researching?

Last edited by RealRyan; 10-04-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 10:36 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by RealRyan
2008 IS 250 base awd
no modifications
budget<$1,000
located in Nebraska, US
Daily driven
goal is to lower the car for aesthetic purposes

TL;DR: Fsport shocks with H&K lowering springs vs Megan racing coilovers?

My research had led me to believe that Shocks with the lowering springs would be my best option because I have read that even with expensive coil overs you sacrifice ride quality. Then I found a post on here praising the hell out of Megan racing coil overs. At the cost of about $1,000 for F sport shocks and H&R springs, the Megan coilovers are seeming like a better option. I also like the idea of raising the car for winter, as the salt and snow here is terrible.
Is the ride quality of Megan coilovers really going to be that much worse then f sport shocks paired with H&R springs?
I have used tokico coilovers before on an Acura cl, and multiple brands of lowering springs with stock shocks, so I’m familiar with a poor ride quality.
is there a new consensus on the quality of Megan Coilovers that I missed when researching?
I cant say how much it will affect comfort. Since long ago I did so much suspension modification. It's more like I'm driving a go cart now. Though I can say the BC's I just installed are slightly stiffer than the OEM suspension. They now are just barely broken in. Not too harsh, and not too soft.

The AWD drive max you can lower is 25.75" fronts, rear maybe 26.25". That's my setup now and I really enjoy it. I'm running 245 40 17 tires on Enkei's OEM offset. I get no vibrations so I'm more than happy with it being lowered.

It all comes down to personal preference of how much harshness you can tolerate. I do get complaints of people when I loan my car. Some say I hate the stiffness of your car. Others the suspension is really tight.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 10-04-22 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-04-22, 11:17 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I cant say how much it will affect comfort. Since long ago I did so much suspension modification. It's more like I'm driving a go cart now. Though I can say the BC's I just installed are slightly stiffer than the OEM suspension. They now are just barely broken in. Not too harsh, and not too soft.

The AWD drive max you can lower is 25.75" fronts, rear maybe 26.25". That's my setup now and I really enjoy it. I'm running 245 40 17 tires on Enkei's OEM offset. I get no vibrations so I'm more than happy with it being lowered.

It all comes down to personal preference of how much harshness you can tolerate. I do get complaints of people when I loan my car. Some say I hate the stiffness of your car. Others the suspension is really tight.
as nice as BC coilovers seem, I would have a hard time purchasing them over the Megan’s if all I get is more settings. I don’t want to track the car, so I don’t care about more then ride height really. My main concern is I have read horrible things about Megan’s coilovers, yet when reading a thread here I found the opposite
Old 10-04-22, 11:39 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

as nice as BC coilovers seem, I would have a hard time purchasing them over the Megan’s if all I get is more settings. I don’t want to track the car, so I don’t care about more then ride height really. My main concern is I have read horrible things about Megan’s coilovers, yet when reading a thread here I found the opposite
I ran them on my old GS400 they're decent. If you don't want to track the car just get default spring rates. The BC'S are just beefier compared to the Megan's.

Once you install them just dial them in. Also they will be softer since you will not be running after market sway bars. Though if you plan to slam the AWD. You will bust the cv axle boots, and get vibrations. So prepare for that, and you'll want stiffer spring rates than default to accomplish that.
Old 10-04-22, 01:35 PM
RealRyan
10th Gear

I ran them on my old GS400 they're decent. If you don't want to track the car just get default spring rates. The BC'S are just beefier compared to the Megan's.

Once you install them just dial them in. Also they will be softer since you will not be running after market sway bars. Though if you plan to slam the AWD. You will bust the cv axle boots, and get vibrations. So prepare for that, and you'll want stiffer spring rates than default to accomplish that.
Depending on the definition of slammed, I may go slightly stiffer then stock spring rates. I was hoping to eliminate the gap and possibly tuck a tiny bit. I was thinking of going for 12 F 10 R. What would you recommend for spring rates if I’m not slamming it, but want to eliminate wheel gap?
Old 10-05-22, 03:34 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

For the Megans , the spring rates are fixed , as there’re not customizable. I’ve had H&R springs paired with OEM shocks and the ride was very smooth , outside of big dips on the freeway. Ive been on Fortune Auto coilovers now for about two mobths and feel that they provide a greater ride than the spring set up. ( also running 19” wheels, Figs rear sway , and RCF front bushings now). Lastly , I’m not 100% sure F-Sport shocks are still available for purchase any longer.
Old 10-05-22, 04:56 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
For the Megans , the spring rates are fixed , as there’re not customizable. I’ve had H&R springs paired with OEM shocks and the ride was very smooth , outside of big dips on the freeway. Ive been on Fortune Auto coilovers now for about two mobths and feel that they provide a greater ride than the spring set up. ( also running 19” wheels, Figs rear sway , and RCF front bushings now). Lastly , I’m not 100% sure F-Sport shocks are still available for purchase any longer.
I literally have a web page up with the fortune auto 500 and holy ****. I’m thinking of saving up simply for the five year warranty. And how sexy they look 👀
The following users liked this post:
bbaugher47 (10-05-22)
Old 10-05-22, 05:08 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
also, when you had paired the H&R springs with your oem shocks, did you purchase and install new shocks at the time of installation of the springs, or were they the original ones?
My car has 127,000 miles and the shocks feel great, which makes me want to say that they were replaced at some point
Old 10-05-22, 01:59 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

My car had like 35k when I bought it 7 years ago. So I had low mileage shocks on her. But the rear passenger shock is known to be a weak point on the second gen. And yeah, Fortune Auto is a great company who makes a fantastic product.
Old 10-10-22, 08:29 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

I did further research about spring rates and I’m very confused. The Megan’s have 10k F 8k R rates, but that is nearly twice as stiff as stock rates. From what my research told me that is more along the lines of track stiffness, and would be a very poor ride quality on damaged roads. My brothers gls turbo beetle has 5k and 6k, and that is already stiff as hell. Are you saying that the Megan’s at 10k 8k would still need to be stiffer to fully lower the car??
At those spring rates combined with the ****ty roads here in Nebraska, lowering springs are seeming like a better option
Old 10-10-22, 10:18 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 386 Likes on 169 Posts

I did further research about spring rates and I’m very confused. The Megan’s have 10k F 8k R rates, but that is nearly twice as stiff as stock rates. From what my research told me that is more along the lines of track stiffness, and would be a very poor ride quality on damaged roads. My brothers gls turbo beetle has 5k and 6k, and that is already stiff as hell. Are you saying that the Megan’s at 10k 8k would still need to be stiffer to fully lower the car??
At those spring rates combined with the ****ty roads here in Nebraska, lowering springs are seeming like a better option
you can't compare a beetle spring rates to Lexus IS250/350/F or any other car, cuz geometry is different and design is different, you can only compare the same car or same suspension layout like a 3GS or Mark X... as far as ride quality I found my HKS hipermax rides amazingly well compared to BC...
Old 10-10-22, 11:34 AM
RealRyan
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
you can't compare a beetle spring rates to Lexus IS250/350/F or any other car, cuz geometry is different and design is different, you can only compare the same car or same suspension layout like a 3GS or Mark X... as far as ride quality I found my HKS hipermax rides amazingly well compared to BC...
That makes sense that different cars have different spring rate needs. I was mainly concerned with the stock spring rates of my IS 250 being so low. If I am reading this right is says they are about 5 kg and 6 kg, which just seems way softer the Megan’s spring rates.