Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Headlights when lowered

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 11:43 AM
Richard Avina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights when lowered

After I lowered my IS, there is now a warning light in my guage cluster showing I need to adjust my headlights. How can I fix this?
Old 10-21-03, 12:17 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a problem known to crop up here and there.

In one instance, I heard that a bracket was installed backwards when it was put back during the lowering process, which affects the auto-leveling.

I just had my wifes car lowered at the same shop that had this problem on a previous lowering job, so now that the shop knows what to look out for, I have not experienced this problem. All a part of the learning process I suppose.

I don't know exactly what part was installed incorrectly, but hopefully others who know more about this problem can shed more light (pun intended) on this subject.

I'll check back with the shop for more details and post what they say. I'm not sure if this is the ONLY reason for this problem, but I'm sure others will respond if it's not.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-21-03 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no brackets were installed upside down, the dealership was BSing. i was at the shop and analyzed the setup with the john and we determined that all you need is to adjust the rear autoleveling control arm (right behind the rear driver side wheel) down to the point that the warning light turns off. it's a common issue when you don't lower the car evenly front and back, no big deal
Old 10-21-03, 12:59 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahh, almost as simple as adjusting the float on yout toilet.

Leave it to the dealer to find any excuse to blame a non-dealer installer.
Old 10-23-03, 03:19 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look on the the left rear lower control arm ( front side of the control arm). You will see the height leveling sensor mount on the lower control arm and if the installer put in upside down, the warnign light will come on. I've seen a few of them on the GS and IS with this problem after the new shocks + spring was install. In order to remove the rear shock, the tech need to remove the lower control arm and undo the bolt that hold the sensor( there's a short cut for this) and the lower control arm got a little slot cut out for the sensor. If the tech did not put the sensor back into the little slot, the light will come on.