Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

suspension upgragdes/shortened spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 11:47 PM
preemoguru
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suspension upgragdes/shortened spindles?

quick question, i have a 01' GS300 and it's my daily but now want to make it more enjoyable to drive it's plane jane (stock af). I was told to shorten the spindles but is that necessary if im going with a flush setup on 18's?? also i saw a few kits via ebay/amazon. Are their suspension kits worth getting?? also any coilovers people recommend as welll as decent sping rates? i don't mind the bouncy coilovers but also im not sold on 3-400 dollar ebay coilovers. any info is appreciated.
Old 02-18-23, 08:20 AM
Scigheras
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All depends on what you are looking for exactly in the car and how it drives. Just saying "more enjoyable" can mean anything so we can't help you like that.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (02-18-23)
Old 02-18-23, 09:23 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

You have 18's flush fitment with stock suspension? I heard bc racing are good with custom spring rates of your choice. I dont have personal experience with bc racing as I am bagged with airrunners and tdemand arms.
Old 02-18-23, 10:35 AM
firelizard

Received 454 Likes on 359 Posts

Who told you to shorten the spindles? Stop listening to them.
BC or TEIN are the cheapest coilovers worth considering.
The following users liked this post:
KyleH (02-21-23)
Old 02-18-23, 10:58 AM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scigheras
All depends on what you are looking for exactly in the car and how it drives. Just saying "more enjoyable" can mean anything so we can't help you like that.
true i guess i should have been more descriptive, but just a more sports feel to the car, it has old factory shocks/springs, stock 16's and sits way too high. Definitely want to stiffen up the ride more, i already have a street/drift car but the daily deserves better haha.

I heard teins or bc's were a good choice, definitely don't want to break the bank but i can't settle for those ebay 3-400 dollar coilovers.
Old 02-18-23, 11:03 AM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by Julius071
You have 18's flush fitment with stock suspension? I heard bc racing are good with custom spring rates of your choice. I dont have personal experience with bc racing as I am bagged with airrunners and tdemand arms.
oh no, i was saying someone had told me to shorten the spindles (30mm) if and when i decide to get coilovers and get 18's. I want to get 18's eventually and get a good flush look to the car right now the wheel gap looks terrible haha. I just wanted to check with people here before doing so. The guy that told me that drifts his car so maybe that suggestion was specific to drift setups? im not sure.

Old 02-18-23, 11:03 AM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
Who told you to shorten the spindles? Stop listening to them.
BC or TEIN are the cheapest coilovers worth considering.
I mean there's videos on it, i seen people mention it before, granted i haven't done a single "mod" to this car yet so i was seeing if it was necessary or if it was more for a drift car/angle kit reason.
Old 02-18-23, 02:57 PM
firelizard

Received 454 Likes on 359 Posts

You only need to shorten the spindles if you want to be belly-scraping slammed and your upper control arms are hitting the body. It's not a first mod or a necessary mod to moderately lower your car.
Old 02-18-23, 05:04 PM
preemoguru
Rookie

You only need to shorten the spindles if you want to be belly-scraping slammed and your upper control arms are hitting the body. It's not a first mod or a necessary mod to moderately lower your car.
dope thanks for the info, i just wanted to make sure before i start ordering parts. I definitely want to lower the car but it doesn't need to be frame scraping on the ground low. Just a nice/flush street look that's still daily-able.

also, are those kits that have all the parts for the front suspension worth buying? i see them on ebay/amazon. Usually has tie rods and basically everything up front. Wondering if anyone here has run that stuff

https://www.am-autoparts.com/year-mo...%20Group%20One
Old 02-21-23, 09:17 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Lots of counterfeit stuff out there these days. I'd go with a known retailer such as RockAuto and select a quality manufacturer if you need to save some money. Lexus / Toyota OEM if you can afford it.
Old 02-21-23, 12:05 PM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by KyleH
Lots of counterfeit stuff out there these days. I'd go with a known retailer such as RockAuto and select a quality manufacturer if you need to save some money. Lexus / Toyota OEM if you can afford it.
Roger that, good to know. Yea definitely dont want to go too cheap on suspension parts but definitely want to refresh the suspension. It's all old and worn.
Old 12-30-23, 06:21 PM
PinnySkenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have about a half inch of wheel gap in the front on the stock 17” wheels and my upper control arms are at a crazy angle, about an inch from banging into the top of the wheel well. If you’re lowering any decent amount, you should shorten the spindles.
Old 12-30-23, 09:57 PM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by PinnySkenis
I still have about a half inch of wheel gap in the front on the stock 17” wheels and my upper control arms are at a crazy angle, about an inch from banging into the top of the wheel well. If you’re lowering any decent amount, you should shorten the spindles.
damn yea it seems inevitable lol but yea i had went to the junkyard and pulled some spindles, already had them shortend and the dude did a really good job on them. I already replaced everything just gotta order coilovers soon, put some new hubs/bearings in these spindles and it's good to go
Old 12-30-23, 09:59 PM
PinnySkenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by preemoguru
damn yea it seems inevitable lol but yea i had went to the junkyard and pulled some spindles, already had them shortend and the dude did a really good job on them. I already replaced everything just gotta order coilovers soon, put some new hubs/bearings in these spindles and it's good to go
Very nice! How much did you pay for the spindles at the junk yard? I might go that route as well. It looks like you’re looking at a month with most companies that shorten them and I don’t want to be away from my car for that long haha
Old 12-30-23, 10:05 PM
preemoguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by PinnySkenis
Very nice! How much did you pay for the spindles at the junk yard? I might go that route as well. It looks like you’re looking at a month with most companies that shorten them and I don’t want to be away from my car for that long haha
At the junkyard here I paid i believe $80? and that's because the hubs/bearings were still there, im sure if i could remove them it'd be cheaper (hard to do without a press in the junkyard haha), and then i just boxed them up and shipped them out to a dude on ebay.
Search
(Front Spindle Shortening **Service** Lexus GS300 JZS160 JZS147 Stance VIP),
dude name "skidbilly" he did a real solid job and i've seen other spindle shortening jobs that looked sketchy, this **** is very clean!! and yea it's worth spending the money to pull them at the yard. My GS is my daily so i didn't want to be without my daily for that long.

Quick Reply: suspension upgragdes/shortened spindles?