Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Side to side bounce - 2018 GS 350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 12:08 AM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side to side bounce - 2018 GS 350 F Sport

None of the threads I've seen address this. On uneven or bumpy surfaces, I'm getting side bounce to the point where my head is tilting from one side to the other, constantly. Love the car. And aside from this issue, I love the ride in all 3 modes.

Also own a 2006 Infiniti G35. Like the GS, I feel the road. But it doesn't toss me left and right.

Currently, I have the suspension set to "sport." This mitigates the effect a little, but it is still doing it.

Thoughts?
Old 12-31-23, 08:16 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like a failing or failed damper. Check your shocks for oil on the body.
Old 01-01-24, 10:31 AM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I will get that checked!!
Old 02-12-24, 12:01 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

So, I've now replaced all shocks and struts, as well as rear camber bushings. I've inflated the Michelin Pilot Sport+ tires to 45 lbs on all 4 corners (they were at 36 lbs.) In the "Customize Drive Mode" settings, I set chassis to "Sport." All of these help mitigate the effect a little bit. Still, there are many moments when the car just feels like it's teetering side-to-side. I've spoken to Lexus techs and trainers. One of them told me "they all do this." I recently drove a brand new RX, and yes. I felt it a little bit. Wondering if I'm making more out of this, than it's worth. But it is annoying AF. And, it is the only thing keeping me from being truly in love with this car. Any additional thoughts?
Old 02-12-24, 01:57 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

How many miles does your car have? If you are experiencing excessive roll just driving down the road from uneven surfaces, the only think I could think would be left would be sway bar endlinks, but those would be clunking if they were starting to go bad.

The side to side "bounce that you describe: Is it the car following the undulations in the road too closely, or is it that the car is not reacting quickly enough to undulations in the road causing additional oscillations? Are you looking for more body control (stiff and nimble) or less body control (float over everything)?

My understanding is that 2018 had the softest springs and dampers of all years of the GS350.
Old 02-12-24, 03:19 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Panyo64. It's got 76K miles. That's very interesting about 2018 having the softest springs & dampers. So, does that mean they switched back to firmer ones for 2019 and 2020?

I don't think it's sway bar related. There's no clunking. And, in high-speed turns (i.e.: highway on/off ramps) the car stays flat. One side never feels like its higher than the other. As far as following undulations in the road too closely/not closely enough, I think it's ok where it is. I have a 2006 Infiniti G35 that feels like it follows road undulations closely and firmly, but it never creates this kind of side-to-side teeter-totter effect. I would say I'm looking for a bit more body control, unless the tradeoff for getting there is a super harsh ride. I'm not saying it needs to ride exactly like the Infiniti. It's a big luxo-Lexus after all. I just think it's weird that my head keeps bobbing from side to side. Pretty sure that's not luxury.
Old 02-12-24, 03:28 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pwendy
Thank you, Panyo64. It's got 76K miles. That's very interesting about 2018 having the softest springs & dampers. So, does that mean they switched back to firmer ones for 2019 and 2020?

I don't think it's sway bar related. There's no clunking. And, in high-speed turns (i.e.: highway on/off ramps) the car stays flat. One side never feels like its higher than the other. As far as following undulations in the road too closely/not closely enough, I think it's ok where it is. I have a 2006 Infiniti G35 that feels like it follows road undulations closely and firmly, but it never creates this kind of side-to-side teeter-totter effect. I would say I'm looking for a bit more body control, unless the tradeoff for getting there is a super harsh ride. I'm not saying it needs to ride exactly like the Infiniti. It's a big luxo-Lexus after all. I just think it's weird that my head keeps bobbing from side to side. Pretty sure that's not luxury.
I'm surprised it's doing this even in Sport+. Even stock, the car should be fairly buttoned down with the shocks firmed up. I have a 2018 AWD F-Sport, so the suspension is tuned slightly differently, but while there is a bit of wallow in Eco/Normal/Sport, but there is decent damping (for an OEM luxury sport sedan) in Sport+.

I had an 04 G35 6MT, and that car was very well damped out of the box.
Old 02-12-24, 04:36 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Exactly why I can't let go of that Infiniti! Anyway, I haven't spent much time in Sport+. Just short bursts. I'll try driving it around normally for a bit in Sport+. I just hope that's not the solution though, as I expect I'll go through a lot of gas, that way. Maybe I'll bring it back to the shop that replaced the shocks/struts and see if there is a chance they missed something.
Old 02-15-24, 01:36 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

@panyo64 So, I've put almost 150 miles on it since our last exchange, strictly in Sport S+. Here's what I have to report. It is much better behaved. This seems to mitigate the issue down to the point where it's really nice driving the car. But, I can still feel moments where the car wants to teeter-totter, though not as significantly as it does in Sport or Normal settings. So, my take-away is having it in Sport S+ masks the problem, but either something else is causing it, or this is just how it is. Besides using up more gas at take-off, is there a downside to keeping it in Sport S+ all the time?
Old 02-15-24, 01:48 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

@panyo64 So, I've put almost 150 miles on it since our last exchange, strictly in Sport S+. Here's what I have to report. It is much better behaved. This seems to mitigate the issue down to the point where it's really nice driving the car. But, I can still feel moments where the car wants to teeter-totter, though not as significantly as it does in Sport or Normal settings. So, my take-away is having it in Sport S+ masks the problem, but either something else is causing it, or this is just how it is. Besides using up more gas at take-off, is there a downside to keeping it in Sport S+ all the time?
Theoretically you could wear out the damper seals more quickly, due to increased heat/pressure within the damper.

If you want S+ suspension without Sport/S+ Powertrain, you can set that as your Custom Mode in the settings, and just press the drive mode selector dial down to select Custom.
Old 02-15-24, 03:22 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Outstanding! Did not realize. When I've gone to Drive Mode Customization in settings, I thought my only choices under "chassis" are Normal or Sport. So, you're saying if I hold the drive mode selector down, I should be able to choose Sport S+. I'll try that.
Old 02-15-24, 03:28 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Outstanding! Did not realize. When I've gone to Drive Mode Customization in settings, I thought my only choices under "chassis" are Normal or Sport. So, you're saying if I hold the drive mode selector down, I should be able to choose Sport S+. I'll try that.
Not exactly. The "Sport" option for Chassis in Drive Mode Customization is what you get when you select S+ normally. For what you are looking for, select Normal Climate, Normal Powertrain, Sport Chassis in Drive Mode Customization. Then press the dial down once to select "Custom Mode" and you will have stiff dampers with standard throttle/transmission response.
Old 02-15-24, 04:05 PM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

It's quite likely that I'm an idiot. But, I'm not seeing any other options for "Chassis" besides "Normal" and "Sport." Definitely, pressing the Drive Mode button brings up the word "Customize," but it doesn't let you do anything after that. If I go into the "Customize Drive Mode" screen in "Settings" and then I push the Drive Mode selector, the same thing happens. The word "Customize" shows up in the MID and the smaller right hand screen in the main display. And then, nothing. Pushing the Drive Mode button down only puts it back into "Normal" mode. Holding that button down also does nothing. I can go into "Customize" and then twist the Drive Mode selector twice, to choose Sport S+. But, I'm pretty sure the engine/gearing will be in Sport S+ mode until the car goes off. So, I'm either missing something with the "Customize mode or it doesn't do anything. Also, the Owner's Manual isn't a whole lot of help. If I'm reading it right, my only choice is Normal or Sport.
Old 02-15-24, 08:47 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

1. Go to Customize Drive Mode.
2. Select Normal Climate, Normal Powertrain, Sport Suspension.
3. Exit Settings.
4. Press the mode selector dial down. Custom will pop up on the screen.
5. Drive. You now have Sport S+ steering and damping with normal throttle response.

When you rotate the dial to Sport, what you are actually getting is Normal Climate, Sport Powertrain, Normal Suspension.
When you rotate the dial to Sport S+, what you are actually getting is Normal Climate, Sport Powertrain, Sport Suspension.

There is no "Sport S+" Suspension, only Normal and Sport.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 02-15-24 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-16-24, 08:46 AM
Pwendy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very, very much for explaining that. I'll try it out this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Side to side bounce - 2018 GS 350 F Sport