Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

adaptive variable suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 09:51 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adaptive variable suspension

Someone try to explain this to me... The new ES330 since 02 has had the adaptive variable suspension, but ONLY the new 430 will have avs, and the 300 won't. Isn't the GS the sportier vehicle of lexus, thus is should have this feature on both the 300 and 430. Why does the ES get AVS standard?
Old 01-02-05, 11:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

AVS is not standard in the ES. It's a package option.
Old 01-03-05, 12:13 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, the system in the GS has a better platform from which to start.
Old 01-03-05, 09:23 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by biker
Plus, the system in the GS has a better platform from which to start.

You dummy. the new gs does and will have adaptive varaible suspension as an option not as a standard feature.
Old 01-03-05, 09:26 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Nice. I thought it wasn't going to be available. I think with all these options, it can make the car another 10k.
Old 01-03-05, 01:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if there has been any confirmation, but are you sure that only the 430 will offer the AVS? With sportier competition from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Infiniti offering a Sport version of the new M35...it would only make sense for Lexus to endow the 300 with the AVS feature. If the 300 doesn't come out with AVS at launch, maybe it will become available when the GS350 arrives in a year and a half/two years or so. Though that seems like an awfully long time. I know that Lexus is first and foremost a Luxury brand, but they have touted being more serious about performance and now follow up with some of the weakest engines in their classes.

I don't want to sound negative and I don't want to sound like I'm jumping to conclusions, but there is so much riding on the new GS that I hope the GS300 doesn't come in as a seriously watered down entree when the rest of the V6 competition is almost a more compelling buy over the corresponding V8 models.

It would have been nice to have seen Lexus really answer the competition by offering a GS350 (275-285HP) and a GS460 (340-350HP) at launch instead of maybe offering them two years down the road. I know the GS300 and GS430 will be legitimate cars and will probably garner a lot of points in areas other than performance, but there is no denying that Lexus has dissapointed when considering raw power. The horsepower numbers may undermine the actual performance ones...but I can't help but wish that Lexus had laid down ALL the cards with the new GS . I know that Lexus is first and foremost a luxury brand, but they have touted being more serious about performance and now follow up with some of the weakest engines in their classes. I also know that there's more to a car than just engine power, but we're in the midst of a horsepower race and Lexus has just refused to play the game.

We'll see how things look at launch in a few months I guess.

I know flipside is going to reply and make me look like an idiot (lol) so I guess I'm waiting for it :-D

-Michael-

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-03-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 02:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I

I know flipside is going to reply and make me look like an idiot (lol) so I guess I'm waiting for it :-
I will refrain this time. Just for you!
Old 01-03-05, 02:51 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well GS300 does't come with VDM or at least it's not standard so I don't know about AVS being offered.
If you read the preview-brochure it lists all kinds of things for GS430 but GS300 is very poor when comes to driving technology like that.
Old 01-03-05, 03:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will refrain this time. Just for you!
I'd like to know what you have to say about it honestly...
Old 01-03-05, 07:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know if there has been any confirmation, but are you sure that only the 430 will offer the AVS? With sportier competition from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Infiniti offering a Sport version of the new M35...it would only make sense for Lexus to endow the 300 with the AVS feature. If the 300 doesn't come out with AVS at launch, maybe it will become available when the GS350 arrives in a year and a half/two years or so. Though that seems like an awfully long time. I know that Lexus is first and foremost a Luxury brand, but they have touted being more serious about performance and now follow up with some of the weakest engines in their classes.

I don't want to sound negative and I don't want to sound like I'm jumping to conclusions, but there is so much riding on the new GS that I hope the GS300 doesn't come in as a seriously watered down entree when the rest of the V6 competition is almost a more compelling buy over the corresponding V8 models.

It would have been nice to have seen Lexus really answer the competition by offering a GS350 (275-285HP) and a GS460 (340-350HP) at launch instead of maybe offering them two years down the road. I know the GS300 and GS430 will be legitimate cars and will probably garner a lot of points in areas other than performance, but there is no denying that Lexus has dissapointed when considering raw power. The horsepower numbers may undermine the actual performance ones...but I can't help but wish that Lexus had laid down ALL the cards with the new GS . I know that Lexus is first and foremost a luxury brand, but they have touted being more serious about performance and now follow up with some of the weakest engines in their classes. I also know that there's more to a car than just engine power, but we're in the midst of a horsepower race and Lexus has just refused to play the game.

Hmmm let me take a stab at it. As for AVS, it's more of a luxury item more than a necessity. Most Lexus buyers find the standard suspension setup to be perfectly fine. Of course those like us enthusiasts are more inclined to go with something sporty especially something w/options. AVS does drive up the price but it's usually something that the average Lexus buyer wouldn't even use or care about. I guarantee you that most of the ES300/330 owners w/AVS use it maybe once a month if that.

As for the HP talk with the vehicles. Lexus is definitely not in a huge HP/Displacement war w/it's competitors, rather they are using the most technology can bring and make a package that is already well done even better. Basically maximizing the goods they already have. If you think about it, the first LS400 and SC400 came with a healthy 4.0L V8 w/only 250hp. That was more than adequate at it's time. Now we're seeing V6's that have the potential to hit 300hp...and more. But what does that leave Lexus in the future? Yes 300hp is alot of hp, but realistically, for the average driver, do you really need all that HP to get from A to B? Not really. Most owners wouldn't even use the full potential of the power that's provided. If Lexus were to jump into the HP/Displacement king game, what would that Leave lexus 10 years from now? A 1000hp V8 that's pretty useless since the real usable power will really only be 1/4 of that? I'm willing to bet you there will be more sales of the GS3 than the V8 variant due to price and actual need. Just look at the RX and ES, they're Lexus best selling models, true they're not the HP/Displacement king in their class, nor are they have the most bang for the buck in their class, but their combination of goods is what appeals to most consumers.

I think Lexus is playing it smart w/the HP numbers. True we all want to see Lexus on top of the competition, but you can only stay on top for so long until the next manufacturer puts their $0.02 into the pot. For example the 98 GS400 when it first came out in 97 was the fastest automatic sedan in the world...not until a few months later Jaguar stepped it up with the XJS and beat the GS400 by a couple of ticks (5.8 0-60 for the GS and 5.3 for the XJS at the time). Look at is if Lexus is leaving plenty of room for growth, instead of just using up all of it's goodies at one time. Toyota/Lexus has always used newer powertrain upgrades mid year in production to 1) help keep up w/competitors to a comfortable level 2) make use of new technologies and equipment to increase the efficiency of the current offerings. They're playing their cards safely despite what we like and dislike. They have a winning combination, and their profit and growth proves that.
Old 01-04-05, 01:18 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jarrett
You dummy. the new gs does and will have adaptive varaible suspension as an option not as a standard feature.
Did you understand my post? I didn't say anything about the availability of AVS - I said the new GS platform will be a better platform onto which one could add AVS.
Old 02-06-05, 11:12 AM
frebay
Pole Position

if you guys are saying that the gs is a better platform and doesn't need the avs, and only the es needs the avs, y does the 430 get avs.
Old 02-06-05, 11:28 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Rockville told us the GS300 does not get the AVS nor will it be offered as an option. it is only in the 430 standard. The GS 2006 product information pamphlet that was 10 pages (press kit)confirms this as well.
Old 02-06-05, 12:50 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AVS history and HP wars

It is true that we had AVS on our ES300's and if you walked up to one and put all of your weight on the corner of the trunk it would hardly budge an inch. The AVS can change back and forth at the touch of a switch. Most of the ES buyers didn't see a need to spend $1800 extra on an entry level lux sedan. I can count on my left hand how many I delivered. They drove well but just cost too much.

Lexus has pulled AVS off the shelf to enhance the driving pleasure of those who want the maximum sport in their Lexus GS430 and made it standard. If there is a clamour of requests for it on the GS300 then maybe it will trickle down in the future. It all comes down to money.

I totally agree with Flipside about the HP wars. If we had a 310 HP V6 to introduce right now then what would be the point of a 300 HP V8? I am still wondering at the potential of the 3.5V6 mated with an Electric motor/generator. It might make the V8 obsolete in many ways. That's one area you don't hear anything from BMW, Mercedes, Audi about. MB does make a very good diesel powerplant. Like cupholders they just don't do Hybrids in der Fatherland......
Old 02-07-05, 07:38 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AVS Correction on GS430

Earlier I reported on one of the threads that AVS had 4 positions. In previous vehicles it did have 4 positions but I was watching some video of the interior today of the GS430 and I saw a simple rocker switch with Sport/Normal as polar selections. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused...........