Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

photos update - TEIN c/o max lowered

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 06:16 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yes that's what i'm talking about..that's a good height actually...where my car sits right now w/ stock shocks is a bit too low. Yours looks really good...you must live in Irvine
Old 01-18-06, 06:53 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks killer. As my old boss would say: "your stuff is dumped..."

If you wanted to get the rear a little lower, you could remove the rear c/o assembly and remove
the lower jamb nut (ring) on the spring perch. You would just use the upper of the two nuts
(they appear to be green in the picture) to support the bottom of the springs- no reason
to lock them down if they're already all the way down. You would lower the car by the
thickness of the lower ring- perhaps 5 or 6mm.

I've considered doing this with my H&Rs, but I can still drop them 6mm from where the car
sits now (which is fairly low) and I still need to finish the audio installation (probably 75 lbs.)

To clarify, the lack of camber adjustment is no fault of the coilover, it has to do with the
way Lexus designed the 3GS suspension. If a camber kit were available, it would likely
be about $499 for a four wheel kit (it would include new front upper A-arms and new rear
toe and upper control links). Would there be any takers?.
Old 01-18-06, 08:28 PM
akim47
Driver

thanx for the info... so, its safe to do that? remove the lower ring (leaving only one). In addition, that ring, if it happens to come loose, is the only thing holding the lower cup and spring in place...

as for the camber kit... i didn't know that. that's good info. i might be interested in the camber kit if it was available...

ak
Old 01-18-06, 09:49 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Looks killer. As my old boss would say: "your stuff is dumped..."

If you wanted to get the rear a little lower, you could remove the rear c/o assembly and remove
the lower jamb nut (ring) on the spring perch. You would just use the upper of the two nuts
(they appear to be green in the picture) to support the bottom of the springs- no reason
to lock them down if they're already all the way down. You would lower the car by the
thickness of the lower ring- perhaps 5 or 6mm.

I've considered doing this with my H&Rs, but I can still drop them 6mm from where the car
sits now (which is fairly low) and I still need to finish the audio installation (probably 75 lbs.)

To clarify, the lack of camber adjustment is no fault of the coilover, it has to do with the
way Lexus designed the 3GS suspension. If a camber kit were available, it would likely
be about $499 for a four wheel kit (it would include new front upper A-arms and new rear
toe and upper control links). Would there be any takers?.
hmmmph you know where i stand
Old 01-19-06, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
Thanks to all for the positive comments. Thanks Rominl. Im lazy so I almost didn't re-lower it. Yes they are SS line, and yes, if I could do it over again, I would wait for the CS or Flex.

Also, I should have gone with a 10.5 in the rear, or a more aggressive offset. No rubbin issues in the rear.
no problem man, i think your car is almost like the first 3gs with coilovers? that's big props man. so the ss is specifically for the 3gs? i wonder when they will have tein cs and flex for the car, that would be aweome. would you change it afterwards?

about camber kits, good stuff, but once you get it you will need to be careful, coz' you can put the wheel alignment back to spec, but then the top of the wheel will stick out more and that's more chance of rubbing

and yeah, if you get 10.5 you can probably play with offset a bit to make it look even better. trust me when i changed from 9.5 to 10, and now 10.5 in my gs400, you can totally see the difference from the back
Old 01-19-06, 06:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and yeah, if you get 10.5 you can probably play with offset a bit to make it look even better. trust me when i changed from 9.5 to 10, and now 10.5 in my gs400, you can totally see the difference from the back
Why would 10.5 compared to 10 inches in the back cause that much of a difference in the looks? After all you are using the same tire width in either case right? 275? I can see it making a difference in looks if the tire is wider now say 285 mm compared to what you had with the 10 inch rim.

My rear rim which looks pretty wide to me is 9.5 and the tire is 275 mm.
Old 01-19-06, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hameed
Why would 10.5 compared to 10 inches in the back cause that much of a difference in the looks? After all you are using the same tire width in either case right? 275? I can see it making a difference in looks if the tire is wider now say 285 mm compared to what you had with the 10 inch rim.

actually, i do have 285, hahhaa

but even between my 9.5 and 10, they both had 275, but on the 10, the tires are a bit more stretched out than on the 9.5, so it helps to make it looks wider.

think of it this way, when you look from the back (say you lying on the floor), most of the stuff you see are the width of the rim. the tires are merely just the bottom say 2 inches or so. that means the overall width of the rim will give you some illusion
Old 01-19-06, 02:20 PM
LexFather

My LexusLord that looks incredible. Outstanding work
Old 01-19-06, 02:29 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

That Looks hot!
Old 01-20-06, 02:35 PM
akim47
Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed

its not bout the 275s... i'd keep my 275s and stretch it a lil (would prob help it fit into the wheel well...). if i went with a 10.5 with almost same offset, my lip would have been 84mm vs. 72. That or i could have dropped my offset on the 10" wheel by 12mm to get the added lip... unfortunately, lexus doesn't allow for aggressive the same way bmw's do...

ak
Old 01-20-06, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by akim47
its not bout the 275s... i'd keep my 275s and stretch it a lil (would prob help it fit into the wheel well...). if i went with a 10.5 with almost same offset, my lip would have been 84mm vs. 72. That or i could have dropped my offset on the 10" wheel by 12mm to get the added lip... unfortunately, lexus doesn't allow for aggressive the same way bmw's do...

ak
yeah i agree, i wish lexus cars can take more aggressive offsets. currently only sc430 has that
Old 01-20-06, 10:12 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing.The car looks great !!!!
I'm jealous.....I need springs!!!!
Old 12-07-07, 11:56 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I think your cars stance is perfect. I have tein ss coilovers on my 2nd gen gs400 and it feels fine to me maybe a little stiff nothing a little dampeneing tuning cant fix but then again im on the stock 17inch rims. If I could do it again the only way i would go cs or flex would be if I got them at the price I paid for the tein ss. I'm not into dumping damn near 1500 in coilovers.
Old 12-07-07, 02:13 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Looks nice. I was looking for pics of a silver GS on wheels and a nice drop, this seems to fit the bill pretty well. Hopefully with the Tanabe DF210s, the drop will be around this.
Old 12-07-07, 02:22 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about the alignment issue. Around here we have a local place called "Miami Chassis" and they have been able to fix the problem without the camber kit. It does involve drilling new holes and so on, but I am willing to do that if it saves tires. From what my friends were telling me, it was like 300 bucks but since I am going to be sitting on springs so it won't be too often that I need an alignment unless I hit something.

Quick Reply: photos update - TEIN c/o max lowered